Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2021, 02:04 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times

Advertisements

Didn't realize this was out:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 04:49 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,783,960 times
Oeccscclhjhn, the book about Columbus and his last voyage looks intriguing. What do you think of it so far?

I am going to start "The Forgotten Daughter" by Joanna Goodman.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:06 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Well, I finally got around to reading "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-crawdads-sing

With all the hoopla surrounding this book, I was honestly expecting this one to knock my socks off...but it didn't. Part of it was that I don't enjoy mystery, so I am ending up giving it 3.5 stars.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:02 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Well, I finally got around to reading "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-crawdads-sing

With all the hoopla surrounding this book, I was honestly expecting this one to knock my socks off...but it didn't. Part of it was that I don't enjoy mystery, so I am ending up giving it 3.5 stars.
I read this for a book club, and I was actually expecting not to like it. But I liked it a lot more than I expected. I didn't love it, though, and I'm really puzzled by all the extreme love for it. I don't understand how it's been at the top of the bestseller lists for years. It was a fine/good enough story, but nothing that blew me away or seemed especially unique.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Oooh, let me know if this is any good!

Old 02-02-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I read this for a book club, and I was actually expecting not to like it. But I liked it a lot more than I expected. I didn't love it, though, and I'm really puzzled by all the extreme love for it. I don't understand how it's been at the top of the bestseller lists for years. It was a fine/good enough story, but nothing that blew me away or seemed especially unique.
That's how I felt exactly. I mean, I finally read it (against my will sort of) and ended up liking, but not LOVING, it. But I did read the entire thing and enjoyed it so there's that.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:31 PM

Y'all made me do it - I ordered a used copy of Rebecca and am rereading it - I hadn't read it since probably high school. WOW, it's great!!!!!

I didn't know the same author wrote Jamaica Inn. I haven't read it but I watched the EXCELLENT miniseries. Very intriguing. For those who are into this sort of thing, the main character in the miniseries is Lady Sybil from Downton Abbey - aka Jessica Brown-Findley.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:28 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post

I love mystery, but thought this book was only so-so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I completely agree. https://www.city-data.com/forum/book...ds-anyone.html

Old 02-03-2021, 10:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I love mystery, but thought this book was only so-so.

I completely agree. https://www.city-data.com/forum/book...ds-anyone.html
If book clubs have taken it up that explains lot of sales IMO
Just like The Great Gatsby
It was on the teaching syllabus for high school and college for generations
People didn’t seek it out because they loved to read it

Old 02-03-2021, 02:19 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
[ goodreads ]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books