Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:38 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
As for crime, well, I don't think I would consider stealing a car a dinky crime.
But it was in this case. They didn't steal it to keep or to scrap for parts or sell. They were high, and took it for a joy ride. My stuff from the car was found out in an under construction housing development out by the airport and my car was recovered in Kuna off the road in a ditch. The car smelled strongly of pot, but otherwise, there was only a little damage, easily fixed.

I actually didn't know my car had been stolen until the police called me at 6:00 am.
Police: "Your car is in a ditch in Kuna, please come and get it"
Me (having just been awakened by the phone): "Huh? My car is parked outside"
Police: "Do you drive a [make,model] with license plate [xxxxxx]?"
Me: Yes

Your post made me remember, we have also had our office mailbox knocked off its post several times at our office. Personally, I think the city bus driver did it at least twice, since it stops right there, and one of the mirrors is at the exact height to hit it. One of the times, someone nicely placed the mailbox on our front step for us.

Again though, the point is that these are all crimes against property, not crimes against people. Inconvenient, possibly expensive, but not dangerous. 5 of the items on your list were crimes against your person. That's a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 10:04 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
But it was in this case. They didn't steal it to keep or to scrap for parts or sell. They were high, and took it for a joy ride. My stuff from the car was found out in an under construction housing development out by the airport and my car was recovered in Kuna off the road in a ditch. The car smelled strongly of pot, but otherwise, there was only a little damage, easily fixed.

I actually didn't know my car had been stolen until the police called me at 6:00 am.
Me (having just been awakened by the phone): "Huh? My car is parked outside"
Police: "Do you drive a [make,model] with license plate [xxxxxx]?"
Me: Yes

Your post made me remember, we have also had our office mailbox knocked off its post several times at our office. Personally, I think the city bus driver did it at least twice, since it stops right there, and one of the mirrors is at the exact height to hit it. One of the times, someone nicely placed the mailbox on our front step for us.

Again though, the point is that these are all crimes against property, not crimes against people. Inconvenient, possibly expensive, but not dangerous. 5 of the items on your list were crimes against your person. That's a big difference.
I would have been worried. I'm not for the imprisoning of those who smoke pot. However, the smell of pot would have scared me because there are laws.

I would have also been worried because if one depends on a car to get to work, and it's the morning, well, there are issues there. Well, for you, it turned out okay.

I was 12 when the mailbox incident took place. It took place a few months after the egging incident took place. My father and me were in the car and were pulling out of the driveway. We were both surprised to see the mailbox(the actual box part) badly damaged and destroyed. The post was still standing. This looked like either someone deliberately busted it with a bad, or someone put firecrackers in it. I figured someone from the neighborhood did it.

It does confirm that it's mostly property crime. Many of the crimes I went through were things against my person. Interesting thing is, none of the incidents took place in Atlanta city. It was all suburban/exurban stuff.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:22 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,178 times
The racism by a certain poster in this thread is offensive and appalling.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:26 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
The racism by a certain poster in this thread is offensive and appalling.
It is offensive and appalling, but it isn't surprising. There are people like that everywhere. It isn't limited to Idaho, and not everyone in Idaho is like that. And it can be anyone. In Rwanda, Hutus and Tutsis were killing each other, and they both look alike.

There are some people who behave in such ways.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:14 PM

186 posts, read 240,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Boise demographics are very diverse. Much more so than any other city in the state.
It' not racial demographics that make the crime rates low in Boise; it is the city itself and the state its in secondly.

If you think Boise demographics (at over 84% White) are "very diverse", take a look at the demographics for Atlanta, Ga., Kansas City, Mo., St. Louis, Mo., Chicago, Il., Detroit, Mi., Los Angeles, Ca., Oakland, Ca. and San Francisco, Ca.!

Those places are really diverse! Take a look at the crime rates for those places, while you're at it. Then, compare them to the much lower incidence of crime in Boise. In conducting your analysis, it will be important for you to remember that crime tends to be under-reported in those places - whereas, the good citizens of Boise are known to call the police at the drop of a hat!

It's obvious, to me, that the subject of crime is an important consideration for the OP. It also tops my list of points to consider in choosing my next home! It simply isn't enough to have a well-trained, well-staffed police department - Kansas City and Los Angeles have those. A partnership with the community is absolutely essential, in order to keep crime rates at the lowest levels. That's what sets Boise apart! And, that's why I don't want it to change...

Last edited by pnw2016; 01-21-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,776 times
I think you really don't know a lick about Boise, to be honest.

Further, comparing the crime rates between extremely large cities - such as those you cite - and smaller cities is a silly exercise. Context matters, especially when looking at rates and "X per Y."

As an example, Twin Falls, Idaho... just 1.5 hours south of Boise, was found to have among the highest crime rates in the nation (maybe not wholly, but a subset, like "violent crime" or something like that.. I forget now). But does that rate mean that TF is any less safe than, say, Detroit? I doubt it.

Apples and oranges. You'd do best to look elsewhere, I think.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:26 PM

186 posts, read 240,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I think you really don't know a lick about Boise, to be honest.

Further, comparing the crime rates between extremely large cities - such as those you cite - and smaller cities is a silly exercise. Context matters, especially when looking at rates and "X per Y."

As an example, Twin Falls, Idaho... just 1.5 hours south of Boise, was found to have among the highest crime rates in the nation (maybe not wholly, but a subset, like "violent crime" or something like that.. I forget now). But does that rate mean that TF is any less safe than, say, Detroit? I doubt it.

Apples and oranges. You'd do best to look elsewhere, I think.
You can always do the math to convert the varying populations to analyze the crime rate, per capita.

I think you really don't know a lick about crime, to be honest...

Last edited by pnw2016; 01-21-2015 at 10:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,776 times
You missed my point. The per capita really doesn't matter a whole lot. There are significantly more tension and conflict factors in larger cities which increase the possibility of crime - and this, higher crime rates (including per capita). So it's no surprise that people living in larger cities, and thus experiencing a ton more stresses that come with living in larger cities, have higher rates of violence and crime (even per capita). We simply don't deal with the crowding, conflict, and stress that living in larger cities would.

Again, apples to oranges. And I still think you and your racist attitude belong elsewhere.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:04 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,078,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw2016 View Post
If you think Boise demographics (at over 84% White) are "very diverse", take a look at the demographics for Atlanta, Ga., Kansas City, Mo., St. Louis, Mo., Chicago, Il., Detroit, Mi., Los Angeles, Ca., Oakland, Ca. and San Francisco, Ca.!

Those places are really diverse! Take a look at the crime rates for those places, while you're at it. Then, compare them to the much lower incidence of crime in Boise. In conducting your analysis, it will be important for you to remember that crime tends to be under-reported in those places - whereas, the good citizens of Boise are known to call the police at the drop of a hat!

It's obvious, to me, that the subject of crime is an important consideration for the OP. It also tops my list of points to consider in choosing my next home! It simply isn't enough to have a well-trained, well-staffed police department - Kansas City and Los Angeles have those. A partnership with the community is absolutely essential, in order to keep crime rates at the lowest levels. That's what sets Boise apart! And, that's why I don't want it to change...

Murder tells the whole crime story. You can't underreport homicide.

Compare the murder rates to those 8 cities and then to Boise...

Atlanta, Ga. - 18.6
Kansas City, Mo. - 21.3
St. Louis, Mo. - 37.7
Chicago, Il. - 15.2
Detroit, Mi. - 45.2
Los Angeles, Ca. - 6.5
Oakland, Ca. - 22.3
San Francisco, Ca. - 5.8

Boise, Id. - 1.4

Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 PM

723 posts, read 806,237 times
Boise is a little boring town. It is too country. You will maybe enjoy it if you stay less than 4 days.
When there the feeling you have is of someone who is trapped between mountains.I can't stand being kind of 90% surrounded by mountains. That's why during my three-day visit, I took my car on the 2nd day and drove out to escape to ONTARIO Oregon ( a small town almost an hour drive), just to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area