Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM

346 posts, read 482,242 times

Advertisements

Just finished Articles of War by Nick Arvin. Deeply disturbing WWII novel about war seen thru the eyes of a naive Iowa farm boy. HIGHLY recommended!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I really enjoyed that book. Several of us did. I think a followup to it is due out soon. There were a few places in the first quarter of the book that seemed to be going nowhere and I almost put it down because of that. I'm so glad I didn't because those loose ends will fit together in a most unexpected way.
Thanks for telling me that. It is a wandering story so far but I'll stick with it. He was talking about the second book when he was here but I can't remember if it's out, or just about to be out.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 PM

270 posts, read 487,967 times
Just finished The Help and Grisham's The Last Juror. Both really good

Working on Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, which is super interesting.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:20 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thanks for telling me that. It is a wandering story so far but I'll stick with it. He was talking about the second book when he was here but I can't remember if it's out, or just about to be out.
It comes out in October. Yippee!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
As I was three-quarters through the book, I started wondering: "Why is this guy going to this mountain?" It's interesting enough, especially if -- like me, you are interested in Tibetan's way of life and Tibetan Buddhism. But Thubron is not a Tibetan Buddhist. In fact he reveals in an interview at the end of the book that he's agnostic. He made the journey not as a pilgrimage, as the others along the way, but because he needed some event to mark the passing of his last family member (his mother).

In short, it read like he was going through the motions of a pilgrimage but it was hollow and meaningless. I think there might have been better ways to learn the nuances of Tibetan Buddhism. Over all, I'd have to suggest giving this one a pass.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:32 PM

61 posts, read 208,817 times
Currently reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed, Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon, and re-reading Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick. Some people channel surf, but I tend to book surf

Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Gal View Post
Some people channel surf, but I tend to book surf
There used to be a time when I never had fewer than four in various stages, but I found I was getting things confused. When someone asked me what I thought about a book -- or worse, an author, I found myself talking about another and not realizing it until I'd already made a fool of myself!

Old 05-26-2012, 04:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
There used to be a time when I never had fewer than four in various stages, but I found I was getting things confused. When someone asked me what I thought about a book -- or worse, an author, I found myself talking about another and not realizing it until I'd already made a fool of myself!
I'm reading ONE book. Fifty pages after a character was introduced and then mentioned again, I've forgotten that character.

Same book, same character: After he's mentioned for the second time, I wonder, "Is he widowed? Did it say that 50 pages back? Or was that a whole other book that I read recently?"

I'm *only* 47. It's too early to be so, so, so... I don't know what word I'm looking for.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,319 times
Just finished Lucky Man by Mr. Fox. I love Michael Fox. And his writing isn't so bad either.

I'm on an autobiography streak lately, so my next book is going to be Moonwalk by Michael Jackson. Which, until I bought it 2 weeks ago, I had no idea he had the intelligence to even write a book.... needless to say, didn't know there WAS a book he wrote. So, interested to see how I like it.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
Just finished Lucky Man by Mr. Fox. I love Michael Fox. And his writing isn't so bad either.

I'm on an autobiography streak lately, so my next book is going to be Moonwalk by Michael Jackson. Which, until I bought it 2 weeks ago, I had no idea he had the intelligence to even write a book.... needless to say, didn't know there WAS a book he wrote. So, interested to see how I like it.
Michael Jackson didn't write that book himself. Very few celebrities actually write their own books. Jackson's ghost writer was Stephen Davis. MJF on the other hand, did apparently write his own book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books