Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2020, 10:31 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times

Advertisements

I'll have to give "Sacajawea" a try. I think I'd like it, maybe even more than "Undaunted Courage". There were so many political issues going on in it and I was really more interested in the actual bushwhacking adventure parts. I'd just read a book about the Alaska Gold Rush so was in that mode of wilderness exploration. I loved the parts about Sacajawea. Thanks for the recommendation.

Almost forgot . . . the Donner Party. I haven't read anything more than the general information that's out there. I have been to the memorial site at Truckee. That was almost enough. I live not too terribly far from there, although considerably downhill, so we hear references to them frequently, especially during a bad winter up there. But I'd like to read a well-written, well-researched book about them. Anything you'd specifically recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 11:29 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times
Positive, David Wellington (2015).

Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,488 times
Powered through 2 books the other day.
The first prequel in the Throne of Glass books called The Assassin and the Pirate Lord and then the Unbinding of Mary Read which was a fictional romance loosely based off her life as a pirate

Old 01-24-2020, 05:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I'll have to give "Sacajawea" a try. I think I'd like it, maybe even more than "Undaunted Courage". There were so many political issues going on in it and I was really more interested in the actual bushwhacking adventure parts. I'd just read a book about the Alaska Gold Rush so was in that mode of wilderness exploration. I loved the parts about Sacajawea. Thanks for the recommendation.

Almost forgot . . . the Donner Party. I haven't read anything more than the general information that's out there. I have been to the memorial site at Truckee. That was almost enough. I live not too terribly far from there, although considerably downhill, so we hear references to them frequently, especially during a bad winter up there. But I'd like to read a well-written, well-researched book about them. Anything you'd specifically recommend?
Oh I hope you like "Sacajawea!" I really enjoyed reading things from her perspective.

I've read several books about the Donner Party. They were all interesting in a horrible way. The two that stick out in my mind are:

All We Left Behind: Virginia Reed and the Donner Party by Nancy Herman

I also really liked Winter Harvest by Norah Lofts.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:48 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Positive, David Wellington (2015).
^ put that one down for now...

reading

48 Hours, William R. Forstchen (2019).

Old 01-24-2020, 08:02 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "The Bear and the Nightingale" by Katherine Arden https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Nighting.../dp/1101885955

This book was a Russian fairytale, filled with Russian folklore. It had a lot of Russian characters, names, and words and took a very concentrated effort to read. If you're looking for an easy read, this isn't it! To my dismay, I didn't realize it had a glossary as to the Russian words used in the book until I was at the very end. Had I know about it, while reading, it would have made things much easier to read AND understand. UGH!

On the positive side, it did have very lyrical and descriptive writing in it which is mainly what kept me going. It is the first book in a winternight trilogy. Overall, it was a 3.5 star read for me. Will I read the other 2 books? I don't know, I don't know!

I see both ylisa and netwit have read this book, have either of you gone on to finish the trilogy, and were you glad you did?
Well, "The Girl in The Tower" by Katherine Arden https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...l-in-the-tower was the last book on my library pile, so I figured (why not?). It was an easier read than the first, but I still felt it was a 3.5 star read for me.

If my library has it, I will go on and finish the trilogy (why not?)

Old 01-24-2020, 02:55 PM

884 posts, read 623,679 times
Currently, I'm reading "Berlin Calling." It's an account of the 1989 'peaceful revolution' in East Germany that upended communism. The author, Paul Hockenos, paints a story of the artistic and political ferment that took place in the newly undivided Berlin.

He portrays the energy and raw urban vibe of the early 1990s which helped to shape today's Berlin.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:51 AM

3,832 posts, read 1,783,960 times
The Paris Secret by Lily Graham

WWII related historical fiction. It was surprisingly good.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:06 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
So I just finished My Sister the Serial Killer , very good read and quite different. (also a pretty short book- which I read on kindle).

For one of my book clubs, we are reading The Address by Fiona Davis. There seem to be a few books with that name. I just started it but it seems very interesting, so far. It's historical fiction about the Dakota (NYC).

It's funny because I usually do not know what a book is about when I start it. I just take recommendations on this and other forums or book club reads and if the name sounds ok I read it.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I am finishing up The Five, which has been very good. Very well researched and written. It's about the five women who were killed by Jack The Ripper apparently. It is definitely NOT gruesome - it intentionally doesn't dwell on the murders. It focuses on the lives of the women up to that point.

It goes into a lot of detail about the lives of the women - whatever is documented, which varies a lot from woman to woman. It also goes into a lot of detail about Victorian England and the slums of London. I was somewhat familiar with the history of the slums of London but wow, this has really given me a lot more insight into work houses, neighborhoods, and especially the rights, or lack thereof, of women and children in the industrial age. Really, of everyone. Workplace safety? That's a laugh.

One compelling argument in the book is that most of these women were NOT prostitutes, though they were all categorized as such. This misinformation probably impeded the search for the killer(s).

It's 352 pages but it's a fairly easy read - the print isn't tiny and it's well written. One thing I prefer is a real book over a Kindle, but I have a Kindle because sometimes books are so heavy, or the print is so small...this hasn't been the case with this particular book.

I say "fairly easy" to read only because it's just so interesting and filled with minutia that's riveting, that I haven't wanted to skim any part of it, so when I read every. single. word. it takes me a few days to get through a typical book. I should finish it this morning.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...d/1129185729#/

I just got my next book in the mail - 999. I hope it's as well written as The Five!

https://www.bookbrowse.com/bb_briefs...mber/14676/999
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books