Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Fortoggie
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Entertainment
Old

Southern Romanticism

Posted 09-23-2015 at 05:30 PM by Fortoggie

To all who have studied romanticism in literature, you are sure to have come across what is called Southern Romanticism and it does take on a different flavor and history than regular romanticism. Once you become aware of it’s characteristics you see it popping it’s head up in every aspect of our lives. It developed its special flavor in the early eighteenth century south and can be seen in our politics, our religion and in how we see and experience the world.
Here are just some of the...
Old

Did the lady get it right ?

Posted 05-22-2015 at 10:33 AM by Fortoggie

THE LORD KNOWS WHAT WE NEED; WE DON'T: Stopped in to get some milk and juice, the clerk was a nice lady of about 70 and to make conversation I said; it's a little cooler out tonight. " Yes but we shouldn't complain' she said. I nodded and said we have to take what we get. Then she said " the Lord gives us what we need because we don't know what we need." That statement raised so many questions in my mind that I didn't respond and here a day later I am still wondering where she got...
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Columbus Day 2014

Posted 10-13-2014 at 03:07 PM by Fortoggie

Millions are off work today and banks and schools are closed in celebration of Columbus day. Historically we have chosen a lot of hero's for the wrong reasons and with so much clay in their feet that we wouldn't choose them again if we had of known then what we know now.
I've asked around and most of us grew up assuming that C.C. actually set foot on our shores but the closest he got was Cuba. We have assumed that he must have been a " good " man if the whole nation had a holiday...
Old
Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.

On What Made the Difference: Turning Eighty.

Posted 09-29-2014 at 05:40 PM by Fortoggie

On the event's leading up to my eightieth! Born in the great depression the memory has lingered there like a caged lion; an occasional roar and a slap at the bars has kept me uneasy all these years. Then a reminder that the discovery of penicillin and the polio vaccine made it possible for me to hear the Lion roar. The thunder of WWII, kept me from becoming arrogant, while the demand for labor after the war allowed me to start my adult life with a bang.
Along the way I came to realize that...
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

On Wives and Concubines

Posted 09-05-2014 at 10:33 AM by Fortoggie

Dr. David Samson. spoke on Gideon using Judges, Chapter 8: 32-35 as his text and he spoke to a full house of about 1000 people; mostly blue collar workers. The date was the Sunday before labor day and not one word was said regarding the contribution of the working men and women in his congregation, either for what they do to make their community better or for that matter what they do for the church through their tithes and offerings as a result of them having a job.
Instead the pastor spoke...