Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think your move to Birmingham was a good one?
Yes 12 70.59%
No 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:42 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Do you think your move to Birmingham was a good one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
UAB is a good school, its cheap, and for the time being a decent place to live.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM

17 posts, read 56,050 times
we're interested in UAB med school but concerned about the crime in the area that seems to be mentioned so often here on this board. Is it something that is a daily concern with life in Birmingham? Everything else about the city and school looks right up our alley, it's just the crime aspect we're a touch anxious about and how 'liveable' the city is in that regard. I don't want to have a long commute to the med school either but must live in a safe area. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:43 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
From what I hear, Birmingham's crime is slightly decreasing due to some strong police efforts to improve the city's high crime rate. Of course, there still needs to be a heap of improvement and change to take the city into a brighter future. Crime is still a disadvantage that Birmingham has. Over the next few years, crime may or may not improve depending on the new police chief. If I was you, I would kind of bear with Birmingham to see if the air is clear for you to make your decision to move to Birmingham. On the other hand, you have made a good decision to move to Birmingham! GOOD LUCK!!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
There are plenty of areas to live around Birmingham that are safe. UAB itself is fine, and since you most likely won't be hanging out in the inner-city you should be fine. For dwelling, I would try Homewood, Clairmont Ave., Highland Ave., Hoover, or Vestavia.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 AM

111 posts, read 257,457 times
Birmingham's crime statistics are misleading if you don't understand the city because crime is concentrated in certain areas. You probably wouldn't want to live in north or west Birmingham, but Southside doesn't have as much of a problem. The murder rate you might hear about is mostly attributable to the poor neighborhoods in the north and west parts of town, the "inner city" neighborhoods that have a lot of "black on black" crime.

I live a few blocks from UAB and don't feel the slightest bit intimidated walking around my neighborhood after dark. Apparently neither do my neighbors, because I see women out walking their dogs by themselves or with their kids.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am green coffee View Post
Birmingham's crime statistics are misleading if you don't understand the city because crime is concentrated in certain areas. You probably wouldn't want to live in north or west Birmingham, but Southside doesn't have as much of a problem. The murder rate you might hear about is mostly attributable to the poor neighborhoods in the north and west parts of town, the "inner city" neighborhoods that have a lot of "black on black" crime.

I live a few blocks from UAB and don't feel the slightest bit intimidated walking around my neighborhood after dark. Apparently neither do my neighbors, because I see women out walking their dogs by themselves or with their kids.
As usual a good post. There is absolutely a high murder rate in Birmingham. But it's very confined to gangbangers ventilating each other with Mac10s.

By the way, when I was called by a headhunter 16 years ago to interview in Birmingham, I practically laughed him off the phone. But I trusted this guy from previous dealings, and he asked me to at least talk to them. So I researched the company, researched the area, and had a couple of really good phone interviews. So, when they wanted to fly me down for another interview, I told my wife, who was very reluctant to come. I practically had to force her onto the plane, saying, "Hey, it's just ONE weekend, okay?"

As it turns out, we were totally blown away by what we found. A very livable, beautiful, and gracious city with plenty to do. Now when a headhunter calls me up about a slot out of town, I simply have to say, "My wife refused to move."

One thing I've noted, however. The success of your move will largely depend on the attitude you take before moving here. If you recognize that you're moving to a place with a bit of cultural difference and learn to acclimate yourself to those differences, then you will be fine. Sure, occasionally, somebody will ask you to come to church with them. But if you turn them down, they leave you alone. It's a pretty conservative town, politically, but not to the right of Attilla the Hun. And if you decide Birmingham's boring, then you just are lazy and have no imagination. There are tons of things to do every weekend here.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen101 View Post
we're interested in UAB med school but concerned about the crime in the area that seems to be mentioned so often here on this board. Is it something that is a daily concern with life in Birmingham? Everything else about the city and school looks right up our alley, it's just the crime aspect we're a touch anxious about and how 'liveable' the city is in that regard. I don't want to have a long commute to the med school either but must live in a safe area. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks in advance!
Don't worry about the crime so much. People go crazy about every little nothing around here. If something as minor as a suspicious guy lurks around an alley e-mails are sent throughout some of the UAB community to permeate fear. Statistics are just that. Don't forget that if you aren't in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing, you are largely safe. Living in Southside and a lot of other places in the city limits is still not as bad as people seem to think.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:58 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
Birmingham stats cover not just Southside and UAB area, but also Avondale, N. Birmingham, W. Birmingham, Norwood, and all the way up towards Titusville, Fountain Heights and Ensley. It also includes some of the safest areas in area, such as Vestavia, Hoover, Mt. Brook, Bluff Park, Riverchase, etc. If you are attending medical school at UAB, I doubt you would be living too far out from the campus. Therefore, use common sense and you should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area