Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 15,059 times

Advertisements

[/quote]
Property values are up almost 40% in inner Nampa and Caldwell because of the anticipation of both cities completely upgrading their downtown areas.
Both cities have beautiful historic neighborhoods and college campuses near their downtown areas too. The value increase means one thing---the small amount of hispanic gangs that may live nampa/caldwell will be pushed out with higher property values.[/quote]

I agree with most of what you wrote, BUT as I see it, it's going to get worse. Three potato plants are going to be closing down, throwing 800 employees out of work. Then they're going to put in a modern facility, and only hire around 200 people. Where will they go? I've seen this in the past. It *can* grow, but not in the same way.

Personally, I live in a neighborhood inside Nampa, and I love it! I've met all kinds of people, but I have great neighbors, and the few Latins I've met have been respectful and kind.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,209 times
Emilio L.P. Gracia

drive-bys, stabbing,gang bang, poor homes, drugs, rapes; was a place of my life in Northside Nampa.born and raised in the same house from 21 yrs. this house was built when my mother was 14, now she is a young 52, so do the math. back then it was familys fight for money, land,and respect.my mother even told me that the town saw the northside as the poor side of town, My tios would tell stories that the police wouldn't even go onto the northside. and 30 yrs later it growing and gangs are still there. i've seen, been in, around, part, of gangs in nampa. i was in the box, now im married and having a baby boi on the way. it was a struggle to get out, why do you think they call it a trap. growin up poor it to easy to get in trouble to make fast money for a fast life. too many broken homes i've seen. drug dealing was their income in some homes. gangs were and are family. Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother, cousins, Tios, tias. i know the histrory there in the hood, my mother and father still leave in the same house. i go home and visit and see the next generation growin up ghetto like me. at night i still can hear shooting. see few old friends from time to time.. but some are dead some in jail or prison. the same **** differnet day. poverty=crime=organized crime (Gangs) NAMPA NORTHSIDE the BARRIO just becuase you see the down town clean up or the new parts of town in pic doesnt mean there not a bad side. keep that in mind.i been shoot at, stabbed, aressted, in jail, ran from the cop, had a friend's blood in my hands. and it was all gang related. you THING you know...... but i KNOW.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:03 AM

94 posts, read 182,800 times
Ok, so I've read this forum, and it's been interesting lol. I know the times I've been to Idaho never felt unsafe, except maybe a bit uncomfortable driving by the large number of cops in the area (just that we don't have nearly that many here).
But had to ask a question about gangs in general, with no offense to anyone lol.
Does anyone else think that Gangs came from Hell as a Gift or Curse depending on your point view, Kind of like Supernatural (tv show) Style?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:26 AM

405 posts, read 1,280,905 times
Basically, every city in the Northwest has barrios. Medford, Yakima, Eugene, Gresham, Beaverton, etc etc all have poor MExican neighborhoods. There are drive bys, rapes, stabbings, drug dealing, etc. However, these crimes are committed within their own small little enclaves and doesn't effect the greater populace of these towns like it would in larger cities like in California or Florida. In California, the gangs and crime spreads around, although there are plenty of areas there as well that are off-limits to them. It is just that they don't have the type of law enforcement and vigilant community we have in the Northwest, in general. Basically, there is a gang culture in some Latin American communities and they stay in their own neighborhoods. I mean Eugene, Oregon has all the same incidents you are talking about in Nampa, but I hardly think of EUgene as a town infested with gangbangers and criminals. The worst part of Eugene is the drugs and petty theft/burglaries, but that is a plague all over the Northwest, as well as the rest of the country. I think people are blowing it out of proportion.

The yahoo cops in Idaho will skin alive any thug who decides to commit these crimes outside his designated stomping grounds. There is a reason why the crimes committed by these gangsters doesn't spread around the city.

I have met lot of Mexicans who have left the scummy areas and have live and settled elsewhere. They also left the ghetto mentality behind them as well and just live normal lives. These people are not rich at all, they just work normal jobs like everyone else but rather be in a peaceful and civil environment than live around all the drama. I still don't get why people want to live in these places. Nobody is forcing them to live there. Like I said, people just feel at home in these areas and either are oblivious to the crime and bad conditions around them or actually savor them. I also think illegal immigration has something to do with some of the crime in these areas. There are many immigrants who squeeze themselves into small houses or apartment. The poor living conditions and problems that arise may also give rise to crime. Basically, immigrants would have a much harder time to leave these areas, due to their situation, so in that respect, they would be forced to settle in these areas. Poor living conditions like these can also give rise to crime. When I lived in Eugene there was a small 2 bed townhouse with like 40 people living there, mainly immigrants. One night a guy there chased his mother around the complex with a knife before the police arrested him at gunpoint. Anyway, I am against illegal immigration so I can only sympathize so much with their situation, not to say I don't a little bit. However, I can see how illegal immigration may also contribute to these "barrios" that we see around here.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 11-17-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 16,064 times
My wife and I are from Idaho and have been out of state for several years. When I retire we're moving back. We're both looking forward to it. I have family in Nampa, they love it there. We're buying a place in Middleton.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 23,967 times
This whole conversation is absurd. Yes there are gangs. They're weak, ineffective and overall a bunch of punks. They are no more dangerous than the biker gangs in Coos Bay, Oregon. Sheesh. Afraid to walk around here...

Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,905 times
I just barely escaped a drive-by shooting yesterday, with nothing more than a bullet graze to the head.. I am very lucky to be alive.. Just another day of life in Idaho.. Man, perhaps I should go back to Oregon where I am safe from all these deadly Idahoan gangs.. A good friend of mind got blasted by a spud gun.. It isn't the bruises that hurts as much as the thought somebody would take such delicious Idaho Potatoes and use them to hurt and maim..

Old 02-09-2012, 07:33 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
The 1st KEY to it all is EDUCATION. Without it you've got thimble brained idots running around doing and selling drugs and entering gangs. Indeed poor homes make for crappy kids. But education is the 1st step. There has to be the opportunity for everyone to go where their dreams take them. If they are trapped in the nasty life described in these threads, there is little if any hope of breaking the cycle. Teen pregnancy is one step in the wrong direction as are people who get involved in the gang life due to poor parenting and lack of opportunity to have a decent job or things to do while growing up. The sad thing is almost everyone expects the government to fix it for them, instead of starting in their own communities and fixing it. You can forget about the government fixing ANYTHING. What they've got planned for the next decade you don't want to know. So if there is someone IN the Hispanic community that can organize and get it together that's great. Otherwise outside influences will never correct it I assure you. The ONLY success stories I've ever seen started from WITHIN. I wish you Nampa folks a lot of luck. Someone in your community needs to step up to the plate and hit a home run. Otherwise it will just stay as it is...or get worse.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnejoDave View Post
This whole conversation is absurd. Yes there are gangs. They're weak, ineffective and overall a bunch of punks. They are no more dangerous than the biker gangs in Coos Bay, Oregon. Sheesh. Afraid to walk around here...
Agreed, there is a small problem but according to the local news the law enforcement is doing a good job at flushing those punks out. Too bad they are put in Idaho jails and we have to pay for them to be locked up. Send them back to where they came from. The wanna be gang issue/non issue in Canyon County is nothing compared to the gang activity in the Salt Lake Valley.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
I'm sure you're right about that. Between Ogden to Salt Lake City it has been a real pain in the rear. The people in Utah however are like ostriches and just place their heads in the sand hoping it will disappear. There is a pretty good gang unit in SLC however it is not enough to stem the tide of what we have to deal with here. There are several parts of town well infected by them and unfortunately we have violence that erupts from time to time. They are most often involved with small time robberies, but numerous ones. They have no problem coming to various events and stabbing or shooting someone. I too wish it were possible to just get a BIG shovel and bury them deep and forget about it. They are nothing more than a bad virus which needs to be irradiated. But as I've said on more than one occasion, you 'can't fix stupid" and there is no law against making babies. These are of course from crap parents that also should have been sterilized from the beginning. I know that sounds harsh but honestly some of the worst people get to propagate and make more sickos of their own kind. It never ends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area