Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM

50 posts, read 194,812 times

Advertisements

Looking for a nice area for a retirement home, been checking out Alabama for over a year. Zeroing in on the Birmingham area. Would like a few acres, close to shopping, restaurants in the $375,000 price range. Are these areas, Chelsea, Alabaster, Pelham, good choices or should I check some other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,329 times
I would go towards Chelsea area. Pelham and Alabaster are getting kinda crowded and (to me) the prices out there are not justified. Chelsea, is somewhat secluded but within minutes of Hwy 280 which CAN be a traffic nightmare but will have everything you could possibly need.

-Fmr. Mortgage Banker

Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
What are you looking for in a place to retire? Close to major malls, medical, no traffic, secluded or subdivision?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Before buying in the three areas you mentioned - check air traffic patterns and train schedules. No, I am not kidding.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:56 AM

50 posts, read 194,812 times
I would like to be close to shopping/restaurants (within 15 minutes) and within 30 minutes of doctors. I would like some privacy, a yard big enough to let the dogs out without neighbors getting angry if they bark. I would love to have a view of either a small lake/pond/river/mt view. I would like a 4 bedroom + house with 3+ baths. I would like somewhat flat land.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 AM

21 posts, read 57,180 times
Well, there are some places near Pelham and Alabaster that may fit that bill. Not much for mountain views though. You could probably find some property with a pond quite easily and be about a 20-30 min drive to Pelham or Alabaster for shopping and the Hospital in Alabaster. One thing, most of the ponds and lakes are probably dried up now due to the draught. Many of the creeks are totally dry. It's amazing...and sad...
You may be able to find some places like that just outside of Birmingham but you'll be more than 15-20 mins away from Hospitals and decent shopping/restaurants.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
You might want to check out areas around H'ville. Someone from this board recently bought a house in Guntersville with a lake view for much less than what you are looking to spend. Close to shopping and a hospital is less than 20 minutes away.
Check out valleymls.com for homes. If you want more land you can find it in Marshall or Jackson county.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,707 times
Ok here's the scoop on the specific areas you mentioned.

First, flat land can be hard to come by...the metro area is a series of small mountain ridges...one after another. Obviously if you live on the side or top of the ridge, your land is not gonna be flat...on the other hand, if you can find valley property, you can get what you want.

Chelsea: Is on the far side of Double Oak Mountain and is growing explosively. Huge, quality developments going up and you could buy a nice house for $375,000 there....BUTT (frankly) to get to the doctor, restaurants, hospital etc....you're going to have to cross that mountain on a busy four lane road and once you get on the other side, the traffic is heavy. (I have a friend who moved to Chelsea from Dallas and adores it....but heavy traffic in Birmingham vs. Dallas is a completely different matter). The shopping and restaurants you will find on 280 once you cross the mountain are superb....you've just got to visit the area and make up your mind.

Pelham: Is a bigger, older community that is growing very rapidly. It is led by a progressive mayor and has awesome municipal golf and tennis facilities and a great civic center with two ice rinks and a 10,000 seat outdoor amphitheatre....in the Ballanatrae subdivision you can find a nice new home in your price range....BUTT, there are some steep grades in Ballantrae, so if you want 'flat', you will need to find a valley home....and there are plenty.

Alabaster to me is the least attractive of the three....the advantage it does have is that it is the location of the hospital that serves Northern Shelby County and it is a good one....and there is plenty of flat land in Alabaster....but there are not as many desireable neighborhoods there....

Another area of the metro I would check out would be along Interstate 59 in the Ashville/Springville area....very very pretty and peaceful....and can access a wonderful suburban hospital/doctors - St. Vincent's East...and lots of retail in the nearby town of Trussville....

Birmingham is a great great place to retire....I would strongly recommend that you come here and spend at least 4-5 days will a good realtor and then try to make up your mind. Everything you want is here...but you will have to look to find it...(like anyplace.)

Old 11-14-2007, 04:58 PM

136 posts, read 596,217 times
There are 159 properties available right now that meet the following guidelines:
4 or more Bedrooms
3 or more Baths
1 or more Acres
Price Range between $325,000-425,000

I can send you these thru email if you would like.

I live in Pelham and enjoy how close to everything you are. If you are looking for acreage, I would look closely to Chelsea, Springville, Gardendale, and Helena.

I know of a house that was a Parade of Homes entry that has an amazing view of the water in the low $400s in Helena/Bessemer area.

Gusty

Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,688 times
Have you looked at Tennessee? No state income tax, pretty country and good weather. Nashville areas are good central locations within a few hours of Memphis, Louisville, Atlanta and Birmingham. Great healthcare and good airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area