Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM

731 posts, read 958,710 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone mentioned this about the heat in the Treasure Valley, but, even when the hottest day this summer was 105 (and remember it's *not* humid hot, just hot), the nighttime temp dropped dramatically.

*This is a huge difference between states like NV and AZ.*

Generally, here, the hottest part of the day is in the 4-7 PM time frame.

Mornings are quite nice, even when later in the day the temps hit 100+.

For instance, August 13 this year hit 103 at about 6 PM, but had dropped to 69 by 6 AM the following morning.

If you are comfortable with leaving a few windows open overnight, then closing them by 8-ish the following morning, you may be able to hold in the cool (if your home is well insulated, etc.) and not need the a/c until mid afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 09:47 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
Or try summer in Southern NV!! It is 96 here today!! Where is fall??!!

Same here in AZ
We have two seasons here- hot and hotter

Old 10-15-2015, 09:54 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Not sure if anyone mentioned this about the heat in the Treasure Valley, but, even when the hottest day this summer was 105 (and remember it's *not* humid hot, just hot), the nighttime temp dropped dramatically.

For instance, August 13 this year hit 103 at about 6 PM, but had dropped to 69 by 6 AM the following morning.

If you are comfortable with leaving a few windows open overnight, then closing them by 8-ish the following morning, you may be able to hold in the cool (if your home is well insulated, etc.) and not need the a/c until mid afternoon.
I think Boise weather would be alot more pleasant year round and much more tolerable in the summer months.
I could deal with cool mornings and cool evenings in the summer time
Verses 24/7 heat 6-7 months a year!

Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatetheheat01 View Post
I think Boise weather would be alot more pleasant year round and much more tolerable in the summer months.
I could deal with cool mornings and cool evenings in the summer time
Verses 24/7 heat 6-7 months a year!
Absolutely, same with 3-4 months of winter days that are sunny and above freezing, vs 6-7 months of temps so cold that you cannot enjoy playing in the snow and temps so cold that the snow 'squeaks' when you walk on it !

Old 10-16-2015, 09:13 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Absolutely, same with 3-4 months of winter days that are sunny and above freezing, vs 6-7 months of temps so cold that you cannot enjoy playing in the snow and temps so cold that the snow 'squeaks' when you walk on it !
I've spent a few minutes looking at the climate data between Cleveland Ohio and Boise Idaho, and the raw numbers show very little average high, daily mean, and average low difference (same with record high and low). Seems the colder weather comes a little earlier in Boise and it stays a little longer in Columbus.

I'll grant that the precipitation is much different, as is the humidity (and "lake effect") so it probably feels much colder in Cleveland, but I worry that you think there's going to be a tremendous difference in winter climate between Boise and Cleveland, and I'm not sure there will be, especially when you factor in the 3-4 weeks of inversion days we tend to have (which are colder, darker, and higher in humidity).

Only way to tell is to come out, but I just wanted to point that out.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:53 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,776 times
All the smoke. Looks like being in LA. Can't even see the Mountains. Forecast rain coming in this weekend to clear and clean the air up. I hope.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:55 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post

What you say is accurate. The heat in Boise is not as stifling as the SW.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:58 PM

15 posts, read 25,871 times
I came here from Atlanta, and I think Boise is hot. Too hot for my tastes. Not as humid as Ga but it still feels scorching out. I have not been through a winter yet, but just looking at weather data it doesn't even get much more cold than Atlanta does. It's been in the high 80's here and Ga its been in the 60's... Also its super dry here, that's not necessarily bad I guess, some people like it... Im not crazy about how dry it is, and how much sunshine/lack of rain there is. The cost of living isn't really that good either, about national average. I also don't like the traffic. It's all surface streets to go anywhere. Example it takes a good 45 mins to get to Walmart which is probably 10 miles away from me. It's got this weird small town look/feel but with city traffic.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:08 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj100 View Post
I came here from Atlanta, and I think Boise is hot. Too hot for my tastes. Not as humid as Ga but it still feels scorching out. I have not been through a winter yet, but just looking at weather data it doesn't even get much more cold than Atlanta does. It's been in the high 80's here and Ga its been in the 60's... Also its super dry here, that's not necessarily bad I guess, some people like it... Im not crazy about how dry it is, and how much sunshine/lack of rain there is. The cost of living isn't really that good either, about national average. I also don't like the traffic. It's all surface streets to go anywhere. Example it takes a good 45 mins to get to Walmart which is probably 10 miles away from me. It's got this weird small town look/feel but with city traffic.
Per your post history, it looks like you moved here back in July, right in the heat of Summer. This October (and past summer) has been warmer then usual for most of the West but it is going to cool down this weekend. Looks like highs will be in the 60's and before you know it the highs will be in the 30's within a few months.

You didn't research Boise to realize there are surface streets and public transport is limited to a bus system?

Cycling is a great way to get around if that is your thing.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:49 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
I've spent a few minutes looking at the climate data between Cleveland Ohio and Boise Idaho, and the raw numbers show very little average high, daily mean, and average low difference (same with record high and low). Seems the colder weather comes a little earlier in Boise and it stays a little longer in Columbus.

I'll grant that the precipitation is much different, as is the humidity (and "lake effect") so it probably feels much colder in Cleveland, but I worry that you think there's going to be a tremendous difference in winter climate between Boise and Cleveland, and I'm not sure there will be, especially when you factor in the 3-4 weeks of inversion days we tend to have (which are colder, darker, and higher in humidity).

Only way to tell is to come out, but I just wanted to point that out.
Actually, I don't live in Cleveland, but in Lorain, which is 35 miles west, and very different weather. We are not in the "snowbelt', and since we are on the south shore of Lake Erie there is a pretty good micro-climate here, protected by the lake. When they are getting 6-12" of snow, we are getting 1-3"! The lake curves north by Cleveland so the winds blow all that moisture across the lake and dump it on Cleveland. Same situation in Buffalo, New York, but different lake.

Thank you for taking the time to compare Cleveland and Boise. I was hoping that Boise would be a vast improvement, as my grown son and I would love to move to a non-humid climate, and I love mountains.

I have family in Spokane, but they have had winter snows up to the stop signs, NO THANKS!

My son's dream destination is San Diego, with perfect year round temps, but the insane cost of living there and lack of water, plus all the fires has caused me to lose all consideration for it.

Does Idaho have a lot of forest fires each year, and is that why the surrounding mountains in photos are barren?

I would visit before moving for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area