Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 11:55 AM

30 posts, read 59,131 times

Advertisements

We are giving serious thought to moving to Birmingham from New England as my high schooler's top five college list centers on Birmingham (and nearby locales). We're looking to get established not only for that reason but also to put down roots for retirement (eventually).

Per the very helpful suggestion at the opening of this sticky, here are some of our particulars. I would greatly appreciate suggestions that help me to focus my research. Having bought a home in New England while in California, I've found I'm pretty comfortable making some choices from afar and I've found City Data Forum to be immensely helpful with the process.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice! Happy New Year!

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?

We are not constrained by this issue. My husband works remotely and commutes aren't an issue. That said, eventually my daughter is interested in both Sampson and UAB so insight into that might be helpful but not a deal breaker. My husband will also be returning to heavy business travel so insight into airport access is helpful. I definitely do NOT want to be in an airport flight path though.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment?

We are looking for a single family home. We are open to single or two levels but do not like split levels. Our price range is up to $850k. We are open to both new construction and existing homes. Minimum 3BR, 2 Baths with flexible space including at least one dedicated office space.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs?

We have one high school aged child. A safe, college-preparatory education is important to us. Coming from an intensely liberal school district in New England we would prefer a moderate ideological perspective and one based more in classical education versus the new "woke" culture that is currently dominating our area.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?

I am an avid gardener, we are heavy library users (so a good library system is especially important to us), and we would ideally be in an area that allows us reasonable access to things like the arts/museums without sitting in hours of traffic to do even the most basic things. We are also avid cooks so we prefer to live in reasonably close proximity (or have access to) decent grocery stores, CSAs, and/or local farmers' markets.

5) Do you have special medical needs?

We do want to live reasonably close to good medical care for the future as we're looking at a retirement home (for the future) as well as our current needs.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?

We've always had tremendous luck with our neighbors and have lived in friendly areas which we prefer. That said, we're in the middle of town with houses very close together which has its benefits and drawbacks. While we can walk to everything (including the commuter rail, shopping, the library, etc) it's also not very green and it's definitely not quiet. I'd love to hear about different neighborhoods/suburbs and some of their pros/cons. We like to frequent local businesses and enjoy having a quaint town center. However, what we don't like is some of the noise and definitely the heavy traffic. We like a quiet, safe neighborhood and a well run/managed city/town. At least a small yard for gardening is a must.

Thank you again for any insight/suggestions about where to look (and even where to avoid).

Last edited by gettingoutofpa; 01-02-2021 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 12:53 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,773,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingoutofpa View Post
We are giving serious thought to moving to Birmingham from New England as my high schooler's top five college list centers on Birmingham (and nearby locales). We're looking to get established not only for that reason but also to put down roots for retirement (eventually).

Per the very helpful suggestion at the opening of this sticky, here are some of our particulars. I would greatly appreciate suggestions that help me to focus my research. Having bought a home in New England while in California, I've found I'm pretty comfortable making some choices from afar and I've found City Data Forum to be immensely helpful with the process.

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?

We are not constrained by this issue. My husband works remotely and commutes aren't an issue. That said, eventually my daughter is interested in both Sampson and UAB so insight into that might be helpful but not a deal breaker. My husband will also be returning to heavy business travel so insight into airport access is helpful. I definitely do NOT want to be in an airport flight path though.

We are looking for a single family home. We are open to single or two levels but do not like split levels. Our price range is up to $850k. We are open to both new construction and existing homes. Minimum 3BR, 2 Baths with flexible space including at least one dedicated office space.

We have one high school aged child. A safe, college-preparatory education is important to us. Coming from an intensely liberal school district in New England we would prefer a moderate ideological perspective and one based more in classical education versus the new "woke" culture that is currently dominating our area.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?

I am an avid gardener, we are heavy library users (so a good library system is especially important to us), and we would ideally be in an area that allows us reasonable access to things like the arts/museums without sitting in hours of traffic to do even the most basic things. We are also avid cooks so we prefer to live in reasonably close proximity (or have access to) decent grocery stores, CSAs, and/or local farmers' markets.

We do want to live reasonably close to good medical care for the future as we're looking at a retirement home (for the future) as well as our current needs.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?

We've always had tremendous luck with our neighbors and have lived in friendly areas which we prefer. That said, we're in the middle of town with houses very close together which has its benefits and drawbacks. While we can walk to everything (including the commuter rail, shopping, the library, etc) it's also not very green and it's definitely not quiet. I'd love to hear about different neighborhoods/suburbs and some of their pros/cons. We like to frequent local businesses and enjoy having a quaint town center. However, what we don't like is some of the noise and definitely the heavy traffic. We like a quiet, safe neighborhood and a well run/managed city/town. At least a small yard for gardening is a must.

Thank you again for any insight/suggestions about where to look (and even where to avoid).

With your price range and relative lack of requirements regarding commute, you'll have the pick of the litter. If you wind up in the city limits of Birmingham (or possibly a few other areas with underperforming public schools), you'd probably want to consider private school. For public school districts, Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, Homewood, Hoover (most areas), and Oak Mountain (north Shelby County) are probably the best. You'll get a little more home for your dollar in most areas of Hoover and Oak Mountain school districts than Vestavia/Homewood, but you will be a few minutes further away from downtown.

Truthfully, in most suburbs of Birmingham, you can probably spend half of your budget and get a pretty adequate home that would fit your needs. Only the most exclusive addresses in the poshiest suburbs are going to rub up against the top of your price range, especially if you just need 3 bedrooms and less than 2500 square feet.

I don't really know of any area libraries that are considered top-notch. I found Hoover's library to be more than adequate... but I'm a millenial and have very little basis for comparison.

New construction homes are typically going to have smaller lots than older, more established neighborhoods. But again, in your price range, you'd easily be able to find a home, even new construction, on a 0.5 to 2+ acres for quite the large garden if you so desire.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:56 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingoutofpa View Post

I'll sound like a broken record, so forgive me ahead of time. Pretty much Forest Park/Redmont is likely an ideal neighborhood for you to consider should your daughter's choices bring you to Birmingham. It's an area that is close to downtown with lots of older, graceful homes. Living there also gives you access to a good restaurant scene and cultural amenities (Covid not withstanding. But that's everywhere).

What's more, $850K will get you a really nice home.

As far as school is concerned, the Forest Park/Redmont area is City of Birmingham, which is not a recommendation I'd make. However, Altamont is an exceptional private school. If public is the route you want to take, Mountain Brook and Homewood are exceptional school systems. I don't know how they would stack up against where you currently live, but they perform very well on a national level. If you are wanting public vs. private, then Edgewood or Holllywood (Homewood) and Crestline (Mountain Brook) fit your description.

If gardening is your thing, there are all kinds of opportunities. The Botanical Gardens, as one example, would be almost at your doorstep and is always looking for volunteers. I know a couple of people who help there.

The airport is very close to downtown. We live in the Redmont part of town and the airport is about a 10-minute Uber ride for us.

The library system is top-notch, but currently very restricted in its operations due to Covid.

Healthcare is possibly Birmingham's best asset. Seriously good.

But, of course, my opinions are subjective. The best thing to do is, if your daughter chooses to make a campus visit, to take an extra day and drive around. That way, you'll get the feel of the place, which will speak better to your needs than anything I could say.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:58 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'll sound like a broken record, so forgive me ahead of time. Pretty much Forest Park/Redmont is likely an ideal neighborhood for you to consider should your daughter's choices bring you to Birmingham. It's an area that is close to downtown with lots of older, graceful homes. Living there also gives you access to a good restaurant scene and cultural amenities (Covid not withstanding. But that's everywhere).

What's more, $850K will get you a really nice home.

As far as school is concerned, the Forest Park/Redmont area is City of Birmingham, which is not a recommendation I'd make. However, Altamont is an exceptional private school. If public is the route you want to take, Mountain Brook and Homewood are exceptional school systems. I don't know how they would stack up against where you currently live, but they perform very well on a national level. If you are wanting public vs. private, then Edgewood or Holllywood (Homewood) and Crestline (Mountain Brook) fit your description.

If gardening is your thing, there are all kinds of opportunities. The Botanical Gardens, as one example, would be almost at your doorstep and is always looking for volunteers. I know a couple of people who help there.

The airport is very close to downtown. We live in the Redmont part of town and the airport is about a 10-minute Uber ride for us.

The library system is top-notch, but currently very restricted in its operations due to Covid.

Healthcare is possibly Birmingham's best asset. Seriously good.

But, of course, my opinions are subjective. The best thing to do is, if your daughter chooses to make a campus visit, to take an extra day and drive around. That way, you'll get the feel of the place, which will speak better to your needs than anything I could say.

How is the noise from the airport?

Old 01-02-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

The main flight path is far away from those neighborhoods, on an east-west axis several miles away. From my house, I actually have a clear view of aircraft landing in the distance. There is the occasional flight on a north-south axis that's closer, but the noise is inconsiderable.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:01 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,235,766 times
Quote:
i live in crestwood, less than 2 miles as the crow flies and almost directly south of the airport and in the flight path of the north/south runway. as mentioned, that runway is not used heavily, and even when it is, it doesn't bother me.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:43 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,036,148 times
I notice the University is near this area. What kind of access does the community have to the campus activities? Can you attend classes? Attend lectures? Visiting scholars, artists? Are these open to the public?

Old 01-02-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I notice the University is near this area. What kind of access does the community have to the campus activities? Can you attend classes? Attend lectures? Visiting scholars, artists? Are these open to the public?

I can't answer that fully. I do start taking Masters classes at UAB as a non-degree student in January. But I'm sure there are provisions for sitting in on classes and lectures.

UAB is literally a mile or two away from the areas I originally recommended and has become a fantastic asset to the city as a whole. It has a really terrific concert hall in the Alys Stephens Center and a nearby art gallery. Given that UAB has always tried to nurture strong connections with the surrounding community, I would imagine it wouldn't be a probably at all.

The Birmingham Museum of Art, the Sidewalk Film Festival, the Birmingham Civil Rights Museum, and other institutions also typically have guest lecturer series as well.

Again, these are all pre-Covid.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 01-02-2021 at 06:20 PM..

Old 01-02-2021, 07:30 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,235,766 times
Quote:
i don't really have firsthand knowledge regarding this either, but i will say that UAB integrates seamlessly into the south side of downtown (and practically comprises the entire thing, tbh...). so you'll never feel like you're "entering" or "leaving" campus in that sense... you'll just be in it depending on which street you are on. as such, i never feel like an outsider even though i'm not a student.

visiting lecturers/scholars artists definitely can be enjoyed by those in the community, especially through on-campus venues such as the alys stephens center and the abroms-engel institute for the visual arts. attending classes by outsiders probably requires a special circumstance, though.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i don't really have firsthand knowledge regarding this either, but i will say that UAB integrates seamlessly into the south side of downtown (and practically comprises the entire thing, tbh...). so you'll never feel like you're "entering" or "leaving" campus in that sense... you'll just be in it depending on which street you are on. as such, i never feel like an outsider even though i'm not a student.

visiting lecturers/scholars artists definitely can be enjoyed by those in the community, especially through on-campus venues such as the alys stephens center and the abroms-engel institute for the visual arts. attending classes by outsiders probably requires a special circumstance, though.

To that end, here are some websites that can introduce our guest to available opportunities in the community.

https://www.artsbma.org/

https://www.nps.gov/bicr/index.htm

https://www.alysstephens.org/

https://www.sidewalkfest.com/

https://www.uab.edu/aeiva/

https://bbgardens.org/

https://www.birmingham365.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area