Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:30 PM

149 posts, read 686,523 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how pet friendly most of you would consider Boise to be. My wife and I are most likely moving to either there or to Fort Collins, CO and we are planning on getting a dog. So what I'd like to know is whether or not pets are well accepted in Boise. Is it easy or difficult to find apartments that allow pets? I know here in the Iowa City/Coralville area it is not easy to find apartments that allow dogs, which is why we currently don't have one. Are there dog parks or similar places to take pets? What are leash laws like there, and are there places, such as dog parks, where you can have a pet without a leash? Are dogs allowed on most recreation trails?

Also...I know this is a bit off topic, but there is a restaurant in Rochester, NY called Magnolia's Cafe...and not only did they not mind if you brought your dog there, but they even gave your dog a treat if you did! I'm sure most places aren't THAT pet friendly, but you never know. Any chance there is a place or 2 like that in the Boise area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
There is a dog park in the foothills. Dogs are allowed every where except Albertson park during nesting. But you have to pick up poopie everywhere, except for maybe the dog park.

Lucky 13 is a pizza joint that allows dogs. (I think) They moved but I don't know where.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the info...anyone know of any other places that allow pets? Or does anyone know about any other dog parks in the area?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,790 times
Four legged critters are very popular in Boise and there are a fair number of off leash areas, some dog training parks, and the rest of the parks where dogs must be on a leash. The Greenbelt is awesome to walk the dog along on, but there are some nature preserves along the river where dogs aren't allowed.
Here's some info from the city website Welcome to the City of Boise

These parks have off leash areas. I use them all except Morris Hill to walk my dog off leash and they are pretty expansive areas too, so you can hike and walk for miles along creeks and trees.

Camel's Back Reserve
Military Reserve
Military Reserve Dog Off-Leash Area
Morris Hill Park

And a link to the rest of the multitude of parks in Boise.
Parks and Facilities

Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
I could have sworn several years ago Idaho apparently had the most dogs per capita. I thought I heard or read that somewhere.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,125 times
When we were looking for houses last year I could not believe the number of house that listed as a selling feature that they had a dog run or kennel. My agent said that dogs were very popular in Boise.

There is a lot of discussion in the paper right now about dogs on the foothills trails. I see this every weekend when I am on the trails, people let their dogs run free and the dogs are destroying vegetation and pooping everywhere. For some reason a lot of people find this acceptable. So it looks like the city might start enforcing leash laws and making people clean up after their dogs. I love my dogs, but I hate tripping over dogs that their owners can't control on the trails.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 AM

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad to hear that Boise is a dog friendly city. My wife and I are set on getting a dog and we definitely want lots of places that we can walk our dog or take it out to run, etc. And I would love to be able to take the dog with us on the city trails too. So this is acceptable in most places then? I do agree that people need to keep an eye on and clean up after their pets. I can't imagine why someone would let their dog run around and crap everywhere. That seems horribly inconsiderate.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,562 times
Just a word of caution if you end up leaning toward moving to Colorado: Several jurisdictions in CO have enacted, and others are trying to enact, breed specific legislation which bans certain breeds. You'd be wise to check the laws for which breeds are affected.
~Ban the deed, not the breed. ~

Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
I can't exactly remember, but it seems like there are some huge get togethers for dog owners in Boise like See Spot Walk and Bark in The Park.
I hope these are the correct names of the functions, somebody correct me if they are not.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:32 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
A few years back the Church of Religious Science held annual pet blessing ceremonies at the park. All kinds of pets welcome. Anyone know if they still do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area