Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 06:46 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times

Advertisements

Gosnell : the untold story of America's most prolific serial killer / Ann McElhinney and Phelim McAleer, c2017, Regnery Publishing, 364.1523 McEL.
Subjects
• Gosnell, Kermit.
• Physicians -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Biography.
• Murderers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Case studies.
• Abortion services -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Case studies.
• Abortion -- Moral and ethical aspects -- United States.
• Infanticide -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Case studies.
Summary
• In 2013 Dr Kermit Gosnell was convicted of killing four people, including three babies, but is thought to have killed hundreds, perhaps thousands more in a 30-year killing spree. Gosnell is currently serving three life sentences (without the possibility of parole) for murdering babies and patients at his "House of Horrors" abortion clinic. This book&#x;now a major movie starring Dean Cain (Lois & Clarke)&#x;reveals how the investigation that brought Gosnell to justice started as a routine drugs investigation and turned into a shocking unmasking of America's biggest serial killer. It details how compliant politicians and bureaucrats allowed Dr. Gosnell to carry out his grisly trade because they didn&#x;t want to be accused of “attacking abortion.” Gosnell also exposes the media coverup that saw reporters refusing to cover a story that shone an unwelcome spotlight on abortion in America in the 21st century.
Length
• xx, 347 pages ; appendix, chapter notes, index.

Very sobering coverage of Gosnell’s career & apprehension, prosecution – drug trafficking & abortion, the latter both legal & illegal. Also the basis for a movie.

Gosnell : the trial of America's biggest serial killer / DVD - GVN Releasing presents in association with Hat Tip Films ; produced by Ann McElhinney, Phelim McAleer, Magdalena Segieda ; screenplay by Andrew Klavan and Ann McElhinney & Phelim McALeer ; directed by Nick Searcy.
Subjects
• Gosnell, Kermit, -- 1941- -- Drama.
• Physicians -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Biography -- Drama.
• Abortion -- United States -- Drama.
• Infanticide -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Drama.
• Films for the hearing impaired.
Notes
• Based on the book of the same name by Ann McElhinney and Phelim McAleer
• Originally released as a motion picture in 2018.
• Wide screen (1.78:1).
• Bonus features: behind-the-scenes, "The making of Gosnell"; interview with Sarah Jane Morris and Philadelphia's ADA Christine Wechsler; "Song of the innocents" an original song by John Ondrasik.
Summary
• The film is the shocking true story of the investigation and trial of Dr. Kermit Gosnell - his 30 year killing spree and the political and media establishment that tried to cover it up. Originally investigated for illegal prescription drug sales, a raid by DEA, FBI & local law enforcement revealed crimes they could not have expected within the clinic.

Based on the book – 93 minute adaptation. A harrowing look @ a topic much debated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 02:31 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
How Not to Die by Dr. Greger came in, I really like it. I love his podcast, and his website Nutrionfacts.org.
^ Looks good. I highly recommend Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (2010). After he wrote Good Calories, Bad Calories (2004), many people gave him feedback to write a shorter, easier to digest (lol) version - and WWGF was born. I've read (and own) both.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:09 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Hi Dawn,

That one looks truly fascinating, thanks for sharing, going on my TBR list right now.
I'm having a bit of a problem with The Honey Bus. I'm at 34% and I'm struggling. The narrator is 5 years old at this point -- she'll be 10 when the book is over -- and although I'm fully aware that this memoir is written by the adult version of the author/narrator, the thoughts that she's having at 5 are just too big for her. I have a 5-year-old niece who's the smartest cookie in the world (her vocabulary is off the charts, she's hilariously funny, and she's just SMART) but this level of critical thinking is just not possible. (Example: Seeing her 3-year-old brother do something on his own and fearing the day that he won't need her anymore.) I hate to give up on the book but, as I'm reading it, all I'm thinking is that I'm not the best reader for this memoir.

Irony: I'm actually liking the parts about the bees. I'm terrified of bees but now that I understand them a bit more, I'm in awe.

Irony #2: I think I'm going to move on to a book that this same author co-wrote, also non-fiction, but not about her: I, Who Did Not Die.

"Khorramshahr, Iran, May 1982—It was the bloodiest battle of one of the most brutal wars of the twentieth century, and Najah, a twenty-nine-year-old wounded Iraqi conscript, was face to face with a thirteen-year-old Iranian child soldier who was ordered to kill him. Instead, the boy committed an astonishing act of mercy. It was an act that decades later would save his own life."

Last edited by DawnMTL; 04-04-2019 at 06:22 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 06:47 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm having a bit of a problem with The Honey Bus. I'm at 34% and I'm struggling. The narrator is 5 years old at this point -- she'll be 10 when the book is over -- and although I'm fully aware that this memoir is written by the adult version of the author/narrator, the thoughts that she's having at 5 are just too big for her. I have a 5-year-old niece who's the smartest cookie in the world (her vocabulary is off the charts, she's hilariously funny, and she's just SMART) but this level of critical thinking is just not possible. (Example: Seeing her 3-year-old brother do something on his own and fearing the day that he won't need her anymore.) I hate to give up on the book but, as I'm reading it, all I'm thinking is that I'm not the best reader for this memoir.

Irony: I'm actually liking the parts about the bees. I'm terrified of bees but now that I understand them a bit more, I'm in awe.

Irony #2: I think I'm going to move on to a book that this same author co-wrote, also non-fiction, but not about her: I, Who Did Not Die.

"Khorramshahr, Iran, May 1982—It was the bloodiest battle of one of the most brutal wars of the twentieth century, and Najah, a twenty-nine-year-old wounded Iraqi conscript, was face to face with a thirteen-year-old Iranian child soldier who was ordered to kill him. Instead, the boy committed an astonishing act of mercy. It was an act that decades later would save his own life."
Even though the personification of bees was fiction, I looked at bees differently after I read The Bees by Laline Paull. I'm okay with bees because of the important role they play in our lives. Yellow jackets and wasps another story.

Hive Mentality
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/b...ine-paull.html

Old 04-04-2019, 06:57 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
I like to take notes and look things up, play songs they mention, look up paintings etc. After reading A Walk in the Woods...

The Delaware Water Gap.

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 04-04-2019 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 12:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Just finished reading Blood Oath by Linda Fairstein, I believe a good writer for fans of crime/mystery novels. I particularly enjoy her as I grew up just outside NYC and each one of her Alexandra Cooper series tends to center around a NYC landmark and give historical information on it I wouldn't otherwise know.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:52 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Talk to Me by John Kenney. Loved it. News anchor who has a fit on the air and loses his whole life as a result. Kept thinking about Matt Lauer or Charlie Rose during the read. Easy to read, enjoyable.

I loved that too! Well written, engrossing.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:19 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
The Last Telegram by Liz Trenow... read it in three days.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:02 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Alrighty, I'm going to see if this one works for me: Lights All Night Long by Lydia Fitzpatrick. It's her debut novel.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:25 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default History examined

Lying about Hitler : history, Holocaust, and the David Irving trial / Richard J. Evans, c2001, Basic Books, 940.5318 Evan.

Subjects
• Irving, David John Cawdell, -- 1938- -- Trials, litigation, etc.
• Lipstadt, Deborah E -- Trials, litigation, etc.
• Penguin (Firm) -- Trials, litigation, etc.
• Trials (Libel) -- England -- London.
• Holocaust denial literature -- Great Britain.
• Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Historiography.

Notes
• Includes bibliographical references (p. [267]-309) and index.

Length
• xiv, 318 pages ; chapter notes, index

The libel trial Irving filed against Lipstadt in UK in 2000 over her characterization of him as a Holocaust denier. The preparation, the trial, the nuts & bolts of history, documentary sources, & the process of history. Essential reading, for anyone interested in the Holocaust, history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books