Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have not read this one, but I like the author already given his stance on Oprah's Book Club! I'll check it out.

And... Welcome!
I did read that book because of the Oprah controversy but I found it quite boring. But it could have been because I was not in the right mood at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Still reading Devil in the Grove by Gilbert King. If you're interested in the Civil Rights movement, Florida in the 40's, Thurgood Marshall, The KKK, or the history of the NAACP, put it on your list. It moves quickly with lots of annotated details, which I really like. If I have a complaint, it's that he jumps around a lot, but so far I'm able to keep every thing straight. I'm learning a lot about things of which I was only vaguely aware.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
A strange reading coincidence...

As you know, I read The Dinner and was seriously bothered about the response of these four parents to a horrific crime that their sons committed. A few days after finishing it, I had to travel for work and took my Kindle along so I could cleanse my reading palate with Winds of War. Unfortunately, my Kindle and I had been separated for a while recently as I left it at another office so I was totally caught off guard by a dead Kindle battery with three hours of flight time still ahead of me.

Here's the coincidence - the lady sitting next to me took pity on me and gave me her recently finished copy of Defending Jacob. Another story of a young person who was accused of murder and his parent's involvement in defense of him - both through the legal system as well as just their general defense of their son's character. Legal thrillers are definitely not my usual genre, but it was the right book at the right time.

Thanks, Lady in seat 28B.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Just finished Master of the Mountain: Thomas Jefferson and His Slaves by Henry Wiencek. Very interesting to read such a detailed picture of the project that was Montecello.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have not read this one, but I like the author already given his stance on Oprah's Book Club! I'll check it out.

And... Welcome!
Thank you.
Be forewarned, however. The first chapter is kind of slow, but then the book just explodes! I had started reading it twice before, but couldn't get into it. Now I can honestly say it's one of the best books I've ever read. The way he crafts the personalities and foibles of this dysfunctional family is phenomenal, and you actually feel like you know them personally. At one point, I had a power failure and sat outside in a lawn chair under a streetlight, because I needed to keep reading.
Enjoy!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Cezanne, a Life

bio about French painter Paul Cezanne
by Alex Danchev

Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished "Shalimar's Clown" by Salman Rushdie and my heart is still racing. I think I held my breath through the last 1% of the story. Apparently, though I might've read the first half before, I didn't finish it. I am glad fate brought it back to me. It was an amazing story.

How can one love and hate the characters, simultaneously? It's never happened to me before, but it has happened now. I won't spoil anyone's reading pleasure, so suffice to say that the ending is perfect to this story that led me from a tragic murder through two touching love stories, to the wonder of a delightful village in Kashmir, to the decimation of Paradise.

What a read.

Next on the Kindle is "Tell the Wolves I'm Home," a debut novel by Carol Rifka Brunt. I've no idea whether I'll actually read it. I'll give it a try.

Still listening to Dicken's "A Tale of Two Cities" which is not making the same impact on me as it did in my early teens. Maybe it's because I am listening to it while driving, but I just want it to be over and I am only just over half-way through it. Sigh

Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,676 times
For better health as you age read, Younger Next Year. We have given away about 80 copies. It's how to live the last third of your life well. There is a men's and a women's version and it's a funny read so that helps. Now they have come out with another book, just this December, called, Thinner This Year. It's how to lose that last 15-25 pounds if you are 60 and older. I was in their Beta test group and really found it helpful.
You find in life that you "catch a cold" but you don't "catch good health", you really have to work at it.
Here's to your health

Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I have been busy but slowly getting back to some reading.

I just finished The Good Dream
The Good Dream: Donna VanLiere: 9780312367770: Amazon.com: Books

It was a nice feel good book but I think the main character, who I liked, had a little too much insightfulness. I often thought how could she know so much about this boy who she doesn't know?

and now I am reading Wish You Well by David Baldacci. It's not one of his regulars. It's about a 12 year old NYC girl and her brother who move in with their great great grandmother whom they don't know in very rural Virginia Mountains.
Amazon.com: Wish You Well: David Baldacci: Books

Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
You find in life that you "catch a cold" but you don't "catch good health", you really have to work at it. Here's to your health
Thank you. That was a very nice recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have been busy but slowly getting back to some reading.

I just finished The Good Dream... It was a nice feel good book but I think the main character, who I liked, had a little too much insightfulness. I often thought how could she know so much about this boy who she doesn't know?
I am reading Wish You Well by David Baldacci. It's not one of his regulars. It's about a 12 year old NYC girl and her brother who move in with their great great grandmother whom they don't know in very rural Virginia Mountains.
I wouldn't call that a slow start. Sounds like you found two good books!

I am hooked on "Tell the Wolves I'm Home" in just the first three chapters. She is an artless writer whose words have touched my heart with their guileless telling of her last days with her beloved uncle. I had thought I should go straight back to Stieg Larsson and read the second in the trilogy, but I am glad I decided on this one, instead. She's a nice break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books