Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times

Advertisements

I am almost done with "Living dead in Dallas" by Charlaine Harris. This is the second one I have read by her. The first was "Dead until dark." The Sookie Stackhouse series. I keep finding these at Goodwill for 99 cents. (minus half off courtesy of my husbands senior discount)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 AM

4 posts, read 5,588 times
Just finishing the hunger games trilogy. Read it before the movies come out

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,853 times
I just finished Atonement and sadly didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped I would.
Happily, the book before this was the wonderfully moving, historically accurate, The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTrails View Post
Just finishing the hunger games trilogy. Read it before the movies come out
I just finished those last week.

"Case Histories," based on Kate Atkinson's books is on Masterpiece Mystery this month. I liked the first episode, so I picked up the first two books in the series at the library.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
As an aside - am I the only one who has a hard time quitting a book after I've started, even if I'm having a hard time getting into the book? I really wish I wasn't this way!
No, I am like that too, and all my books are now from the library, so I have no monetary obligation to read it. Part of my reason is that I have read many books that start out slowly or annoying or whatever, but eventually turn into stories I enjoy. So I always have that hope that it will happen with the book I am currently reading.

I did finally stop a book that my brother recommended to me, "The Cailiffs of Bagdad," because it was just all over the place. I keep thinking I should check it out again and finish it as he liked it enough to recommend it, but . . . no, I think not.

I have checked out four books in the last week, some of which I had to do because they were on hold and had tons of people on the waiting list. All of them are books I found in this thread. I have found I wasn't in the mood for two of them at the moment, "The Game of Thrones" and "In the Garden of Beasts," so they are waiting on my mp3 player. "One Thousand White Women" was missing most of the second section, so that will have to wait until I can go to the actual library and get the CDs. I am now reading Stephen King's "Bag of Bones" and am blissfully enjoying my escape into spooky land.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM

885 posts, read 1,521,453 times
Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Guide to Etiquette from 1950-something. It's amusing and well-written.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:41 PM

529 posts, read 363,730 times
Reading Code Name: Copperhead, my true life exploits as a special forces soldier. I picked up The 5000 year leap and America B.C. today from library once I finished Copperhead and Walk Across America 2 I will get into those.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
I'm not into reading (I know I should read more), but I'm reading Leo Tolstoy's Ana Karenina. I have to do a literary analysis for my English Literature class, but I found that I'm actually enjoying it.
Anna Karenina is such a delight to read, I have kept a copy around for about 25 years, just to pick up and open at random and luxuriate in it. Sadly, that's not what your English Lit class wants you to get out of it, and you need to spoil the experience by understanding it.

Studying a naturally great work reminds me of what Mark Twain said about Golf: A nice walk spoiled.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:44 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
No, I am like that too, and all my books are now from the library, so I have no monetary obligation to read it. Part of my reason is that I have read many books that start out slowly or annoying or whatever, but eventually turn into stories I enjoy. So I always have that hope that it will happen with the book I am currently reading.

I did finally stop a book that my brother recommended to me, "The Cailiffs of Bagdad," because it was just all over the place. I keep thinking I should check it out again and finish it as he liked it enough to recommend it, but . . . no, I think not.

I have checked out four books in the last week, some of which I had to do because they were on hold and had tons of people on the waiting list. All of them are books I found in this thread. I have found I wasn't in the mood for two of them at the moment, "The Game of Thrones" and "In the Garden of Beasts," so they are waiting on my mp3 player. "One Thousand White Women" was missing most of the second section, so that will have to wait until I can go to the actual library and get the CDs. I am now reading Stephen King's "Bag of Bones" and am blissfully enjoying my escape into spooky land.
I started reading this book and was enjoying the beginning. About 30 pages in the heroine is riding on a train across country in the company of some of the 1000 White Women. Every damn one was a sketch of a typical stereotype. The plain but kind hearted girl, the Irish twins who were thieves and prostitutes, the drunken Southern belle, the proud ex-slave, the English girl wearing pants that may be a (gasp) lesbian, etc. I think the author could have worked a little on character development and not resorted to trite stereotypes. Ugh.... I was done.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I started reading this book and was enjoying the beginning. About 30 pages in the heroine is riding on a train across country in the company of some of the 1000 White Women. Every damn one was a sketch of a typical stereotype. The plain but kind hearted girl, the Irish twins who were thieves and prostitutes, the drunken Southern belle, the proud ex-slave, the English girl wearing pants that may be a (gasp) lesbian, etc. I think the author could have worked a little on character development and not resorted to trite stereotypes. Ugh.... I was done.
Oh no! Don't give up on it. It's interesting to find out what happens to the women and how some of them change their perspective on life. In other words, the characters do develop in the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books