Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,253 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Trussville area from DC for my job. I am mixed raced and I am worried about my mixed raced daughter with a disability. Are the Schools good for children with disabilities and mixed ethnicities? I want her to feel welcomed not as an outsider. I must admit that I have heard stories of racisim in the area. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 AM

234 posts, read 708,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papillion1 View Post
I am looking to move to Trussville area from DC for my job. I am mixed raced and I am worried about my mixed raced daughter with a disability. Are the Schools good for children with disabilities and mixed ethnicities? I want her to feel welcomed not as an outsider. I must admit that I have heard stories of racisim in the area. Please help.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially in the suburbs.

Most people outside the city center are more worried about children being successful than they are about the race of a person.

I went to a school that is similar to Birmingham suburb schools and I can tell you that things will probably be beneficial for your daughter. If anything turns out poorly, go to the principal or even the school districts superintendent. Most "higher ups" in the school systems in Alabama just want to see kids succeed, and if you confront them with problems, they'll usually do all they can to help.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM

17 posts, read 23,968 times
Quote:
There is still a lot of racism here. I moved from a major NE city as well and its a little behind the times...Is your job in Trussville and what type of housing are you looking at?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 AM

4 posts, read 9,724 times
I'm a bit biased as I'm highland park but I always that Lakeview was the place for a Dave & Busters, close enough to walk to bars and restaurants.http://www.filii.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Thanks for the Information.

Thank you for your response and honesty. I am looking forward to relocateing to AL. I pray that my daughter enjoys being there.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Miv

156 posts, read 351,149 times
Quote:

Plenty of mixed raced kids in schools down here. I have no knowledge of how Trussville schools are structured concerning kids with disabilities.
I know in Birmngham we have 1 elementary school (Epic) that accomodates kids with disabilities; it is a magnet school for gifted kids & disabled kids.

You can check out the Exceptional Foundation, they may have some resources and information for you. The Exceptional Foundation | Meeting the social and recreational needs of the mentally and/or physically challenged individuals of greater Birmingham.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM

Thank you so much for the resource. I will contact the exceptional foundation for guidance. Thanks !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area