Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 08:15 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times

Advertisements

Just finished "Another Brooklyn" by Jacqueline Woodson https://www.amazon.com/Another-Brook.../dp/0062359991

This was a 3.5 star read for me. It was a short read with short paragraphs, coming in at 170 pages, I read it in one sitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 11:44 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "Another Brooklyn" by Jacqueline Woodson https://www.amazon.com/Another-Brook.../dp/0062359991

This was a 3.5 star read for me. It was a short read with short paragraphs, coming in at 170 pages, I read it in one sitting.
I'm 12% in to A Kind of Freedom by this author. So far, so good. I have to jog my memory because I believe I read Another Brooklyn awhile ago.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Finished Ketchup Clouds this weekend. Even though it's mostly a YA story it was a good story. It was very suspenseful and developed into a real page turner.
4 out of 5 stars.

I'm only 60 pages into The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. I can't say anything about it yet.

Next on will be Ross Poldark just to understand what the hype is all about.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:17 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm 12% in to A Kind of Freedom by this author. So far, so good. I have to jog my memory because I believe I read Another Brooklyn awhile ago.
Hi tigerlily,

Jacqueline Woodson does have another novel out called "Red at the Bone" https://www.amazon.com/Red-at-Bone-J.../dp/0525535276

The novel you were referring to "A Kind of Freedom" is by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton https://www.amazon.com/Kind-Freedom-.../dp/1619029227

At any rate, they BOTH look to be winners! Thanks for mentioning "A Kind of Freedom", please report back with your final thoughts on it!

Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 AM

484 posts, read 197,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I fought reading that book because I tell myself I don't like fiction - and I often don't. But dang it, this was a really good, evocative book. I enjoyed every minute of reading it.
I love fiction, that is about all I read, and I've been wanting to read this book, so I'm glad to know it is good. My dtr in law just checked it out from the Library. I'm interested to see what she thinks.
Thanks for your review!

Old 12-02-2019, 08:57 AM

484 posts, read 197,625 times
I just finished, The Tattooist of Auschweitz last night and it was a very good book. True story, it sometimes overwhelms you when you stop and consider what all those people had to endure. And to realize that such evil existed and still does in places.
I'd give it 5 stars.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:05 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I am sooooo ready to get back to reading again! I changed jobs and had eight weeks of home study reading tons of medical articles a week so didn't allow myself to pick up a pleasure book that would distract me. All done with that and super ready to get back to reading what I want to read!

First stop - going back through dozens and dozens of posts here to see what everyone is reading.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
For nonfiction, I am halfway through Long Haul by Finn Murphy, who describes his 40-year career as a long-distance trucker specializing in high-end (e.g., corporate-paid) residential moves. The author paints a frank and beautifully articulate (yes, written by a trucker) picture of life spent mostly on the road. With much humor and sharp insights into human nature, he reveals the many aspects of the job that most of us don’t stop to think about, despite encountering these anonymous yet important haulers every time we drive on major highways and, often, on local roads.

For fiction, I finally borrowed a copy of Lisa See’s The Island of Sea Women, which I had put on my list months ago. Yay!

Also, I just finished George Takai’s graphic autobiography, They Called Us Enemy. Read it and weep for fear that the US might soon repeat another such atrocity of persecution.

Hurray for libraries and bookstores!
On this recommendation I got the book from the library - my favorite genre of books is books where the author is taking a road trip, or hiking trip.

I only read the introduction and am put off by how very full of himself the author appears to be - does that tone continue through the book?

Old 12-02-2019, 04:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa6119 View Post
I just finished, The Tattooist of Auschweitz last night and it was a very good book. True story, it sometimes overwhelms you when you stop and consider what all those people had to endure. And to realize that such evil existed and still does in places.
I'd give it 5 stars.
I read that book and also thought it was quite good. It was a fairly easy read all things considered. Not particularly long, and written well.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:32 PM

443 posts, read 437,608 times
Reading My Ex-Life by Stephen McCauley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books