Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Does your library site also include a link to purchase the e-book from Amazon? Our does but annoyingly I can't buy it for the library. I am only able to purchase for use on my devices.
I don't know about that. I haven't used a Kindle in quite awhile now, I believe I've heard that you can now transfer ebooks, but don't really know. Best wishes on the uninterrupted time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't know about that. I haven't used a Kindle in quite awhile now, I believe I've heard that you can now transfer ebooks, but don't really know. Best wishes on the uninterrupted time.
You can lend *some* Kindle books that you've bought but:

1. Only to one person. Then the lending option goes bye-bye.
2. Very few Kindle books have the lending option. I believe that it's determined by the publisher.

Holly-Kay, your library -- like all others with the OverDrive system (and I think that ALL libraries use OverDrive) -- have a few options when you're searching for an e-book: All Titles (it will search all of the e-books that they currently have), Available Now (it will search only the e-books that are not already currently borrowed by someone else), and Available Titles to Recommend. It's that third option -- Available Titles to Recommend -- that should be of interest to you in this case. If you search that section (you might want to use the Advanced Search option on your library's website), you will see MANY MORE books. These are books that your library does NOT currently have but CAN get. You then click the "Recommend" button on that book, enter the information requested (your library account number and email address), and the person who's in charge of ordering will see that it's been recommended. Whether or not they buy it is a bit of a crap shoot -- sometimes it depends on the book's popularity, or how many other people recommended it, or just random luck. I've had a LOT of good luck with it.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 03-15-2016 at 08:32 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 10:14 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
So. When I came upon the abomination known as Why We Came to the City by Kristopher Jansma (see above), which is his second novel, I saw that his first novel had received some great reviews. And because I'm a glutton for punishment, I picked it up at the library today. Well, the joke's on me. It's called The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards and I'm on page 75 and it's terrific. Go figure.

Dawn, I loved The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards. Excellent writing and a likable unreliable narrator.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:10 AM

61 posts, read 208,824 times
Just finished In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick

Old 03-16-2016, 05:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Dawn, I loved The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards. Excellent writing and a likable unreliable narrator.
YAY!!! Hahahaha @ "unreliable narrator." Ain't that the truth... with a slant.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
Working on reading Anita Brookner Making Things Better. So sad to hear that she passed away yesterday.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:24 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You can lend *some* Kindle books that you've bought but:

1. Only to one person. Then the lending option goes bye-bye.
2. Very few Kindle books have the lending option. I believe that it's determined by the publisher.

Holly-Kay, your library -- like all others with the OverDrive system (and I think that ALL libraries use OverDrive) -- have a few options when you're searching for an e-book: All Titles (it will search all of the e-books that they currently have), Available Now (it will search only the e-books that are not already currently borrowed by someone else), and Available Titles to Recommend. It's that third option -- Available Titles to Recommend -- that should be of interest to you in this case. If you search that section (you might want to use the Advanced Search option on your library's website), you will see MANY MORE books. These are books that your library does NOT currently have but CAN get. You then click the "Recommend" button on that book, enter the information requested (your library account number and email address), and the person who's in charge of ordering will see that it's been recommended. Whether or not they buy it is a bit of a crap shoot -- sometimes it depends on the book's popularity, or how many other people recommended it, or just random luck. I've had a LOT of good luck with it.
Dawn, THANK YOU!!! I will use that criteria for my searches.

My copy of the ebook "You" has finally become available but since I am knee deep in "The Lake House" I am going to have to wait to start it since The Lake House is also a library e-book and I don't want it to expire.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,703 times
Just finished "Inside, Outside" by Herman Wouk. I really enjoyed it.

Starting "Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:48 AM

75 posts, read 43,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It's not often that one post adds four more to my TRL -- I also added Kate Morten's "The Forgotten Garden."

I just finished reading Rushdie's "The Enchantress of Florence." Not the best of his I've read, but I liked it well enough. I like how he explores the metaphysical aspects of life without getting caught up in the dogmas of organized religions -- in fact he seems to have a great time poking religious dogmas with a stick of good humored fun. He also can spin stories that sweep the whole world without losing an iota of the individuality of each character's charm.

Next up: "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel.
The Forgotten Garden is my favorite Kate Morton story, followed by The Secret Keeper. I did not care for The Distant Hours though. Up next for me is her newest, The Lake House.

I loved Station Eleven, the twist on the usual post-apocalyptic novels I read. If you like Station Eleven, try The Dog Stars by Peter Heller, another I really enjoyed.

Happy Reading!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,064 times
Brian Freeman does it again with his Jonathan Stride series, Goodbye to the Dead! Just like his other JS books before it is a page turner.

Hello my friend Dawn!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books