Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:18 AM

20 posts, read 105,626 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been searching through out the southern states trying to figure out the best move. I'm from the state of Maine (and the state of confusion ) and I'm looking for a climate change among other things! I'm looking for a town that has conveniences or is close to conveniences such as stores, restaurants, etc. Good health care, low crime, resonable housing are also BIG concerns. A mild winter is a must too Alabama is a pretty state, I've driven through a few times but I don't know much about the life style or the climate. I found a town through searching the internet, Leeds. Also, Trussville. I would appreciate some opinions and suggestions, not particularly on just Leeds & Trussville, any others you know about. Thanks so much I know I've just placed a big order... Bonnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2006, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,335 times
Leeds is a nice town about 15 Miles from Birmingham. Crime rate is low, housing is affordable and shopping and restaurants are close by in Birmingham and the highway 280 area.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:53 AM

12 posts, read 55,754 times
Oxford is midway between Atlanta and Birmingham. If I remember Leeds, you may be interested in the hills. How about a beautiful unobtrusive golf course sub overlooking the Talladega Forest with spectacular views and all the services in ready reach.

Check out Cider Ridge in Oxford.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 13,490 times
www.city-data.com

www.stclaircountyal.com

I live in Cropwell, a small town on Lake Logan Martin and I love it. It's near Talladega and Pell City.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 35,699 times
Default Fairhope

Another place you might like to consider is Fairhope. It has been in several magazines as a wonderful place to retire to. Lots of activities and is located on the bay.

Here is a link, although I think links have been disabled you can still copy and paste it into a bowser to look at parts of Fairhope. http://www.city-data.com/city/Fairhope-Alabama.html

Good luck with your decision. I hope where ever you decide to move to, it is all that you hope it to be.
GCT
See profile

Old 07-31-2006, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 8,387 times
Default Leeds

Not knowing all of Leeds, but parts, it is very old and some areas not so great. I would try somewhere higher up the scale, such as Helena, Hoover or Pelham

Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 28,785 times
Like usadad, I live on Lake Logan Martin (Pell City area of the lake), and I love it! Affordable housing, low property taxes, low crime rate, close to the water, the mountains, and not far from the beaches of the Gulf Coast (4-5 hrs.).

I visited Maine last year; it's a beautiful place. I think you would love living in Alabama. Come on down!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,682 times
Leeds is alright. The town is really not as nice as Trussville and the houses are kind of small and close together. That said, Trussville is BUSY. There's a lot of big shopping centers and restaurants etc in the area but also a lot of people. If you are looking for a more quiet lifestyle and continuing to live in a pretty area then I would suggest the areas north of Birmingham such as Gardendale, Morris, Tarrant, and Pinson. You will get countryside and you won't be too far from the city (15 miles and not even terrible traffic) and there aren't many housing developments out there and nice homes with some room with them. I will warn you though that Morris is a few miles from getting groceries, pizza, what not. You have to drive south to Gardendale for that. But Morris is a quiet and pretty little town with nice 60s ranchers on big rolling lots with tall pines. The only scary thing is that the closest hospital is Birmingham (15-20 miles away). If that bugs you don't live up there. There is a hospital in Trussville though.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,497 times
Bonne......pls let us know your budget so we can narrow it down for you....

Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 AM

20 posts, read 83,303 times
Baldwin county is a great place to call home especialy for retireing , not to mention it`s on Alabama`s Gulf Coast !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area