Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
You're not alone.Typically, I love Stephen King's novels but this one just wasn't for me. Couldn't even finish it. And that's a rarity for any book I read.
That's interesting. I gave up reading Stephen King after the first two chapters of Tommyknockers, but Dr. Sleep I thought was fascinating and I've recommended it heavily at the library I work in. The feedback has been interesting. People who really liked King's works such as The Green Mile or 11/22/63 didn't care so much for Dr. Sleep, whereas others who loved 'Salem's Lot or The Shining loved Dr. Sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 AM

624 posts, read 939,281 times
Just finishing Haruki Murakami's IQ84. Not his best, but he's the king of his genre. His work is best described as surrealist/magical realist fiction, fairly nihilistic, curiously passive protagonists, with some very original plot twists. Very Japanese, but translates like poetry into English.

Highest recommendations for A Wild Sheep Chase, Kafka On the Shore, and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. This author requires some patience, but the rewards are great.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:56 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,632 times
Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick.

Interesting. Naturally, much different than what American kids were taught.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm rereading Armageddon : A Novel of Berlin by my favorite author, Leon Uris.

I read it years ago. It's not among my favorite of his novels but it is a good one with a lot of WWII history in it.

I do reread books on a regular basis. I always find new things to enjoy in the books. And, sometimes when my brain is on overload rereading calms me down.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

For this year's scary Halloween read, I am giving "The Anatomy of Ghosts," by Andrew Taylor a try.
Funny, this is the first year I've thought about the holiday and what would be fun to read for it. I'll be reading The Heretic's Daughter again for Halloween. Of course, it's not a scary read, but I think it fits the season.

I am currently reading and enjoying One Perfect Day by Lauraine Snelling. (Amazon.com: One Perfect Day: A Novel eBook: Lauraine Snelling: Kindle Store) I feel I have to distance myself from it though, as a mother. If I didn't, I don't think I could read it.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick.

Interesting. Naturally, much different than what American kids were taught.
I'll put it on my list. Nathaniel Philbrick always does a good job.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Has anyone read the pecan man ? It is by Cassie Dandridge Selleck . I just took a quick peak and it sounds like an awesome book and would love to read it but my library does not have it . thanks

Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished "Little Bee," by Chris Cleave. I am stunned by the power of this book. I don't know what to say, except -- read it.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Has anyone read the pecan man ? It is by Cassie Dandridge Selleck . I just took a quick peak and it sounds like an awesome book and would love to read it but my library does not have it . thanks
I've read it. I can't say enough good about it. It really is a treasure (as my grandmother would say).

It reminds me a lot of my favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird. I don't know if the author has attempted to write like Harper Lee or if it is her natural way to write. I suspect it is the latter. It also reminds me a bit of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. There is also a touch of The Secret Life of Bees in this book.

I loved it. It's a total joy to read. Some of that may be due to the fact that I identify so strongly with the main character. The reader really gets to know the characters and what an interesting, entertaining group they are. Oh, yes, I also think it is somewhat like The Help.

I recommend it highly. I guess that is no surprise.........

Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished "Little Bee," by Chris Cleave. I am stunned by the power of this book. I don't know what to say, except -- read it.
I tried to read it a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it, LFM. I think I'll try again because I had the same trouble with The Book Thief and when I attempted it the second time I could not put it down.

I read Cleave's Incendiary about a year ago and blown away with his style of writing and his character development. Plus, the storyline was unusual. I don't think it is a book for everyone but it sure was a good one for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books