Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times

Advertisements

I am reading El Sicaro, Confessions of a Cartel Hit Man.

Interesting monologue on ex- member of a cartel. Chilling at times, eye-opening and ... at times unimaginable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Tolstoy wrote well. I was afraid to begin reading him back in the day but once I read my first Tolstoy book I was hooked. He's a bit verbose but his character development is exceptional.
Yea, funny thing was I just picked a book from the list not knowing ANY of the novels and authors (except for Pride and Prejudice because I've seen the movie). I've never take the time to read for entertainment, so I was dreading it, but I was sucked in instantly with Oblonsky's infidelity to his wife Dolly, and the relationship between Lenin and Kitty. Good way to start a book: with plenty of drama! This is one of those novels that doesn't start off slow and then pick up. It sucks you in on the first page.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Well, I'm almost halfway through Earth Abides and it is starting to feel verrrry, verrry long. I expected it to be a bit dated, but Ish has no personality. His reactions to the end to the end of the world feel like a shrug.

I can understand why the book would have been a sensation when it was first published, but I am sorry to say that so far it doesn't do a thing for me.

I will force myself to finish it, but I can hardly wait for it to be over.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I'm almost halfway through Earth Abides and it is starting to feel verrrry, verrry long. I expected it to be a bit dated, but Ish has no personality. His reactions to the end to the end of the world feel like a shrug.

I can understand why the book would have been a sensation when it was first published, but I am sorry to say that so far it doesn't do a thing for me.

I will force myself to finish it, but I can hardly wait for it to be over.
I'm sorry you are not enjoying it, netwit. I liked it a lot.

You're right, Ish has zero personality and his reactions to things are flat. I've seen people like that when as they move from dementia to full blown Alzheimers.

What I liked about the book are the changing of the seasons. It's almost a study in botany. I enjoyed following that.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I downloaded my first library book on the Kindle!!!!! YAY!!! Technology is really sweet. I don't even think that I'll return this Kindle. Well, at least I hope that I won't. I really want to like it this time. It won't replace paper books, but I hope it will be a nice addition (and save me money by downloading library books).

ANYWAY!

As soon as I finish Middlesex (only 70 pages to go -- I'm really loving it), I'll start on:

Please Look After Mom (FREE! FROM THE LIBRARY! ON MY KINDLE! which I already might have mentioned ) by Kyung-Sook Shin.

Amazon.com: Please Look After Mom (9780307593917): Kyung-Sook Shin: Books

Sounds good, right?

Happy weekend, everyone!
I didn't realize that you could download Library Books on a Kindle!?!? That puts a completely different light on things.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I didn't realize that you could download Library Books on a Kindle!?!? That puts a completely different light on things.
It's a new thing!!!

I bought a Kindle a couple of years ago, kept it for a few hours, and returned it. But when I saw an article a couple of weeks ago (someone posted it on this forum), I bought myself another Kindle. And I kept it! And I even enjoyed using it!

The problem is that there are not many books that are available on the Kindle.

Check to see if your library offers the service. Then check to see if any of the books that you want to read are available.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,807 times
I'm currently reading The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis, who wrote it in 1795 when he was 19 years old. It's really well written and an interesting story that takes place mainly in Spain about the trials and tribulations of a group of young adults who have to deal with a society steeped deeply in the Spanish Inquisition.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Just Finished Lamb by Christopher Moore. It's described as the story of Jesus as told by his best friend, Biff. It's funny and very sweet. The majority of it takes place during the years from when Jesus was 12 to when he was 33. Most of the humor is very sophmoric and certainly won't be to everyone's liking, but Jesus is never described in a way that most people would find offensive. Moore just "fills in" details that don't appear in the Bible. I liked it much more than I thought I would.

Next I'm going to look at You're Going to Wear That? by Deborah Tannen. It's about communication between mothers and daughters.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Finished!

I know that I said that I wasn't going to read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, but I can't resist her writing. Her short stories made me swoon. So I'm going to try The Namesake. I'll start it later on. I figure that, even if I don't love the story, I'll still love her writing style. At least I hope so.
I saw the movie and to be honest, didn't even realize it was based on a book. Now I want to read the book. That's why I love this thread....

Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Just Finished Lamb by Christopher Moore. It's described as the story of Jesus as told by his best friend, Biff.
This in itself is hilarious. "Biff." HAHAHAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I saw the movie and to be honest, didn't even realize it was based on a book. Now I want to read the book. That's why I love this thread....
And I didn't know it was a movie until I saw "Now a major motion picture" on the cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books