Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times

Advertisements

Many years back, I read Follow the River by Mary Ingalls, and lent my copy to someone, and subsequently never got it back. This author is NOT related to Laura Ingalls Wilder, but was a West Virginian woman kidnapped by Indians and carried to the Midwest. She made it home several years later by following the Ohio River, hence the name of the book. Anyone familiar with this work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:46 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times
I checked Amazon and there was nothing by Mary Ingalls.. There were several books with that title, but not by her. Seems everything was "Little House" Books by Laura...

Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 AM

WV and Appalachian Videos:* WV Library Commission Here's a start...

Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 AM

OK I found it !!!!!!!!!!
Follow the River by James Alexander Thom
Is available at Amazon for $7.99
Just go to Amazon and you should find it by searching for Books and then just type in the title or author

Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,203 times
Or... maybe....

go to a bookstore, where you can get it for $7.99, not have to pay shipping and have it in your hands today!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 AM

Figured I'd hear from you on this!! You know I'm for mom&pop, too.. There are a few inde book stores in this area... I called both of them... The price for this book was $10.95 plus tax (8%), plus 25 mile drive, each way, and they will order it and it should be in before Christmas...If we want to compete with the 'big guys' we have to match them on price and service...
PS I think I might also be a Co. native.. I was born there.. does that count !!

Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Figured I'd hear from you on this!!
What can I say... I'm an advocate..
Quote:
You know I'm for mom&pop, too..
That's not so obvious...
Quote:
The price for this book was $10.95 plus tax (8%),
I think not, grasshoppah. Publisher's list price is $7.95. Nobody charges more than that.
Quote:
and they will order it and it should be in before Christmas...
C'mon... Pretty much all bookstores, excluding used stores, get stock from their distributors in 2-5 days unless it's a strange or hard-to-find title. This one is not.
Quote:
If we want to compete with the 'big guys' we have to match them on price and service...
Obviously so. It's nice to give the little guys a chance to do so, rather than slandering them with false accusations Besides, this book at Amazon, with shipping charges comes to $11.98.
Quote:
PS I think I might also be a Co. native.. I was born there.. does that count !! [
Not sure... I know you can be elected President of Colorado, though...

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM

Well, all I can say is that's the price they gave me. I'm not slandering anyone!
You left out the quote on the mileage to and from the store. That adds to the price considerably.
Have you ever heard the one about' catching more flies with honey than with vinegar'???
Hope you are nicer to your customers...

Old 11-28-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You left out the quote on the mileage to and from the store. That adds to the price considerably.
I bet you were goin to town anyway.

Quote:
Have you ever heard the one about' catching more flies with honey than with vinegar'???
Hope you are nicer to your customers...
I have heard that, and of course I am. I get a little tired of folks saying that they are all for the mom and pops and then advocate strongly for the exact opposite.
One of the choices we make when we buy is whether or not the gift of our business goes to someone we know and care about. If you’ve chosen a chain or the internet, you’ve chosen to give a gift to someone who needs it less than someone closer to you. This choice takes money from your pocket and sends it, well, somewhere else. You don’t know where it goes. That cash goes to support another community in another town and you never see it again. If you make another choice, the choice to buy from a local business owned by local folks, your money stays here and gets passed around from business to business, local yokel to local yokel.
For me, though, it comes down to this: if you drive past a local business to buy your sprocket-sized whatsa-widget from a chain store, you’re killing your town. It’s even worse if you buy off the Internet. Some would say this is extreme, but I don’t think so. A tree will die if enough slivers are removed from its trunk.

By the way, you weren't even the one looking for this book...

Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Everything you say is true. The way I feel is that's the way things are now...so instead of lamenting the past, when things were better, I try to find new ways of dealing with the current situation ...trying to come up with new way to remain competitive and keep going. There is not the same loyality to local stores and businesses that there once was..the bottom line now is $$$$.
Sad but true.
No, I was not the person looking for this book. They asked for help finding it. Which is why I tried to help. OP have helped me, I thought that's what the whole idea of CD was???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books