Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,408 times

Advertisements

Do you still remember it? what a book! what an author! so have any of you read it? and how would you compare it to the tv series? i know i am digging up old history here, i guess i am getting carried away, when the book came out and then the series was way too young. anyhow i think this is one of those books that will be good for all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 04:50 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Hey!
I read the thorn birds some years back because everybody told me what a great book it was. I didn't like it very much but finished it nevertheless. It's just not my taste of book.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:04 AM

i want to quote a passage from the book that makes me think - Dear Ralph, I do see it. I know, I know... each of us has something within us which wont be denied, even if it makes us scream aloud to die. We are what we are, thats all. Like the old Celtic legend of the bird with the thorn in its breast, singing its heart out and dying. Because it has to, its driven to. We can know what we do wrong even before we do it, but self-knowledge cant affect or change the outcome, can it? Everyone singing his own little song, convinced its the most wonderful song the world has ever heard. Dont you see? we create our thorns, and never stop to count the cost. All we can do is suffer, and tell ourselves it was worth it .

Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 AM

The thing is with thorn birds it doesnt really have a great story line. i didnt enjoy till i was more than half way through the book then it started to hit me, it all came home. there is alot of reflecting and deep wisdom in the book and it all comes out beautifully towards the end. the writing is amazing. it all really takes a bit of time to come out.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Tim, The Thornbirds is one of my all time favorites. I can't tell you how many times I have read it, and you quoted a passage that has stayed in my mind..Once in a while on a cold winter day when I am alone I pull out the movie and settle down and watch..

Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 PM

so blue please tell me is the film as good as the book? i was bit young when it came out, so i would love to hear your views - how does it compare?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Tim, usually I don't care as much for the movies from my favorite books..Seems like most of the movies change too much and leave out important parts, imo. The Thornbirds was almost exactly like the book. The characters came to life well and the plot stays the same. The cast portrayed the characters in the book amazingly well

Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 AM

690 posts, read 2,630,274 times
I adore the book. It's one of my all time favorites and I've read it about 10 times!

I enjoyed the movie, but love the book more - but, to be fair, I always enjoy the book more, regardless! I agree with Blue that the characters came to life well. I loved Richard Chamberlain as Father Ralph - excellent casting. I guess I just feel the book is....richer than the movie. There's more storytelling, and deeper plots, but with time constraints with movies you just can't ever really do a book justice, IMO.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:04 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
I did not read the THORN BIRD but I have read another book by her that I really enjoyed. It was set in Australia also and followed the lives of some of the early Aussie settlers that were convicted of various crimes in England and sent to Australia. It was a very good story and I will read more of her works.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:56 PM

352 posts, read 796,995 times
The Thornbirds is one of the few books I've read more than once. I really loved this story and the series was well done too. The portrayal of Father Ralph by Richard Chamberlain was the best acting he has ever done. I've read a few other books by this writer.."Tim" was very good and was also made into a movie starring Mel Gibson as Tim. He was very young in this...many years before his "meltdown".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books