Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 09:48 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Novels have to make sense. True life does not.
Oh - I've read quite a few novels that make no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 10:58 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is definitely odd. I can understand the differing memories that she acknowledges, and even the Psychology Today article that someone posted above, but I don't know what to make of this -- it seems to be continuously capable of proving what she stated is incorrect. I agree with you that I don't know how to reconcile it, either.

I read Educated much earlier this year, and I can't recall of the details. I remember that it did continuously very much remind me of The Glass Castle, which I think I read about 10 years ago, so it's hard for me to remember everything from that one, too. I did like Educated, and I think I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads, and generally recommend it, but it's not one of those books that I finished and think OMG -- EVERYONE must read this! It was interesting, but I guess I didn't find it world-rocking. I found it interesting that unlike some others I have heard about, the parents didn't want them educated in the public schools or in college, but they didn't forbid it, either. I would have expected them to make it much harder for her to attend school of any kind.

So, while I liked it and found it a worthwhile read, I don't quite get all of the hype it received. It was good, but not one of the greatest books I ever read. (Not even in the Top 5 or probably even 10 of the books I read this last year.)

I'm eager to hear your final assessment of this when you finish. I've long been interested in WWII in general, and for a while years ago, read many books about WWII and that time period in general. I'd like to read a bio of Hitler (and I might even own one of them that I never got to -- I'll have to check), but as you note, there are several. I read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich about 16 years ago, and it took me a long time to get through it (although at that time, I had very little time to read). I've got a book in my amazon cart that someone here recommended called Travelers in the Third Reich, which deals with why the people were taken in by Hitler, rather than what made Hitler himself so capable of entrancing so many people. He is, no doubt, one of the most fascinating people of the 20th Century, since he affected so many horrible events.

Absolutely one of the most fascinating people ever....first day I read 130 pages....just an informative but easy read, so much info about him than other books. I'm even taking notes.

Read Rise and Fall too...it does take awhile to get through but it's a must read for WWII and Hitler.

Have a book coming
Valkyrie

about the attempt on Hitler's life by some in his party....sorry it was not successful.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 12-28-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 11:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Oh - I've read quite a few novels that make no sense.
Ah, so true to life then.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
I gave up on "The Name of the Wind" when the back story moved into proselytizing for a Christ-like character. I'm close to giving up on "Messing with the Enemy" just because it makes me so anxious about what it portends.

However did the library gods know that I needed something to slip into? They auto-delivered my ebook of the first of Peter Ellis's Chronicles of Brother Cadfael: #1: "A Morbid Taste for Bones."

Old 12-28-2018, 08:27 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,094 times
Trying to read Ark of Empire: The American Frontier: 1784-1803 by Dale Van Every. Not making much progress with this historical non-fiction which I'm reading for research purposes. Not fond of the author's style as it comes across as trying to impress. I also find his lack of punctuation annoying, and many sentences have to be reread as they don't make sense (even after rereading ).

Old 12-29-2018, 02:38 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
As a Christmas present, I was given "I Ran With The Gang", the autobiography of late Bay City Roller Alan Longmuir. I'm almost finished with it...it ranges from laugh out loud anecdotes of the crazy antics of the five young Scots (such as the hotel room "farting contests", and what Leslie did to get expelled from school at 15) to tearjerker (the sudden death of Alan and Derek's mother in 1974 right before the start of "Rollermania", and Alan's subsequent problems with drink, bankruptcy and homelessness). Made me fall in love with Alan, "The Edinburgh plumber who got lucky", like it was 1975 all over again.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:39 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,783,960 times
The German Midwife.

A fictional story about a young midwife recruited to be the private midwife to Eva Braun, mistress of Hitler. Its obviously fictional, but intriguing. Its also very unrealistic in my opinion.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:09 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
The German Midwife.

A fictional story about a young midwife recruited to be the private midwife to Eva Braun, mistress of Hitler. Its obviously fictional, but intriguing. Its also very unrealistic in my opinion.

I'm not sure if you picked that book for the Hitler/German theme or the midwife theme. If it was the midwife here is book that I thought was very good:
Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

I finished Trail of Broken Wings which I thought was very good. It's about a family who comes to America from India for a new life. Once here the father turns into an abusive father and husband. 30 years later he is in a coma and the sisters and mother have come together. None of them made it through the abusive times ok. It is about them facing it all, hitting bottom and then rebuilding "together".

I finally started Ready Player One last night. It caught me from the fist page so that is a good thing I think there is also a free preview of it this weekend on HBO.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

I finally started Ready Player One last night. It caught me from the fist page so that is a good thing I think there is also a free preview of it this weekend on HBO.
That is such a great novel -- it is a very satisfying read. As per usual, I watched the movie and was extremely disappointed. Lots was left out, some things were changed, and I seriously questioned whether much of the movie would even make sense to someone who had not read the book. Whatever you do, don't watch the movie before you finish the book. And if you decide to watch, keep your expectations low.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I gave up on "The Name of the Wind" when the back story moved into proselytizing for a Christ-like character. I'm close to giving up on "Messing with the Enemy" just because it makes me so anxious about what it portends.
It is dismaying in the sense that it does appear that we are totally unequipped to fight this problem. But, I do think it's important to have the knowledge. I think the only way we can really even begin to fight back is to have as much of the populace as possible aware of what goes on and to question everything they see online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books