Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,000 times

Advertisements

Recently noticed some 2+ acre parcels for sale in Waa Waa area a couple are from Kings Hwy to the ocean. and a number across the same road a ways back in the bushes. Would love some feed back on what it might be like trying to live that close to the ocean in the tropics!! I live on the water in the state of Washington(Hoods Canal)which is in the rain forest catagory. Cold & wet in winter and into the spring with very short summers if any at all!! OLD OLD so I spend a lot of time in the Puna area every year and need some advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 04:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times
Are you asking about the area to build? You have been to yes? You mean the dirt road - used to be called the red road going from HI shores to light house?

Love Waa Waa - myself - I think it is the best drive on the island... I looked at property there too but it was a little to pricey for me for raw land when I looked. You do know it is off the grid - no power water internet phone- cell phone does work at end of road each way in two spots (at least mine )

- the road gets pounded with the rains.. no big deal for me but some dont like that driving in and around mud puddles and they maintained it a couple of times when I was there this winter. And mold,mosquitos and frogs lots of..after the rains I wouldn't get out of the car without being bit up... occassional burned cars the kids get stupid at times - and it just gets me PO when they dump garbage on the road ... but it is still very nice. The houses I pass in night usually have generators running.

People are typically nice on the road - pull over and lots of shakas...

I have lived in WA for years also and I really can't see comparing the areas - other than the rain in HI can be allot harder (past couple of months pounding rain) but it is warmer!!!

My friend lives at the end of road on cliff in HI Shores Rec - she doesn't have any barrier from the trees so her house has to be treated as living on a boat with the salt. No outside sockets - wash the salt off the windows every couple of weeks - keep car in garage- wax it regularly... electrical gagets phones etc wiring tend to rust out regularly...

Hope some of that helps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island