Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 01:02 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Has Amazon discontinued the Daily Deals? I noticed there were none yesterday or today.
Nope. I saw them today and yesterday. I believe I got the emails for them too. I look for them online rather than using the Amazon shopping app on my Fire. Could your settings have gotten changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 02:09 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Nope. I saw them today and yesterday. I believe I got the emails for them too. I look for them online rather than using the Amazon shopping app on my Fire. Could your settings have gotten changed?
I'm using a Kindle Paper White. I noticed the other day they moved Daily Deals before Monthly Deals. I did a search for "daily deals" and it says "go to storefront". When I do, Daily Deals are not listed under the "Featured" menu. Thanks, I just signed up for the emails. It was so easy getting them on the Paper White. I did check settings and nothing is changed.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm using a Kindle Paper White. I noticed the other day they moved Daily Deals before Monthly Deals. I did a search for "daily deals" and it says "go to storefront". When I do, Daily Deals are not listed under the "Featured" menu. Thanks, I just signed up for the emails. It was so easy getting them on the Paper White. I did check settings and nothing is changed.
I never remembered to look for them when I first got my fire, so I signed up for the emails. Sure makes it easier for me. Glad you signed up for them too.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
John Stenbeck's Of Mice and Men, which I read as a requirement in some high school English class, but only remembered the barest elements of the tale. I am reading it now because my younger son is about to do so in a 9th-grade English class himself, and I thought I'd re-familiarize myself with the book so we could talk about it. Impressive for the narrative that is very simple yet entirely sufficient for the story it is telling.
Of Mice and Men was on my 9th grade son's reading list as well and I was so annoyed because I remembered reading it and hating it and couldn't understand why teachers would continue to torture kids with that novel.

He read it and he cried and then I realized what a classic is all about. Seventy-five years later a book can bring a 14 year old boy to tears.

Good stuff...

Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Mr. Penumbra and I are falling out of love.

It might be because The Ocean at the End of the Lane is whispering to me "read me. read me."

Old 10-02-2013, 03:22 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I just have to comment on this statement. I never read reviews by critics. If I did, I'd miss out on stuff that I find enjoyable without expecting it to be a great literary work. I could care less what the critics have to say about things. So thankful that everyone is different and we all have our tastes. I hate to think how dull it would be if I only read what was intellectually challenging and great literary works of art.
If I worried about what lit critics thought, I'd probably not be reading a whole lot. I love the idea of coming to my own conclusion about something, without my hand being held. I've actually formed a lot of my own opinions about books this way.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
I am through the first few chapters of "Waterborne" and though I recognize the author's talent in his craft the characters are just not speaking to me, personally. It's kind of like going to a convention where I am supposed to meet these people and learn from them but I cannot get interested in anything they have to say.

I will stick it out another couple of days and see if I am just in "one of those moods" or it's just not for me.

I DO think someone interested in engineering, hydraulics, or sailing might really be captivated by the protagonist.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
'K, "Waterborne" bites the dust.

Mostly talented author with distinct weakness in transitions from one character's perspective to another. (I hate having to re-read sections because I was thinking I was reading about one character only to later discover it's another character.)

He also tends to fill pages with information that does little for the character's identity or plot advancement.

Next up: "Rembrandt's Ghost" by Paul Christopher.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
For those who like stories surrounding New Orleans, I've read two books that were pretty good.
Just thought of them.

The first is a murder mystery and so descriptive you actually feel like your are there.

Amazon.com: River Of Mist And Light eBook: Gary P. Landry: Kindle Store

The second was my favorite and takes place in Mandeville La across the Lake from New Orleans

Amazon.com: The Bridge Tender eBook: Gary P. Landry: Kindle Store

Old 10-04-2013, 02:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Daughters of Zion: A Family's Conversion to Polygamy by Kim Taylor. Nonfiction and autobiographical.

It's okay but not something special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books