Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 02:52 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,439 times

Advertisements

I'm continuing my current trajectory of reading about lethal pathogens with Biohazard by Ken Alibek and Stephen Handelman.

It's a book about the Soviet biowarfare program recommended by Richard Preston, the author of the last book I read. My idea of a fun read is a bit warped, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 04:53 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Just finished "The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving" by Jonathan Evison https://www.amazon.com/Revised-Funda.../dp/1616203153

This was a 5 STAR read for me, another book I couldn't put down. I was telling my mom about it and she told me it was made into a movie on Netlix if anyone is interested

Oh, I ALSO very much liked "The Nix".

Old 04-19-2019, 06:54 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving" by Jonathan Evison https://www.amazon.com/Revised-Funda.../dp/1616203153

This was a 5 STAR read for me, another book I couldn't put down. I was telling my mom about it and she told me it was made into a movie on Netlix if anyone is interested

Just ordered The Revised Fundamentals....after reading promo. Thanks for the recommendation. Those of us who work/worked in the medical field should identity and enjoy....

Old 04-19-2019, 06:55 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
I'm continuing my current trajectory of reading about lethal pathogens with Biohazard by Ken Alibek and Stephen Handelman.

It's a book about the Soviet biowarfare program recommended by Richard Preston, the author of the last book I read. My idea of a fun read is a bit warped, I guess.

Sounds scary.... Any nightmares?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Sounds scary.... Any nightmares?
Funny you should say that I was reading Jonathan Mabbery's Joe Ledger series before where the main character often goes against those who threaten to release deadly pathogens. It was whilst reading one of those books that I had a nightmare, so I decided to branch out into non-fiction and learn more about the subject. Haven't had one since.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Just ordered The Revised Fundamentals....after reading promo. Thanks for the recommendation. Those of us who work/worked in the medical field should identity and enjoy....
Yay! You're Welcome! Yes, I think you will thoroughly enjoy this one, let us know what you think.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,615 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post

Absolutely.

I chose the Fundamentals of Caregiving as my Book Club choice this year.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times
Quote:

If you want to continue along this line I recommend The Coming Plague by Laurie Garrett. It's an oldie but goodie and it stands the test of time.

Then read Spillover by David Quammen. Subtitle is Animal infections and the next human pandemic.

After that you'll want to build a Level 4 home to keep you safe from all those nasty pathogens lurking everywhere. LOL

Old 04-20-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
If you want to continue along this line I recommend The Coming Plague by Laurie Garrett. It's an oldie but goodie and it stands the test of time.

Then read Spillover by David Quammen. Subtitle is Animal infections and the next human pandemic.

After that you'll want to build a Level 4 home to keep you safe from all those nasty pathogens lurking everywhere. LOL
Oh wow, my insides already feel like sloughing every time someone sneezes on a train, so this should be fun... I think

I already have Spillover and was planning on reading it too (though, me thinks I'll need a break from infectious diseases for a wee while after this one, at least until I stop gagging every time I use public bathroom.) And I've just ordered The Coming Plague (they didn't have an electronic copy) so look forward to new heights of paranoia. Thank you for this! And I mean it. My reading habits would be so much more boring if it weren't for other people's recommendations.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Default It grows on you ...

Quote:
Oh wow, my insides already feel like sloughing every time someone sneezes on a train, so this should be fun... I think

…
A very different take on contamination/infection. & a rollercoaster of a ride.

The genius plague / by David Walton, 1975 -, c2017, Pry (Prometheus Books), SF WALT

Subjects
• Epidemics -- Fiction.
• Fungi -- Fiction.
• Intellect -- Fiction.
• Brothers -- Fiction.
• Amazon River Region -- Fiction.

Summary
• "What if the pandemic you thought would kill you made you more intelligent instead? In the Amazon jungle, a disease is spreading. To those who survive, it grants enhanced communication, memory, and pattern recognition. But the miracle may be the sinister survival mechanism of a fungal organism, manipulating the infected into serving it. Paul Johns, a mycologist, is convinced the fungal host is the next stage of human evolution, while his brother Neil, an analyst at the NSA, is committed to its destruction. Is the human race the master in this symbiotic relationship, or are we becoming the pawns of a subtly dominating and utterly alien intelligence?"-- Provided by publisher.

Length 384 pages ;

Excellent novel by a rising star – Two SF novels to date, & two quantum physics murder mysteries. An intriguing read – good settings @ NSA, Brazil. Interesting tradecraft on NSA, codes, medicine, fungi. Interesting speculation on Alzheimer's, culture, language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books