Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
You know you can just sell your car to carmax and go to a dealer to get the Fiat :-) Carmax will buy your car even if you don't buy theirs. I think you should give it a shot because you get more value with the fiat for the same amount you'd spend to get a used mini. Just a thought
I know, but its too complicated. I looked at a few Fiat dealers first, and was really turned off by ALL of them. I am at the point in my buying cycle where I am just ready to pull the trigger and have it down to a few options.

There just isn't enough info on the Fiat 500L yet. No idea how these cars will perform over the next few years or what kind of issues they may have. They may be on the radar in the future but I need more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I know, but its too complicated. I looked at a few Fiat dealers first, and was really turned off by ALL of them. I am at the point in my buying cycle where I am just ready to pull the trigger and have it down to a few options.

There just isn't enough info on the Fiat 500L yet. No idea how these cars will perform over the next few years or what kind of issues they may have. They may be on the radar in the future but I need more info.
ok, good luck with the mini. You should search for a mini forum and read what owners are saying about it and reviews from actual people who own it. That will give you an idea on what to expect

Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post

ok, good luck with the mini. You should search for a mini forum and read what owners are saying about it and reviews from actual people who own it. That will give you an idea on what to expect

Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 AM

358 posts, read 886,462 times
The Mini is a novelty vehicle. People get them because they like the style of the vehicle. There are vehicles that perform better in every category for less money. The reasons to get a Mini are you want a unique vehicle, you like the idea of driving a British vehicle, you like the appearance of the Mini better than the appearance of other vehicles. If you approach the purchase from a practical perspective, you will get something else.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
The Mini is a novelty vehicle. People get them because they like the style of the vehicle. There are vehicles that perform better in every category for less money. The reasons to get a Mini are you want a unique vehicle, you like the idea of driving a British vehicle, you like the appearance of the Mini better than the appearance of other vehicles. If you approach the purchase from a practical perspective, you will get something else.

I don't think that is necessarily true.

I live in NYC and have a parking space assigned to me which is outdoor. Its a big deal to have a parking space in Manhattan, but its not a garage space, so I have to be careful what I park on the street-- dings, damage and break ins can occur. Until recently, I drove a BMW 325i. I bought a Mini because it drove a lot like my BMW and was smaller and easier to park. It is also great for city driving, hauling small items, and just a good zip around car.

I can't deny that its got style, which is an added bonus and not to be discounted. Too many people drive around in cars that look like one another. I couldn't tell you the difference between some of the hatchback subcompacts on the market if my life depended on it. But I would never go so far as calling it a "novelty" car. Its very functional and completely practical for urban life.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
You've never spent a lot of time looking for parking in Manhattan have you?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:12 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Get a Fiat 500L, that's what I'm about to get , much more reliable and cuter than Minis

Honestly, I dont even know what to call that....

Hideous would be an understatement

It reminds me of the Nissan Juke, which is also very unattractive...

Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,718 times
There is a cult following for the mini. I bought a 2007 Mini Cooper S for my wife about 1 1/2 years ago and she loves it. It really is a blast to drive. If you see another Mini on the road, the other drive usually waves...

The best forum for mini fans is MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring

As for the Fiat, sorry but that is one ugly car and made by people who are great at food, but lousy at cars....

Old 02-22-2014, 01:19 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
As for the Fiat, sorry but that is one ugly car and made by people who are great at food, but lousy at cars....
Funny thing is, the Fiat 500 was under the design direction of the same guy that designed the modern MINI, Frank Stephenson. Like the MINI was patterned after the original '50s Mini, it was patterned after the original '50s Fiat 500 and 600, with the 500L being the Fiat competitor to the MINI Countryman.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:23 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
I agree with those that say : Read the Mini Forums. That is where you will find out about the good and bad years and what to watch out for. I rented a Fiat at the Philly airport last year. It was great for driving in the city and parking. Especially since we have a Cadillac and Lexus here at home. The Fiat is quirky but my main question is how long are they going to last? I still remember the Fiats of the 60s and 70s when I was in college. Fix It Again, Tony! The people that I know that have Minis seem to really like them. Don't you have to put premium in them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI