Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Sigh...

Funny in Farsi is written in vignettes. It's not a cohesive memoir. She's a clever writer, though, so I'll likely finish it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM

91 posts, read 100,349 times
Party Of One: The Loner's Manifesto by Anneli Rufus

Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 AM

417 posts, read 455,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just read Dandelion Hunter which was a really unexpected delightful read. It's hard to classify it as it is I guess non fiction but sort of like Billy Bryson telling a story and relating facts- and maybe highlighting some perspective on stuff that is all around you every day. The full name is "Dandelion Hunter: Forgaging the Urban Wilderness"

In any case, I highly recommend it- it is light hearted but full of good info and just a good read.

Amazon.com: Dandelion Hunter: Foraging the Urban Wilderness: Explore similar items

Adding thisDandelion Hunter to be read- bryson is the magic word.

Also the Miss Peregrine and the end of your life book club. I just wish I had more time to read. so many books...

Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
The House at the End of Hope Street by Meena van Praag.

I finished it just now. I delayed reading the last chapter as long as I could...about 30 minutes...by playing a game of Trivial Pursuit on pogo.com and brewing more coffee and playing with the cats.....and then I had to finish it. I wanted so much for it not to be over. I love this book.

Look at the title. The House at THE END OF HOPE Street. I'm not hinting that one must be at the end of hope to enjoy it. I don't think any of us are at the end of hope. Most of us don't even need more hope than we already have but following the story of 4 woman who come across this house at a time when they need the house (hope) is wonderful. It's like the purring of a cat. Cats purr when they are content. I purred all through this book.

It's quite "literary" in presentation and like The End of Your life Book Club it has led me to other books, would you believe the classics, and I intend to read them.

Don't be afraid of the kindle edition. It is properly edited. I ran across two small errors and they were along the lines of writing "the" twice in a row. This is truly a lovely book that left me with the feeling that all's right with the world. This is truly a lovely book.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,734 times
Cholesterol Clarity: What the HDL is wrong with my numbers? by Jimmy Moore and Eric C. Westman M.D. Haven't finished the book so don't have all the info, but it is sure providing me with information that I needed.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Cholesterol Clarity: What the HDL is wrong with my numbers? by Jimmy Moore and Eric C. Westman M.D. Haven't finished the book so don't have all the info, but it is sure providing me with information that I needed.
Brilliant title! So clever.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Sigh...

Funny in Farsi is written in vignettes. It's not a cohesive memoir. She's a clever writer, though, so I'll likely finish it.
I lied.

I might start The Novel by James Michener later.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ron Curry Jr.'s "Everything Matters". An interesting read so far. Falls in the Fantasy category, I guess, but mostly pretty straight-forward fictional account of real-seeming people, handled averagely-well. Every once in a while it makes me think Curry is a Sherman Alexi wannabe, but he is a thousand times better writer. Well, maybe 500.
I'm suffering pronoun confusion about who is better--Curry or Alexie? I'm assuming you mean Alexie is better, but if Curry is that good, I'm definitely putting him on my list.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Sigh...

"Ketabcha" means "notebook" or "diary" in Farsi.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
"Ketabcha" means "notebook" or "diary" in Farsi.
Get OUT! I can't believe that I never asked you what your screen name meant. Or maybe I just assumed that it meant "sweetest lady who reads a heck of a lot."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books