Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 06:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Just finished "What the Body remembers" by Shauna Singh Baldwin. Very moving.

Yesterday I picked up Hidden in Plain Sight: Growing up in the Shadow of Saddam by Zainab Salbi.

It seems I have a run with this kind of topic; women in different cultures, how they live, how they are treated...
Can be very upsetting.
Have you read Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali? I couldn't put it down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 06:57 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Thanks - I have added Hamnet to my TBR list which grows and grows!

Still reading The Last Kings of Shanghai
i which is non fiction and truly my head is spinning. I am so unfamiliar with Asian history ( and this is pretty much 19th and 20th century) so this is a lot to absorb but much if it does relate to other events that were familiar.
Anyway, really a good read.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:36 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Have you read Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali? I couldn't put it down!

Not yet. But I'll check it out, thank you

I guess I need something light and easy afterwards.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Second in series of mysteries By Graham Brack “Untrue Till Death†set in Holland in time of Vermeer—
he has a role in #1 Death in Delft
Main character is a lecturer/professor/cleric (all professors apparently had to be clerics) named Mercurius at university in Delft
Interesting time period
Humor in the narration
William of Orange is character in #2

Old 08-18-2020, 09:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
[Blue Ticket[/b] by Sophie Mackintosh. Reminiscent of the Handmaid’s Tale. A dystopian world where a woman’s role in life is predetermined by a lottery. A white ticket grants marriage and children. A blue ticket grants a career and freedom. No choice and your fate is permanent. A page turner.
I can’t imagine a government strong enough to enforce such draconian measures that would allow a woman “a career and freedomâ€....but might check it out...

Old 08-18-2020, 09:32 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
I just started Big Little Lies and realized I read it 5 years ago in book club.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:57 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Just finished The Fireman by Joe Hill. Great Summer page-turner/goose bump maker.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:33 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Eeny, meeny, miny, moe

Disunited Nations : The Scramble for Power in an Ungoverned World / Peter Zeihan, c2020, Harper Business, 327.1 ZEIH.

Subjects
World politics -- 21st century -- Forecasting.
International relations -- Forecasting.
Geopolitics.
Great powers.

Notes
Briefly profiles China, Japan, Russia, Germany, France, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Brazil, Argentina, US.

Summary
"Most countries and companies are not prepared for the world Peter Zeihan says we're already living in. For decades, America's allies have depended on its might for their economic and physical security. But as a new age of American isolationism dawns, the results will surprise everyone. In Disunited Nations, geopolitical strategist Peter Zeihan presents a series of counterintuitive arguments about the future of a world where trade agreements are coming apart and international institutions are losing their power"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
xvi, 453 pages : many maps & graphs, index

A scary overview of where the World could be heading. Highly recommended.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:50 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Big science to the rescue

Hacking planet Earth : how geoengineering can help us reimagine the future / Thomas Kostigen, c2020, TarcherPerigee, 628.2 KOST.

Subjects
Environmental geotechnology.

Summary
"An exploration of the cutting-edge technology that will enable us to confront the realities of climate change"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
viii, 337 pages, many drawings, index, chapter notes, index

A gee-whiz approach to big science/technology efforts/possibilities to solve our World science/technology problems - climate change, CO2, potable water, cropland, agriculture, etc. Very enthusiastic approach, but good brief articles, lots of helpful drawings. He writes on environmental issues - bestselling author & journalist.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:18 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I finished The Last Kings of Shanghai (stayed up late last night). It was so interesting. I highly recommend. It's history but is so relevant with China and Hong Kong today.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...gs-of-shanghai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books