Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:47 PM

879 posts, read 2,859,481 times

Advertisements

Well people don't randomly honk their horn in California. This isn't Tehran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 04:15 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,904,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Yes they do. I have been to Cali many times and people there honk out of control. San Fran is horrible with car honkers

Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,095,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Wha?

The threshold for honking one's horn in large California metros is about of fraction of what it is here in Boise. It's insane. People honk at you if you slow down to make a right turn.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
abn

27 posts, read 130,368 times
[quote][Remember this is Idaho, not California. People here do not generally honk their horns unless there is a needQUOTE]

Ahh jeez, you just had to drag Californians into it....the discussion was on something else entirely but here is an Idahoan again just looking to make a negative remark on California. (I'm a native Idahoan so don't get to thinking I'm from CA.) People are prone to honk quickly in any large metro area or city. Have your every been to NYC or Philly? Anyway, maybe Californians honk their horn more quickly than Idahoans but they sure as heck recycle a lot more than Idahoans. I'd much rather suffer a little honking and see every household put out their huge recycle bin every week (like they do in CA) vs so many people here just being so busy (or lazy) that they can't stop and think for a few seconds to sort before they trash.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Yes they do. I have been to Cali many times and people there honk out of control. San Fran is horrible with car honkers
I haven't driven in the Bay Area. But people RARELY use their horn in California. I use it more than my friends and guess where I grew up and learned to drive...

Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Wha?

The threshold for honking one's horn in large California metros is about of fraction of what it is here in Boise. It's insane. People honk at you if you slow down to make a right turn.
Yes, and they also honk at you when THEY pull out in front of you.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,213,453 times
You guys are hilarious. I don't know where in Boise you think there's a lot of horn honking going on??? Try living in Boston- now there's some serious honking that takes place and at all hours, especially if you live in the city. So let's get even more silly about this conversation....how many honks heard in an hour would you classify as a lot???

On second thought, let's not because we are taking this thread away from it's original topic. Maybe someone would like to start a new thread with a poll on "honking" in Boise.

yes I'm rolling my eyes right now.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM

Well, yes, honking is silly. But I was simply saying the California comment was not true by my experience. I've been to the East Coast and they enjoy honking their horns. At what, I'm not sure.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
abn

27 posts, read 130,368 times
I agree. It has never crossed my mind that Californians honk their horn a lot. I lived in the state two different times (90's and 2000s) in my life and have lived on the east coast too. Like I mentioned earlier, there is more honking in large metro areas/cities because of the density of people/cars. Let's not drag Californians into every discussion of what people are annoyed with in the Treasure Valley please!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 PM

27 posts, read 123,879 times
Well, not to carry this any further off topic but having just spent several days in Boise driving around with someone who, er, was not exactly the most astute driver, I have to say that not ONCE were we honked at. I mean not even a little.

Having grown up in CA, I'm accustomed to people honking at the smallest infraction on the road and I lived in a CA town way more peaceful than L.A. or San Francisco. Yet, still, honking was common.

In Boise? Apparently not so much. Frankly, I wanted to reach my hand across the car and lay on the horn myself at us a couple of times so I was totally (and thoroughly) shocked that no one else felt the same way when we sat at green lights for more than 60 seconds or more... or pulled out in front of someone when it clearly wasn't our turn. It was delightfully polite all around, to say the least.

However, I will say I finally found out what some have said about Boiseans not knowing how to merge.

Anyway, back ON topic, that Amivor site absolutely sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area