Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:00 PM
abn

27 posts, read 130,387 times

Advertisements

My family and I just moved to Eagle (suburb of Boise) a few weeks ago coming from North CA. I grew up here and left after college and have lived in No CA, Portland, east coast, etc... We decided to come back to ID to raise our kids and have them close to family. I'll highlight a few items that do not seem to happen here very naturally. These are just small everyday type items but it will give you a perspective on some of the little things. First, I've noticed not that many people take advantage of curbside recycling. You can drive around neighborhoods on trash days and very few homes have recycle bins. I have spoken with the waste management firm and they say it is struggle to get communities (in Eagle especially) to get on board with recycling and that the numbers have actually fallen recently. Also, you cannot recycle glass through curbside, you must take it to a recycling center on your own. Recycling may not be a big deal to you. It seems so basic to me that I don't understand why everyone doesn't do at least the minimum. It is a free service afterall.

Also, we have found that the elementary school we chose in Eagle does not have as an agressive curriculum as we were used to in No Cal. My daughter is doing the type of work she did a year ago in Math. We hope there will be a workable solution to this but just something to note if you have elementary age children. You may want to really investigate the schools in the area.

Generally speaking I will say people are not as friendly and upbeat here as say in No Cal. People are not unfriendly but keep to themselves and don't really break the ice. For example, when we have signed up for some activities with our children my experience has been that the organizations are not all that welcoming to newcomers and don't have processes in place to get new people started. The attitude has been a bit like it is a bother to take time out to tell people how to get started in an activity/club.

In hindsight, I think we would have much preferred the north end of Boise to make our adjustment easier. Hope this is helpful. P.S. It is pretty here, much more so than I remember growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:45 PM

537 posts, read 1,323,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abn View Post
Also, you cannot recycle glass through curbside, you must take it to a recycling center on your own. Recycling may not be a big deal to you. It seems so basic to me that I don't understand why everyone doesn't do at least the minimum. It is a free service afterall.
I live in North Idaho but have noticed the same thing, recycling is not easily accessible here. We take ours to the landfill and they told us as of Jan 1st they are no longer accepting any glass whatsoever, so this may be the whole state, as she said there is no longer anywhere to take it? I found it odd, where were they taking it before. Every little bit helps!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:04 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,735,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abn View Post
My family and I just moved to Eagle (suburb of Boise) a few weeks ago coming from North CA. I grew up here and left after college and have lived in No CA, Portland, east coast, etc... We decided to come back to ID to raise our kids and have them close to family. I'll highlight a few items that do not seem to happen here very naturally. These are just small everyday type items but it will give you a perspective on some of the little things. First, I've noticed not that many people take advantage of curbside recycling. You can drive around neighborhoods on trash days and very few homes have recycle bins. I have spoken with the waste management firm and they say it is struggle to get communities (in Eagle especially) to get on board with recycling and that the numbers have actually fallen recently. Also, you cannot recycle glass through curbside, you must take it to a recycling center on your own. Recycling may not be a big deal to you. It seems so basic to me that I don't understand why everyone doesn't do at least the minimum. It is a free service afterall.

Also, we have found that the elementary school we chose in Eagle does not have as an agressive curriculum as we were used to in No Cal. My daughter is doing the type of work she did a year ago in Math. We hope there will be a workable solution to this but just something to note if you have elementary age children. You may want to really investigate the schools in the area.

Generally speaking I will say people are not as friendly and upbeat here as say in No Cal. People are not unfriendly but keep to themselves and don't really break the ice. For example, when we have signed up for some activities with our children my experience has been that the organizations are not all that welcoming to newcomers and don't have processes in place to get new people started. The attitude has been a bit like it is a bother to take time out to tell people how to get started in an activity/club.

In hindsight, I think we would have much preferred the north end of Boise to make our adjustment easier. Hope this is helpful. P.S. It is pretty here, much more so than I remember growing up.
Given that you moved to Eagle a few weeks ago from Northern California, surely you must see some aspects of life there that are distinct improvements over the area from which you came.

What I would give for the luxury of recycling to be an issue even close to being on my radar.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:53 PM

145 posts, read 866,881 times
Thank you for all your thoughts thus far. I appreciate it all from the big issues down to the small.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 25,220 times
60yr Old Disabled Viet Nam Vet Here. Want To Transfer To Rural Area Around Boise. Then Transfer All Medical Stuff From Portland To Boise. Heard The Va Was A Good One. Looking For The Way Of Life You Speak Of. The Way I Grew Up. Plus Lots Of Good Fishing For Me And My 2 Dogs. Think I Will Be Able To Find A Place Suitable.? I AM SPEAKING OF RENTING.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OXBOW48 View Post
60yr Old Disabled Viet Nam Vet Here. Want To Transfer To Rural Area Around Boise. Then Transfer All Medical Stuff From Portland To Boise. Heard The Va Was A Good One. Looking For The Way Of Life You Speak Of. The Way I Grew Up. Plus Lots Of Good Fishing For Me And My 2 Dogs. Think I Will Be Able To Find A Place Suitable.? I AM SPEAKING OF RENTING.
The VA Hospital might have some resources for finding a good place to rent.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:41 PM

Thank You. Never Considered The Va For Rental Help.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:45 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OXBOW48 View Post
Thank You. Never Considered The Va For Rental Help.
The VA Hospital is also next to Fort Boise which is part of the VA complex. It is a really beatiful campus too.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:51 PM

Thank You,,,i Have Always Loved Idaho. It Seems To Have The Feeling Of Where I Grew Up. A Feeling Which Has Been Gone For 30 Yrs. Looking Forward To The Move. Thanks Again.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,922 times
Hi people been reading all the post about boise,my family and i are concidering the move to boise around june,we are a interracial family what is it like to be a interracial couple and family in the area,coming from vegas its not a issue,i wondering how boise will take to us all response to my questions are greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area