Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I agree -- Interpreter of Maladies was the best collection of short stories I've ever read.
Her other collection of stories, Unaccustomed Earth, was *almost* as good. Maybe *just as* good. And if I -- a *hater* of short stories -- am saying that, then it was *excellent.*

PS. Wow. I got pretty emphatic there with the asterisks. Ha! *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:37 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
I wish people would state the genre when discussing books. I could rule out 90% of the titles mentioned if I knew they were genres that don't interest me.

At least my posts make it clear I am reviewing urban fantasy novels. Don't like UF? You don't need to Google my titles.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:23 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I wish people would state the genre when discussing books. I could rule out 90% of the titles mentioned if I knew they were genres that don't interest me.

At least my posts make it clear I am reviewing urban fantasy novels. Don't like UF? You don't need to Google my titles.
You don't know what you're missing if you specialize in only one genre... I've been reading YA, love stories and fiction like Laurell K. Hamilton only before coming to this forum.
When books and authors are mentioned here I usually look them up on amazon and decide if it's interesting or not. At least it's worth a look.

I've read the first memoir ever a few months ago and it was terrific. There are so many great stories out there maybe you should give it a try in the future.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:51 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,312,269 times
Arrived in mail yesterday and started reading The Craftman's Handbook - Cennino d'Andrea Cennini if you are into paints/paintings you have to read this totally mesmerizing book written centuries ago about how the old masters made art.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:

Don't limit yourself. I usually have my goodreads account open while I am here. I just copy and paste to see if someone else's book looks good to me. When I first posted here I read very similar type books...now I read all kinds and I am so happy I do.

Here is my first post from this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I've been reading back through all of your posts and have taken some of your recommendations. It seems I like to read very different books than all of you but I am always willing to try something new. I tend to read about right over wrong, good over bad, and the good guys finally win books....and throw in some psychos and that's good for me. I also like some cheesy books once in awhile to get me away from the psychopaths I read about, lol. Susan Mallery is a fun girly writer for that.

Recently I have been hooked on Philip Margolin, Robert Crais, and currently Michael Connelly.

Right now I am trying something new. My head librarian has been bugging me to try it. I took it out once before but never read it. Now I am finally reading it. So far it is a little slow but it could interesting. The book is Basilisk by Rob Thurman. We'll see

I did also just finish The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeanette Walls. That was recommended to me by my stepdaughter. It was very good.

I have learned of so many incredible books from the people here. Look some of them up and if they look a little interesting give one a try. You can always stop if you hate it but just maybe you will love one

BTW, You might like the one from that post. Basilisk (The Korsak Brothers #2) by Rob Thurman

"Stefan Korsak and his genetically-altered brother have evaded the Institute for three years. When they learn the new location of the secret lab, they plan to break in and save the remaining children there. But one of the little ones doesn't want to leave. She wants to kill..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
You don't know what you're missing if you specialize in only one genre... I've been reading YA, love stories and fiction like Laurell K. Hamilton only before coming to this forum.
When books and authors are mentioned here I usually look them up on amazon and decide if it's interesting or not. At least it's worth a look.

I've read the first memoir ever a few months ago and it was terrific. There are so many great stories out there maybe you should give it a try in the future.

One of my books needs to go back to the library sooner than expected so I started it yesterday. It is The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz. It's a YA novel about a 14 year old girl in 1911. She is a farm girl who dreams of leaving one day and becoming a teacher. Because she is a sturdy girl, after her mother dies her father makes her quit school to work on the family farm. With crushed dreams she decides to run away to become a hired girl. She ends up in a Jewish home wile she is trying to become a better Catholic for her mother. Joan aka Janet is a wonderful character. She is funny, likable, and gets into mischief. I'm rooting for a good ending for her.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Arrived in mail yesterday and started reading The Craftman's Handbook - Cennino d'Andrea Cennini if you are into paints/paintings you have to read this totally mesmerizing book written centuries ago about how the old masters made art.
Now this sounds interesting.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:

However, , I find it useful when people include a link. There's genre fiction and then there's genre fiction and simply 'urban fantasy' isn't going to make me interested in a book. I usually include a link and I usually state, if I remember correctly, if a book is science fiction or some other genre, or non-fiction but a lot of books are not in a genre category. The last book I read wasn't in a genre category so I didn't see any reason to state that. I also didn't include a link because I was lazy, and because i felt I would fill in the details after I'd finished it. And it had been mentioned several times before on this forum.

I did like Charles de Lint in the genre category but he's above average, imo.

I think a lot of us regulars have come to know what the others are reading and so I think it doesn't always register (in me) whether they have put down a genre since I already know what knd of books they tend to read. And some authors, like James Patterson or Stephen King are well-known enough that one assumes people know the genre. I agree that we could all probably be clearer in what we are reading for lurkers and newcomers to the forum.

I read all over the place but the typical genre book is something that wouldn't normally appeal to me. Any genre book would appeal to me if it hits above its genre, which is why I find links useful.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
However, , I find it useful when people include a link. There's genre fiction and then there's genre fiction and simply 'urban fantasy' isn't going to make me interested in a book. I usually include a link and I usually state, if I remember correctly, if a book is science fiction or some other genre, or non-fiction but a lot of books are not in a genre category. The last book I read wasn't in a genre category so I didn't see any reason to state that. I also didn't include a link because I was lazy, and because i felt I would fill in the details after I'd finished it. And it had been mentioned several times before on this forum.

I did like Charles de Lint in the genre category but he's above average, imo.

I think a lot of us regulars have come to know what the others are reading and so I think it doesn't always register (in me) whether they have put down a genre since I already know what knd of books they tend to read. And some authors, like James Patterson or Stephen King are well-known enough that one assumes people know the genre. I agree that we could all probably be clearer in what we are reading for lurkers and newcomers to the forum.

I read all over the place but the typical genre book is something that wouldn't normally appeal to me. Any genre book would appeal to me if it hits above its genre, which is why I find links useful.
Do I know you?
And, yes, I still have The Sky Unwashed on my "to read" list. If my library here doesn't get it before I move, I'll get it from my library in Ottawa. They have it; I checked.

I always link, except when:

- it's the second (or third, etc.) time that I've mentioned the book. I only link on first mention. (That's my technical editor persona seeping through to real life. )
- the book is lousy and I didn't finish it. If I didn't like it enough to finish it, I'm clearly not recommending it. If you want to take the time to google it (even though I purposely didn't linky-dink it), that's fine. I just didn't want to waste my time or yours.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
Well I have a right to be interested in whatever genres I like, and if people posted genres then at least I would have some basis to consider their recommendation other than title and author.

Also as another member mentioned, a link to Goodreads or Amazon or other site with a description of the book would be useful.

As it is, this topic is not helping me very much, and I doubt my own posts are helping other members much either. Perhaps everybody will be better off if I just rely on my usual methods of finding books to add to my read list.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Twilight at Monticello, a rather dry account of the latter years of Jefferson's life. Wow did that guy have money management issues! I was out of other books... I'm glad I'm almost done.

I just finished a fantastic historical fiction Audio book. Salt of the Sea, I think it was. About WWII and the Russian sinking of the boat carrying all those civilians. Excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books