Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:03 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times

Advertisements

If I had $50k (add a couple of popular options and you are there) I sure as hell wouldn't be buying an X1 with it! (Mini Countryman with a different skin)

I guess it has better packaging when they changed it to front drive based but can't imagine the driving dynamics improved and it's pretty boring looking.

In that range I would look at the Infiniti QX30 (Mercedes GLA with better looking clothes) I just saw an offer for a no down lease for $239/mo -and a Mazda CX-5 (which is a nice compact crossover, but...) for $249/mo with $2500 down or you can get the same car, Mercedes GLA for $369/mo with $3000 down! The Infinity is a nice compact crossover and the major bargain of the bunch.

Lots of better/equivalent choices for a good deal less.

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-02-2017 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 08:53 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
arrogant statement

Not arrogant, just true. There is simply no reason other than brand image to buy an X1. Other vehicles in the class are better for less money. Even in the same price range, the X1 is a mediocre offering.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:33 PM

342 posts, read 317,786 times
Car and Driver recently tested small luxury SUVs, and ranked the BMW in first place. 2nd was the Lexus, 3rd & 4th were the Nissan twins, and 5th was Audi. The article gives an in depth looks at each model.

2016 Audi Q3 Quattro vs. 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2017 Infiniti QX30 AWD, 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport AWD, 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLA250 4MATIC – Comparison Test – Car and Driver

Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Not arrogant, just true. There is simply no reason other than brand image to buy an X1. Other vehicles in the class are better for less money. Even in the same price range, the X1 is a mediocre offering.
but they don't drive like a BMW. Some people want a smaller vehicle than the x3. Automobiles are getting larger & larger. I driven the newer 3 series, it feels rather large to me especially compared to the old e36 or e30. Just saying....

Old 09-08-2017, 07:16 AM

341 posts, read 302,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The e84 X1 drives much closer to a car, the e90 3 series it was based on. The X3 drives more like an SUV. Higher center of gravity and tippy around corners. Another thing that's not thought of too much is that the e84 X1 was thousands less than a 3 series wagon, and they are very similar, so if you were looking at a wagon this was a very viable alternative.

The e84 has the makings of a cult classic following. It's also one of the last models that has hydraulic steering. BMW's went to electronic drive by wire soon after.

Just because it's not for you, doesn't mean there's no reason for it.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:42 AM

166 posts, read 170,589 times
I am a huge BMW fan..but when it comes to their crossovers (X1 in the case) i have actually never positive feedback. Though i find its design sporty and dynamic, the steering wheel - nicely responsive and the ride - pretty smooth.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:28 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
I just bought a 2018 BMW X1 and LOVE it. We have 4 vehicles, including a larger sized Toyota SUV.

I think I test drove just about every 2018 small/med SUV on the market, and I even brought instruments/equipment to dealerships to test if they fit in the vehicle along with 3 adults.

I tried the X3/X5, but the X1 had exactly what I wanted:

- smaller-sized (shorter length) SUV to fit in a small garage space
- spacious interior cargo room to fit large instruments/sporting equipment. When you flip down one back seat, and pull out the trunk spare tire/tray, there is considerable cargo room - more room than many larger SUV.
- lots of head room for passengers over 6 feet
- good handling/maneuverability/pep for city driving - easily achieved in sport mode. I was also surprised at the tightness of 3 point turns for an SUV. This is important as I'm often in tight spaced city parking lots.
- safety features and easier car-like driving/viewability for occasional teen drivers
- great navigation/infotainment/tech systems
- AWD and comfort for long winter driving trips

I got the premium package with every available upgrade/option - heads up display, infotainment/Apple CarPlay, touchpad, wireless phone charging, 360 cameras, heated seats/steering, panoramic moonroof, adaptive headlights, parking assist, etc... etc.. I also got the larger 19" wheels and additional snow tires. I could not be happier. The vehicle is fun to drive.

p.s. I also like how the key fob logs all the car data and you can just give the fob to the mechanic to download the performance history...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 10-15-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
but they don't drive like a BMW. Some people want a smaller vehicle than the x3. Automobiles are getting larger & larger. I driven the newer 3 series, it feels rather large to me especially compared to the old e36 or e30. Just saying....
This is exactly why I chose the X1... It drove/handled so much better than the other vehicles I tried (and I test drove every other brand in that market segment), and the X3 was too big for me.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 10-15-2017 at 03:42 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
If I had $50k (add a couple of popular options and you are there) I sure as hell wouldn't be buying an X1 with it! (Mini Countryman with a different skin)

I guess it has better packaging when they changed it to front drive based but can't imagine the driving dynamics improved and it's pretty boring looking.

In that range I would look at the Infiniti QX30 (Mercedes GLA with better looking clothes) I just saw an offer for a no down lease for $239/mo -and a Mazda CX-5 (which is a nice compact crossover, but...) for $249/mo with $2500 down or you can get the same car, Mercedes GLA for $369/mo with $3000 down! The Infinity is a nice compact crossover and the major bargain of the bunch.

Lots of better/equivalent choices for a good deal less.
X1 drives/handles better than the the Infiniti and Mazda. I particularly disliked the Infiniti after test-driving it. I don't know if I got a bad test car or what - but the engine was a real clunker. The Mercedes GLA was nice and smooth but more of a luxury "comfort" car to me, and did not feel as nibble, quick, and agile as the X1 which I prefer.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Please test drive a ‘15 X1 35 with the 300/300 hp-tq. It’s a ton of fun to drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI