Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 10:18 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm bailing on Adultery by "Paul Cola." I feel like I'm reading an episode of an afternoon talk show, like Oprah or Dr. Phil. Also, I don't abide cheating in a relationship. It was silly of me to even attempt to read a book with this title.

I don't know what my next book will be. Maybe I'll watch TV for a while.
Ha, that's what I did! Must be "wrong book" Sunday. Today I tried and discarded Driving With the Top Down by Beth Harbison (ridiculous, only got a few pages in), Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (yeah, too dark), and Rest Assured, a mystery by J.M. Gregson (not feeling it.) some days are like that. So yes, I watched Madam Secretary, The Good Wife, and The Paradise.

Sometimes you just have to do something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:39 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,442 times
Natchez Burning. Liking it so far.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Ha, that's what I did! Must be "wrong book" Sunday. Today I tried and discarded Driving With the Top Down by Beth Harbison (ridiculous, only got a few pages in), Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (yeah, too dark), and Rest Assured, a mystery by J.M. Gregson (not feeling it.) some days are like that. So yes, I watched Madam Secretary, The Good Wife, and The Paradise.

Sometimes you just have to do something else.
Oh! I liked Dark Places. I liked Sharp Objects too.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Finished Still Life by Louise Penny and it did what a mystery should do--kept me guessing til the end. I thought it was a little uneven in tone and pace. Still, I'll probably read more in the series.

Started The Word Exchange by Alena Graedon but I haven't read enough yet to have an opinion.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
I am now in the 3rd book in Ken Follets trilogy Century, Edge of Eternity. I enjoyed the first two and enjoying # 3.
I am surprised with some of the real people the liberty the author took with them. Actually I'm surprised the Kennedy family hasn't sued him...

Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Natchez Burning. Liking it so far.
I like Greg Iles and had forgotten all about him. I'll put this one on my list.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Going bump in the night

Annihilation / Jeff VanderMeer.

Summary: Area X has claimed the lives of members of eleven expeditions. The twelfth expedition consisting of four women hopes to map the terrain and collect specimens; to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another; and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.

The first of a trilogy, v. good. Atmospheric, reminds me of Poe/Lovecraft. Nice creepy feel, v. appropriate for Day of the Dead. The other two are also out, @ the library.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm not sure what to think of Yann Martel's "Beatrice and Virgil." I was hoping for a light-hearted jaunt of two talking animals through the desert -- as evoked by the cover, and they didn't even show up until I was nearly 20% through the book. Now, at 45% they are developing but not at all as I'd expected.

This is certainly the most odd story I've read.
Could have told you that. All the reviews I read that came out about that book were in the "whaaat?" category. People had higher hopes after the tiger book (having a senior moment here and can't remember the title.)

Old 11-03-2014, 01:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Could have told you that. All the reviews I read that came out about that book were in the "whaaat?" category. People had higher hopes after the tiger book (having a senior moment here and can't remember the title.)
Life of Pi, old lady! (I'm older than you are, so it's not an insult. And I love you, so it's definitely not an insult.)

Old 11-03-2014, 01:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,918 times
Dresden Files - book 9... awesome series, addictive though. I find myself having a tough time deciding between sleep and reading ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books