Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2020, 06:30 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times

Advertisements

Just finished "A State of Freedom" by Neel Mukheajee https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ate-of-freedom

This was a 3.5 star read for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 07:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Almost done with "Little Disasters" by Sarah Vaughan. The title does not suit this book at all. Author deals very adequately with postpartum depression which is very difficult to read about and brought back my own memories of this illness. I give it 5 stars and will look for another book by Sarah Vaughan next.

Old 09-10-2020, 03:25 AM

101 posts, read 38,186 times
https://goodreads.com/book/show/281235.Bunnicula
Before it's too late, Harold the dog and Chester the cat must find out the truth about the newest pet in the Monroe household -- a suspicious-looking bunny with unusual habits... and fangs!

from our collection

Old 09-10-2020, 04:11 AM

from our collection
Ich bin hier bloß die Katze
by Hanna Johansen
https://goodreads.com/book/show/7173227-ich-bin-hier-blo-die-katze
A Cats Happy Life
by Hanna Johansen
https://goodreads.com/book/show/42943918-a-cats-happy-life
confession of a domestic cat in German and English

Last edited by Koveshnikov; 09-10-2020 at 05:38 AM..

Old 09-10-2020, 04:16 AM

from our collection
Leger's Foe
(The Leger Hotel Mysteries #4)
by Lacey Dearie
https://goodreads.com/book/show/25573303-leger-s-foe
The fourth book in the Leger Hotel Mysteries Series sees Leger faced with two mysteries. Kevin the swan has confessed to killing a local man by drowning him in the loch, but is he telling the truth? While trying to uncover the real story, Leger and Bob also have to look for Carole, who Lily is convinced is the real killer. Can they clear her name?

Last edited by Koveshnikov; 09-10-2020 at 05:39 AM..

Old 09-10-2020, 10:51 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
I finished the Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. The novels deal in a world, a single supercontinent called the Stillness, riddled with everlasting earthquakes and catastrophic events(called Fifth Seasons) occuring at intervals of every few centuries that can last for an indefinite amount of time. The people of the continent are in a perpetual loop of preparedness, or else only famine and mass extinction awaits. Meanwhile, there exist millennia spanning prejudice and oppression of a small caste of people with the supernatural ability( orogene) to quell shakes but also can be the causation of them, in some cases triggering a fifth season. The origin of the Seasons and reason for their hatred of these people have been lost over the long span of millennia, but as the story panes out mysteries unraveled and the real truth is revealed through the journey of characters in search of reconcilation amid an Earth in turmoil.
The author did a superb job in blending Sci-Fi/dystopia and Fantasy tropes to create a compelling, original story. Also, beautifully dealt with heavy social issues such as oppression, racism, and prejudices, leaving a powerful message in a world of characters that readers can sympathize and resonate with. I thoroughly enjoyed the books, from prologue to the end. It lives up to being an awards winning novel series.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:20 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I started The Heart's Invisible Furies which has been on my radar for a while, but I hesitated because it's a big book ( and I often lose steam with the big ones). Anyway I am about 15 % into it, and it's really something else. It's a pretty "easy" read in that it really draws one in.
As I often do , I just note book names that are recommended and don't know what they will be about. I had no idea that this had so much humor in it. It does remind me a little bit of Confederacy of Dunces which I really liked, but Confederacy was a lot more work to read.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:56 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I thought it worthwhile. Although I was aware of the symbiotic relationship between 45 and Fox, the author provides a more in depth look at some of the players at Fox. The idea that a president is running the country on advice from Fox is mind boggling and very scary. I thought the movie about Roger Ailes with Russell Crowe was excellent. Kudos to the makeup artist.
Gabriel Sherman's book, The Loudest Voice in the Room, on which the show was based, is really good. I loved both the series and the book.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:32 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveshnikov View Post
from our collection
Ich bin hier bloß die Katze
by Hanna Johansen
https://goodreads.com/book/show/7173...-blo-die-katze
A Cats Happy Life
by Hanna Johansen
https://goodreads.com/book/show/4294...ats-happy-life
confession of a domestic cat in German and English
I'm interested - but I can't find it with an English translation.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:32 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Right now I'm reading Caste by Isabel Wilkerson. It is great. I've wanted to read her previous book The Warmth of Other Suns for a long time now, and I finally got my book club to agree to read it, so it's slotted for, I think, our January meeting. So I didn't want to read it this early. But I got Caste through BOTM (I was shocked it was one of their offerings) and decided to go ahead and read it. I'm not at all disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books