Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'm WAY over the end of the world must mean zombies/vampires thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 07:55 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Under The Dome was TERRIBLY political. I'm a democrat myself, but King's consistent bashing of conservatives and republicans started irritating me. The world isn't divided into black and white like King made it seem.
Not only was it political it was a really bad book. So bad I had concluded that King was pretty much washed up.

Then I read "Full Dark No Stars", a new collection of short stories. It's one of his best, I highly recommend it.

Has anyone mentioned Robert Bloch? His short stories are essential horror.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I read a Koontz. What I like about him over King is that he doesn't weigh the books down with the uncecessary rambling. King's concepts are much better, though. *sigh* if only we could get King's ideas with Koontz's delivery.
You really have to distinguish the King eras. His first ten years in my opinion far exceed anything Koontz has ever produced.

But King's last ten years have been pretty weak, I'd say Koontz has aced him during that time.

But in many ways I don't view Koontz as a "horror" novelist, as his stories rarely if ever involve supernatural elements. They border more on science fiction than horror. Koontz is more aligned with Robin Cook than Stephen King.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I'm reading The Walking by Bentley Little and really enjoying it (big King and Koontz fan and they both reviewed it).

Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Lovecraft is perhaps the most over-rated writer in all of genre fiction. He was a master of mood. But characterization isn't even thick enough to be called paper thin. His characters would have to grow a dimension to even qualify as one dimensional. His plots are shoddy and tend to wander, and he is the king of monster ex machina to end a story. And yeah, he was a pretty ugly racist. Some apologists try to excuse it as simply being tpical attitude of his time, but Lovecraft's racism went way beyond the general attitudes of the time.
I am sure Lovecraft was a virulent racist, but I don't think that should stop anyone from reading his work. Just ignore the racist allusions.

I would agree that he was not a skillful writer, all the things you say about his prose are absolutely correct.

But Lovecraft's genius for moving the reader in terrifying, unsettling, and macabre ways trumped his inability to master the mechanics of writing. That is what makes him unique, and why people are still reading and discussing his stories over 70 years after his death.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:23 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Has anyone mentioned Scott Sigler?

Scott Sigler: New York Times Bestselling Author

He's quite prolific but I just heard of him, am about half way through "Infected" and it has some of the most horrific written scenes I've ever read...in fact I have skipped over some of the more gory pages because I'm a wimp like that.

He has a very hip, intelligent, steampunk style, great character development and a cliffhanger on almost every page.....I'm hooked!

Amazon.com: Infected: A Novel (9780307406101): Scott Sigler: Books

Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Not only was it political it was a really bad book. So bad I had concluded that King was pretty much washed up.

Then I read "Full Dark No Stars", a new collection of short stories. It's one of his best, I highly recommend it.

Has anyone mentioned Robert Bloch? His short stories are essential horror.
I never finished Under the Dome, and I never finished Duma Key, and I hated it that he inserted himself and his accident into his recent books, including the Dark Tower series. I get it that it was traumatic for him, but move on already for the reader's sake.

Interesting that you liked Full Dark, No Stars but after his last 3 books, this time I will wait for the paperback. Dare I hope there is no Stephen-King-Had-An-Accident story in there?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Has anyone mentioned Scott Sigler?

Scott Sigler: New York Times Bestselling Author

He's quite prolific but I just heard of him, am about half way through "Infected" and it has some of the most horrific written scenes I've ever read...in fact I have skipped over some of the more gory pages because I'm a wimp like that.

He has a very hip, intelligent, steampunk style, great character development and a cliffhanger on almost every page.....I'm hooked!

Amazon.com: Infected: A Novel (9780307406101): Scott Sigler: Books
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked him up and I'll definitely look for his books.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:23 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked him up and I'll definitely look for his books.
Get this, I was about 2/3 of the way through the book and tried to stay awake long enough last night to finish it. Instead, I dropped it from the bed onto the floor when I fell asleep and my Rottweiler puppy (who is usually crated at night but wasn't last night) ATE IT!!

So I ordered it, along with "Contagious", this morning....dang it I was really looking forward to finishing it today.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I never finished Under the Dome, and I never finished Duma Key, and I hated it that he inserted himself and his accident into his recent books, including the Dark Tower series. I get it that it was traumatic for him, but move on already for the reader's sake.

Interesting that you liked Full Dark, No Stars but after his last 3 books, this time I will wait for the paperback. Dare I hope there is no Stephen-King-Had-An-Accident story in there?
LMAO yes I hated that about Duma Key too, that ploy was pretty lame. And just like you, I got halfway though Under The Dome and could not finish the thing. So many freaking characters you had no idea what was going on, and with the premise based on the Simpson's movie... wow, what was he smoking when he wrote that one?

"Full Dark, No Stars" doesn't have as much self serving nonsense in it. The first two stories, "1922" (133 pages) and "Big Driver" (114 pages) are right up there among his best. Seems to me that King was always more comfortable with the short story form than in writing full length novels. Maybe he had these saved back for a rainy day, who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books