Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:53 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times

Advertisements

Nonsense about the block heater. Most modern diesels will easily start down to 0° F. without using one. For colder temperatures, I set mine on a timer to come on for about 2 hours before I start the vehicle. Cost to do that per day at my electric rate is about 25 cents. The only time that I will leave a vehicle plugged in all night is if the outside temperature is below -15° F.

I don't know about the Mini, but there are plenty of European diesel cars of similar size that are achieving 50-60 mpg in US gallons--close to 70 mpg in Imperial gallons. Cripes, the relatively heavy BMW 328D X-drive all-wheel-drive now being sold in the US is rated at 43 mpg highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:59 AM

16,660 posts, read 17,424,883 times
I am far from a diesel hater and agree that they have come along in leaps and bounds.

I recently drove a gas powered BMW 740i in the US and disliked the peaky power delivery at the top end, far preferring the delivery from my BMW turbo diesel.

I would agree about the fact that they cost more and if you're not putting in high miles then it may not make economic sense.

How does the quality of diesel in the US compare to that in Europe? Tough question but maybe someone knows.

Also what the cost of diesel compared to the cost of gas over there?

Old 12-14-2013, 09:30 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
How does diesel make economic sense? 10% more expensive, 30% better mileage but 20-25% higher fuel costs, more expensive maintenance. If you drive 10k/yr you'll save maybe $200/yr not counting maintenance.

In my area gas (87) is 3.49, diesel is 3.89..........about 10% more expensive for the fuel.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I would think so. Diesel are notoriously slow in the low range.
in 1980 yes, anything in the last 5 years no way!

Old 12-14-2013, 02:28 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Nonsense about the block heater. Most modern diesels will easily start down to 0° F. without using one. For colder temperatures, I set mine on a timer to come on for about 2 hours before I start the vehicle. Cost to do that per day at my electric rate is about 25 cents. The only time that I will leave a vehicle plugged in all night is if the outside temperature is below -15° F.

I don't know about the Mini, but there are plenty of European diesel cars of similar size that are achieving 50-60 mpg in US gallons--close to 70 mpg in Imperial gallons. Cripes, the relatively heavy BMW 328D X-drive all-wheel-drive now being sold in the US is rated at 43 mpg highway.

Some folks the " Oh you MUST use a block heater / coolant heater on a diesel" so therefore diesels suck.

The reality is modern diesels do not need a preheat treatment and neither do petrol engines.

However, anybody that says that really is ignorant to the facts.

Yes, it is correct you do not HAVE to use a preheat on an internal combustion engine. However, it is a GOOD idea to do it if it is getting that cold at night.

Most engines run a very rich mixture when it first starts because fuel does not atomize well when cold and inside of a freezing cold intake manifold. SO, the ECU is injecting extra fuel because of this super cold start condition. One must notice they get less gas mileage in the winter?

My point is you will SAVE fuel if you preheat because the engine comes up to operation temperature faster allowing the ECU to revert to the full warmed up fuel map faster. How much ? Beats me. I would guess it offsets the electricity used by a long shot.

In addition warm oil is better than cold oil for starting. The cars heater will work much much faster. The oil will get to full temp faster allowing moister to evaporate out of the oil (Really important if you have a short commute). Also, the car's battery will get a break too....the engine will turn easier and require less cranking and the car's starter gets a break too.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,039,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Some folks the " Oh you MUST use a block heater / coolant heater on a diesel" so therefore diesels suck.

The reality is modern diesels do not need a preheat treatment and neither do petrol engines.

In addition warm oil is better than cold oil for starting. The cars heater will work much much faster. The oil will get to full temp faster allowing moister to evaporate out of the oil (Really important if you have a short commute). Also, the car's battery will get a break too....the engine will turn easier and require less cranking and the car's starter gets a break too.
Those of us in extreme northern climates, who have ever operated diesels, know that you don't always plug diesels in because they WON'T start without it, but because they start so much easier. It's amazing what a 1500 watt coolant heater will do in half an hour.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,039,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
In my area gas (87) is 3.49, diesel is 3.89..........about 10% more expensive for the fuel.
We're at $2.79 for gas, and $3.89 for diesel.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
All you diesel haters really need to darken the doorstep at a VW dealer and take a TDI for a test drive. SO much torque off the line, the TDI's launch like rockets. These are not the old diesels they put in Peugeots, old Mercedes 240Ds, or the older NA VW diesels. The new ones will amaze you.
A buddy of mine has a newer Golf diesel. The Mk7 I think?

I was thoroughly impressed with the powerband and how quiet is was. I really want one now lol

Old 12-14-2013, 04:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post

However, anybody that says that really is ignorant to the facts.

Yes, it is correct you do not HAVE to use a preheat on an internal combustion engine. However, it is a GOOD idea to do it if it is getting that cold at night.

Most engines run a very rich mixture when it first starts because fuel does not atomize well when cold and inside of a freezing cold intake manifold. SO, the ECU is injecting extra fuel because of this super cold start condition. One must notice they get less gas mileage in the winter?

My point is you will SAVE fuel if you preheat because the engine comes up to operation temperature faster allowing the ECU to revert to the full warmed up fuel map faster. How much ? Beats me. I would guess it offsets the electricity used by a long shot.

In all but the coldest temperatures, it isn't necessary to leave a block heater plugged in all night--an hour or two will usually get the engine about as warm as it's going to get with a block heater. Today's engines, diesel or gas, are designed to warm up faster--primarily for emission concerns--than older engines. In addition, today's oils, especially the synthetics, flow much more easily at cold temperatures--lessening cold start engine wear and improving cold start fuel economy. The one bad thing that people do to today's diesel engines is to start them and leave them idling for umpteen minutes to warm up. Because of the low amount of fuel diesels use at idle, the engine won't gain much temperature at all doing that. Best thing is to start the diesel, allow just enough time for the oil to circulate (usually a minute or two, at most) then drive the vehicle conservatively under light to moderate load until the engine warms up. Same with gas engines, though they actually will warm a little faster than a diesel when idling, but it really isn't necessary. Now, if temperatures are below -15° to -20° F., then running a block heater all night makes perfect sense.

For the record, I've driven both gas and diesel engine-equipped vehicles for over four decades and have really only completely worn out two engines (despite keeping my vehicles for at least 10 years and way over 100K miles in most cases) in all that time while living for some years in one of the coldest places in the US. One of the engines that I wore out was one of the infamous late 70's GM diesels, the early models of which had a nearly 100% failure rate by 70K miles, and the other was the engine in a family farm pickup that was in the family for 28 years--though the engine was still running when I finally sold the pickup.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
YMMV, and especially for poor ole diesel averse Drover ... he needs to learn to use 'Ignore', that's where he lives on my box.
What the hell are you mewling about? I hadn't posted anything in this thread for 5 years, and there was nothing about my post that was "diesel-averse."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI