Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:38 PM

310 posts, read 1,283,021 times

Advertisements

I have two HDTVs and want to know how your HD programing is with local cable. Around here it sucks, you get MAYBE 10 channels but I never experience weather related outages like I have heard occur with a dish.

Any input on that as well?

I'm leaning toward getting a dish b/c I can get up to 80 channels in HD but I'd hate to lose signal on the stormy days which make me just want to stay inside and watch tv all day.

So what say you, cable or dish? I'll be moving this summer to an apartment if that makes any difference.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 AM

nobody has cable or a dish in Boise?!

Just to make things clear, I'm not from California and I know how to drive on snowy roads, so you can't hate me for moving to Boise damn it.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,214,332 times
I would have answered your question, but I didn't because all I've ever had was cable so I can't really compare it to the other services. I've been happy with cable- I don't watch a ton of tv as I don't have time for all the extra channels, but I get my HGTV, History Channel, MSNBC, CNBC, etc along with local stations that I watch and I'm happy with that. I also get my internet service through Cable and have been happy with the service. For my basic service and cable internet I pay $91.00 a month. Hope this helps

Old 02-03-2008, 06:26 PM

879 posts, read 2,860,080 times
In my research I've found the local cable company doesn't carry much HD. Most are local.

Cable ONE (http://www.cableone.net/digitalcable/hdtv.asp - broken link)

So if you're looking for HD you should probabably go with Dish.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
In my research I've found the local cable company doesn't carry much HD. Most are local.

Cable ONE (http://www.cableone.net/digitalcable/hdtv.asp - broken link)

So if you're looking for HD you should probabably go with Dish.

thanks, exactly what I wanted to know.

But next question, do I choose a cable modem from the cable company or do I get dsl?

do you have to sign up for cable tv to get a cable modem?

Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM

879 posts, read 2,860,080 times
I'm not sure about needing to subscribe to cable for cable internet...you should be able to find it on the CableOne link above...

...I know my parents have CableOne internet and it is down quite often. Overall, it seems CableOne is subpar. At least from what I've seen. Others may have different experiences.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,175 times
Dont waste your money on the so-called HDTV converter boxes or the crap antennas they sell for them. If you know anybody thats thinkin of going that way warn them to keep their money and do without.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM

993 posts, read 3,254,924 times
So when we move we just better stick with Direct TV ??

Old 07-29-2009, 08:04 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,942,221 times
I will never have cable again. Direct TV has much better HD programing.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:12 PM

424 posts, read 1,380,083 times
How about neither. I have found both to be a colossal waste of money. High Speed I-net and Netflix/Hulu are sufficient for my needs. I guess if you are a big time sports fan who has to see all events in HD then that would be one thing, but beyond that it is a complete waste of money IMHO. Incidentally as far as i-net goes I would avoid cable one like the plague (bandwidth throttling limitations, small caps on peak speeds and very strict monitoring on all your i-net activities). Qwest's fiberoptic service gives you far more for the money. I currently have a 12Mbps connection with Qwest with NO PHONE SERVICE for $57 a month (Good luck even getting that speed with Cable One to say nothing of the price). And at most my connection speed suffers a 15% drop off of peak speeds. With your cable one service, as soon as you Download or Stream anymore than 1.5GB, then they cut your connection speed by 40%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area