Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
As an aside - am I the only one who has a hard time quitting a book after I've started, even if I'm having a hard time getting into the book? I really wish I wasn't this way!
I used to be like that some years ago, but I've stopped. I now give myself "permission" to give up. I use the "there are so many books that I'm aching to read, so why should I waste my time reading one that I'm not enjoying?" logic. It works. I don't even feel (very) guilty about it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Just finished Tarzan, now onto Call of the Wild. I love these buy-25-nook books-for-$2.99 thingies.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Just finished Tarzan, now onto Call of the Wild. I love these buy-25-nook books-for-$2.99 thingies.
25???

When are you going to find time to make tacos???

Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I used to be like that some years ago, but I've stopped. I now give myself "permission" to give up. I use the "there are so many books that I'm aching to read, so why should I waste my time reading one that I'm not enjoying?" logic. It works. I don't even feel (very) guilty about it anymore.
Tried to rep you on this but was told I have to spread it around. I agree - life's too short to spend time reading something that you're not enjoying.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Ayn Rand
and the World She Made

by Anne Heller

If you are a fan of her works, The Fountainhead
& Atlas Shrugged, then this bio is for you. Fascinating book , as is the woman and her very famous writings.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Quote:
25???

When are you going to find time to make tacos???
The 25 books packaged together thing is pretty much available on all of your best dead authors. It's cheaper than buying them separately, but you do end up with some repeats in your compilations.

I will make you tacos as soon as Jeremy and you get your booties to the Lone Star State. I'll even make some for J out of my husband's favorite vegetable -- chicken.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The 25 books packaged together thing is pretty much available on all of your best dead authors. It's cheaper than buying them separately, but you do end up with some repeats in your compilations.

I will make you tacos as soon as Jeremy and you get your booties to the Lone Star State. I'll even make some for J out of my husband's favorite vegetable -- chicken.
You remembered that Jeremy doesn't eat red meat AND you made me laugh out loud by calling it your hubby's favorite vegetable? THIS! This is why I adore you!

I'd love to come visit! Some day...

Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but I feel like I've started the book, and I wanted to read it, so I am going to finish it. My husband says he has no sympathy for me when I complain about a book because he also thinks I should just give up. I actually was able to give up on one book this year, Blood Meridian, but I do hope to get back to it at some point. It just wasn't a good time for that book for me. With Bloody Crimes, I didn't want to give up because it was a hardback copy of the book that I bought and I felt I had to read the book after spending all that money on it.

I will try to give up and move on, next time. Although I hope there isn't a next time!

Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
I started on Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War by Tony Horwitz. Bloody Crimes got me in the mood for another book that dealt with the Civil War, and now being a Yankee living in the South, I thought I could learn more about the "War of Northern Aggression."

Old 10-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
With Bloody Crimes, I didn't want to give up because it was a hardback copy of the book that I bought and I felt I had to read the book after spending all that money on it.
I've got an easy solution for you: Sell it on Amazon. That's what I do. Except for a select few books that I want to keep, after I read a book (or don't read it because I didn't enjoy the beginning of it), I sell it on Amazon. It's easy-peasy to set up a Seller's Account. If you want help with that, just let me know and I'd be happy to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books