Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > GraniteStater
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
  1. Old Comment

In a different time and place

From past posts in the Tennessee forum, it is indeed a "live and let live" atmosphere. The residents don't hide it, and embrace it. It can be a blessing or a curse depending on how you look at it. While I don't live in TN, I do live in the Appalachians in WV. They are very similar, but different in many ways. I appreciate the beauty there. Especially in the mountains and the plateau. It's a mixed bag when it comes to the economy. I love many of the smaller towns in Eastern Tennessee, but notice many aren't kept up. At least not when in comparison to some smaller towns in the Midwest or NE. Like I said on an earlier post, I haven't been west of the Mississippi and I appreciate your explanation as to how parts of the West and Central seem to rate higher on the optimism rankings. My personal experience has been with the Midwest and whatever one considers WV. One will tell you it's in the South, and another the Mid Atlantic. LOL Thanks again.
  2. Old Comment

Tired of PARTISAN politics

I think the answer is in the citizen candidates that come forward. Independents rarely win because 90% of people vote party lines even if they do not know who the candidates are. Generally speaking people just don't care about politics anymore, they claim they do but they study up on nothing and just listen to one sided thoughts. I have been looking into congressional candidates for 2012 and found something interesting. R.W. Jenna is a citizen candidate who is challenging Ben Quayle. He is a republican but his website says moderate conservative all the way. I don't think he stands a chance of winning with out campaign funding which most partisan politicians who have been bought and paid for by special interest groups do have. Check him out R.W. Jenna For Congress 2012. I just contributed $500.00 the other night. That was the first campaign contribution I have ever made so I think that says a lot. I hope he uses the money to make his website look a little better.
  3. Old Comment

In a different time and place

That's funny that you say, "Live and Let Live" because that's my favorite quote. Maybe I need to spend more time in eastern TN.

This was a very interesting blog entry to read. Thanks!
    Posted 08-01-2011 at 08:40 AM by SweetOzarksGirl SweetOzarksGirl is offline
  4. Old Comment

Ramblings

I read a local food blog, Chert Hollow Farm. They're near Columbia, MO. Boy, when you read it from their perspective, you sure gain an insight to how hard it is for small farmers. There is so much BS in the laws, it's unreal.
    Posted 08-01-2011 at 08:37 AM by SweetOzarksGirl SweetOzarksGirl is offline
  5. Old Comment

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a strong 3rd party, 4th party and more. At this point, I don't associate myself with any party. I just got tired of it all.
    Posted 08-01-2011 at 08:33 AM by SweetOzarksGirl SweetOzarksGirl is offline
  6. Old Comment

My obsession with winter and cold.

I have a theory....You can always bundle up to get warm, but you can only get so naked before they arrest you.
  7. Old Comment

Ramblings

Do you ever listen to NPR? I was in the car sometime last mo, listening to NPR, and this very subject was the topic. The guest was poet, author, and farmer Wendel Barry(check sp) and he was stressing the importance of buying local food and supporting local small farming. I completely agree with his stance against large commercial farming. I boycott companies like Walmart, but until the average American wakes up and realizes the damage being wrought to our land, I fear things won't change. We need to be willing to pay more to receive quality food. Wendel B. has written a book on this and his last book of poetry, "Leavings", is heavily influenced by his love and respect of the land. You should check it out if you are interested. I'm looking forward to my move up North because I do want to get back to Nature, even if it sounds cliche' or trite, I am sincere. If the job prospects were better I would definetly be moving to NH or VT but I fear the economic situation will be too much. This greatly saddens me as I have always wanted(for yrs) to move to New England and my biggest regret is that I didn't move ten yrs ago when I did have the opportunity. I learned a valuable lesson though, it's important to be realistic but you should never allow fear to keep you from following your dreams! Take care and happy New Year, - lil red -
  8. Old Comment

I always enjoy your posts, they're intellegent and informative. I know exactly how you feel about the weather. Being a Florida(South Fla.at that) native and still living here, I am sooo sick of the incessant heat and humidity, it is unrelenting. We will finally be moving in about a yr and I truly can't wait! I have many issues with S. Fla, but the heat and lack of any seasonal change are definetly one of the bigger factors in why I do not care for this place. At least up North one can dress in layers or throw a jacket on, but here there is just no escaping the heat. I can't wait to see snow and icicles, my first Winter can't come soon enough! I feel like I have NEVER fit in here and I so look forward to finding my place. Take care, I completely enjoyed reading your blog! -lil red-
  9. Old Comment

This system needs to be less reliant on parties at all. Seriously, party affiliation is what divides this country. No one is forcing you to vote one way or the other, you do it yourself. There needs to be less talk of "republicans this" and "democrats that" and more unity.
  10. Old Comment

I guess I like all the seasons. Needless to say tho, living here in N.E. PA the winters are pretty long...Some yrs. they can start in Nov. with snow & not stop til April...so if ur not a snow bunny, stay away! lol... I love visiting NH, especially the White Mtn. area around Thanksgiving. It is so pretty there...BUT being a NJ girl..I love the oceans, Belmawr, Seaside, Wildwood, Cape May...summer is definitely my favorite time of yr. Anyway..enjoy the fall & winter to come...I truly believe whatever its gonna do outside it's gonna do..so why fret right? Even the rain brings solitude to my soul..nothing like leaving the window open & listening to the pitter patter of it or a far away thunder storm..hmmm...
  11. Old Comment

As Autumn Comes

Love Fall!
  12. Old Comment

I'm in my favorite season right now, well I like spring, too! I enjoyed reading your blog and I don't mind winter either. I've always felt life is too short to carry on about the weather! Put a coat on, some boots and get on with it! I don't mind rainy days either, I have a rain coat!
  13. Old Comment

I am with you, I thoroughly enjoy the winter..
  14. Old Comment

Well, the gear that is popular around here is LL Bean. Winters in NH are cold and dressing in several layers is smart. However, I have found that the wind is much more tolerable compared with the Central Plains!
  15. Old Comment

I guess it is what makes the world go round...LOL
    I kinda' am obsessed with Summer. I want it, can't wait for it....and feel teriffic in it......LOL
    I like snow for Christmas, love the chill in the air then.
    But, then I'll be done with it........Wheres Summer?
    Swimming, cookouts, boating on the lake, the State Parks .......Ocean visits.......Ocean boardwalks...long days and nights.......flowers.....no darkness.
    But.......I love that we are all different. Your posting makes me smile...........
    Oh emmm hummm -20 ........oh yes........I'll be in Myrtle beach.
  16. Old Comment

I got to give you credit, you know what you like. I don't mind short cold spells, but could never get used to long periods of it...Kudos to you for being so brave!
    Posted 07-26-2008 at 01:22 PM by aiangel_writer aiangel_writer is offline