Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 01:22 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times

Advertisements

Wow I am so glad this forum is so happening lately!
Re Bruce Feller, I am not familiar with the books you mentioned, K of A, BUT I have read Walking the Bible by him and thought it was really great. I thought I read something else by him and totally enjoyed it. He is Jewish, from Savannah Ga.]I just looked and man oh man he has written quite a few books. Thanks for the reminder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 06:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Wow I am so glad this forum is so happening lately!
Re Bruce Feller, I am not familiar with the books you mentioned, K of A, BUT I have read Walking the Bible by him and thought it was really great. I thought I read something else by him and totally enjoyed it. He is Jewish, from Savannah Ga.]I just looked and man oh man he has written quite a few books. Thanks for the reminder.
You are so welcome! I really love his writing style and his gently humorous approach to things. I love how he is respectful of other cultures while also showing his surprise and even discomfort at some of the customs.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:28 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You are so welcome! I really love his writing style and his gently humorous approach to things. I love how he is respectful of other cultures while also showing his surprise and even discomfort at some of the customs.
You have intrigued me enough to want to try him
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-06-2019, 04:07 AM

ok so I finished Before I Go To Sleep last night. Definitely not a book I would have picked but it was for book club. To my surprise, it was really quite good and definitely engrossing. Yes, it's about a woman with amnesia but it was so well written and just drew me in...... I loved the first maybe 85% and then...
And then, as I often comment, the ending part seemed to me, to be kind of disjointed. It had some twists, and some were a bit hard to follow. So overall I still thought the book was very good, but had the ending been on par with the rest of it - omg would have been more than amazing! Truthfully though I wonder if it's partly me because I often find endings are the disappointing part. Either they are trying to tie things up and finish, or maybe I am ?

I am starting Another Brooklyn, mentioned here. I was able to get it from the library on kindle, and it is 170 ish pages.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:29 AM

484 posts, read 197,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
ok so I finished Before I Go To Sleep last night. Definitely not a book I would have picked but it was for book club. To my surprise, it was really quite good and definitely engrossing. Yes, it's about a woman with amnesia but it was so well written and just drew me in...... I loved the first maybe 85% and then...
And then, as I often comment, the ending part seemed to me, to be kind of disjointed. It had some twists, and some were a bit hard to follow. So overall I still thought the book was very good, but had the ending been on par with the rest of it - omg would have been more than amazing! Truthfully though I wonder if it's partly me because I often find endings are the disappointing part. Either they are trying to tie things up and finish, or maybe I am ?

I am starting Another Brooklyn, mentioned here. I was able to get it from the library on kindle, and it is 170 ish pages.

Mayvenne,
I just finished the last book, This Is Not Over, and found the same thing. The ending was kind of weird and a little weak.
I wonder if authors have a great idea for a book and it's all good when they're fleshing out that idea and the plot, but never think about how it's going to end so they just throw the ending together. lol I wonder what would happen if you started with the end in mind and then worked the rest of the book around that?

Old 12-06-2019, 11:31 AM

484 posts, read 197,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I adore Bill Bryson. I haven't read this one though! Hmmmm...

His "Notes From a Small Planet" turned me onto him. I was standing in Barnes and Noble, thumbing through it and literally laughing out loud, so I figured I should probably buy this book, which I did. Now I have many of his books!

Not quite as funny but gently witty and very insightful are the books by Bruce Feiler. "Learning To Bow," "Under the Big Top," "Looking for Class," and "Dreaming Out Loud" are my favorites by him. I love how he immerses himself into a particular culture and then gently describes it - not "exposes" it, because he is far too kind for that, and I think it's his inherent kindness that allows him that access into other cultures and subcultures anyway. But he is very intuitive and I really enjoy his gently humorous writing style.

In the above books, in order, Feiler: 1) Teaches English in a rather isolated Japanese village for a couple of years, 2) joins a traveling circus for a couple of years, 3) attends college at a prestigious British college, and 4) "dives deep" into the country music scene in Nashville. Fascinating! Well, to me, anyway. But I'm a weirdo.
We're all weirdos in our own way. The trick is knowing how much weird to let out and put on view, without scaring others away.
Okay, nobody steal that, that sounds like something I'd like to put in a book someday. More probably my blog.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:31 PM

Yaya I cannot rep you but I so appreciate your saying the same thing about the ending. ( I find that so often).
This book in particular though, really irritated me with how invested in it I was, and then I wasn't sure what I had read.
Given the storyline is puzzling and curious and twisted enough, but I really wish it was more deliberate.
Oh well...... glad you agreed!

Old 12-07-2019, 01:41 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Hi tigerlily,

Jacqueline Woodson does have another novel out called "Red at the Bone" https://www.amazon.com/Red-at-Bone-J.../dp/0525535276

The novel you were referring to "A Kind of Freedom" is by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton https://www.amazon.com/Kind-Freedom-.../dp/1619029227

At any rate, they BOTH look to be winners! Thanks for mentioning "A Kind of Freedom", please report back with your final thoughts on it!
Hi Firehouse. Yes, apparently I confused Another Brooklyn with Negroland a memoir by Margo Jefferson. Another Brooklyn is one I did not read.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:42 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,398 times
Survivors by James Wesley Rawles...a novel of the coming collapse.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
I just started reading Vicksburg by Donald L. Miller. It’s the story of Grant’s campaign to capture the Mississippi River city during the Civil War. I’m not a Civil War buff, but just love reading about Grant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books