Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:50 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times

Advertisements

Is the DSL service good in most parts of town? Are there any areas seriously lacking in high speed internet? I work from home so good internet is a necessity. I can go cable but I'd prefer DSL (unless the cable companies there will sell just cable). I'd be renting, not buying or building. I know where I am now, there are some very large areas that do not have high speeds and they're surprisingly high end neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 11:34 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
AT&T has good coverage across the metro. Charter or Brighthouse are an alternative. Up to 100Mbps is available through Charter. Speeds of 60 or 45 is more typical. If you are out in the sticks you should still be able to get at least 6Mbps DSL. FTTH (1000Mbps) is slowly happening for mainly businesses first and some neighborhoods.

http://broadbandnow.com/Alabama/Birmingham

Last edited by Tourian; 07-16-2016 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 01:26 PM

My mom had ATT UVerse or something like that? It was horrible, she cancelled it. But she's in Mobile, so service there might be different than Birmingham.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:27 PM

Arrggghh CD won't let me rep you again for awhile, Tourian, so how about I just say thanks for the link? Thanks!

Old 07-16-2016, 01:44 PM

No worries and you're welcome.

Ive had and left both AT&T and Charter a couple of different times for various reasons but here lately I think they have both stepped up their game. Right now Charter has the edge with 60Mbps and a lower price but AT&T is laying fiber and gigapower is coming. 2020 is the target roll out but depending on where you are some people can get 200 or 300 down or maybe more.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:14 PM

Cool. I have good speed where I am now (Albuquerque) but I have a client who just built a 1.5 mil house and he can't get anything faster than the next speed above dial up. Other clients live in the higher end part of town and they have the same issue, pretty much basic speed and not much else (from both cable and DSL). Just wanted to be sure that wouldn't be the case in Birmingham.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:15 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,338,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Cool. I have good speed where I am now (Albuquerque) but I have a client who just built a 1.5 mil house and he can't get anything faster than the next speed above dial up. Other clients live in the higher end part of town and they have the same issue, pretty much basic speed and not much else (from both cable and DSL). Just wanted to be sure that wouldn't be the case in Birmingham.

In the old money parts of town there is no problem. But the new money areas are frequently just what you describe. The infrastructure just isn't keeping up with the ever more exotic locations they are building some of these houses. (including getting good cell) With these big lots no one wants to come in and run fiber or cable. Then there are problems boosting power to compensate expanded distances.
It is definitely a more urban service right now but that is going to have to change and will.

I imagine there are problems in those far northern suburbs of the foothills of Sandia. Beautiful up there though.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:19 PM

It has to do with the location of their nodes and how far you are from them...not how phat a crib you live in. So for the most part, poorer people in higher density areas closer to DT genereally have a better chance at higher speed than someone living in a McMansion out in a far flung exurban subdivision. HOWEVER when they get to rolling out fiber the new subdivision guy with all buried conduits may already have fiber or it can be easily added. They just need to connect that neighborhood.

Edit: oops too slow...preguntas beat me to it.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:32 PM

Here it's age of infrastructure. The only reason I have fast internet is CenturyLink wire out here was so bad they finally replaced my area with FIOS. The NE part of town (you nailed it, preguntas, that's the problem area) is newer and when the wire etc was laid, expectations were that demand for speed wouldn't be that great. Surprise, it is. But CL and Comcast don't want to spend the money to upgrade what is perceived as 'newer' cable/wire. They regularly tell residents "there's no demand for it". **snort** We have issues with cell coverage as well.

If I move, I'm looking at more 'in town' from what I can tell, so it sounds like the speed will be fine.

Good. One more thing to cross off the Move List

Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 AM

74 posts, read 89,385 times
right now AT&T offers up too 75 megs in my area Grayson Valley near Trussville Clay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area