Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times

Advertisements

I guess I am different.
I love to read, but never anything twice. Therefore, I don't feel the need to own books, just read them....once.
Sooooooo the library is my bff. I love libraries. Any libraries. Once I read a book, its a great feeling to return it to the library, never to be seen in my house again !!! Now, if you asked me about clothes, well.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I love this little "club" we have here! We sooo need T-shirts and hats!! (or T-shirts and coffee mugs?)

Clothes are cool too but I don't buy them often enough. I'd love to go on a huge clothes shopping spree though.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Now, if you asked me about clothes, well.....
If I have to choose between buying new clothes or buying books (new or used or ebook versions), I will choose the books 99% of the time! I actually feel sorry for people who never discovered the pleasures of reading!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
When I think of a perfect family evening I recall my childhood with the four of us discussing everything under the sun at the dinner table, watching a bit of TV and settling into the living room with each of us reading. We would go as a family to the base library where all four of us would check out the maximum number of books allowed, four, and riding home with great expectations. We did that every 2 weeks for years. I can't think of a more perfect childhood and it has carried on into adulthood for both my sister and me.

Yes, I am addicted to books and I never want to be cured. I tend to have an addictive personality and books are my addiction of choice. Don't sign me up for a 12 step program. I want to live in this addiction forever and a day.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
When I think of a perfect family evening I recall my childhood with the four of us discussing everything under the sun at the dinner table, watching a bit of TV and settling into the living room with each of us reading. We would go as a family to the base library where all four of us would check out the maximum number of books allowed, four, and riding home with great expectations. We did that every 2 weeks for years. I can't think of a more perfect childhood and it has carried on into adulthood for both my sister and me.

Yes, I am addicted to books and I never want to be cured. I tend to have an addictive personality and books are my addiction of choice. Don't sign me up for a 12 step program. I want to live in this addiction forever and a day.

That just sounds so lovely . So peaceful.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Oh how I wish I had started something like this with my kids. One of my kids will be a voracious reader, I'm sure, (she's only in kindergarten right now), one will be a reader and the other will be like Dad and read some books but only those that really, really grab him. But I am happy to say that before hubs and I got together, he had read one book for enjoyment since he was a kid, but now he has read many, many!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:29 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Your saying that you find books soothing reminds me of the movie Conspiracy Theory where the character periodically gets a compulsion to buy another copy of Catcher In the Rye.

Well, of all possibly addictions, I think books would be one of the best. But do you re-read? If you don't re-read, then I don't know the point of keeping them. And I hope that sometimes you buy books in bookstores, which you don't mention, because that's why they're all dying off.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Your saying that you find books soothing reminds me of the movie Conspiracy Theory where the character periodically gets a compulsion to buy another copy of Catcher In the Rye.

Well, of all possibly addictions, I think books would be one of the best. But do you re-read? If you don't re-read, then I don't know the point of keeping them. And I hope that sometimes you buy books in bookstores, which you don't mention, because that's why they're all dying off.
I do re-read some and the ones I do not plan to re-read I pass on to family, friends or charity. I see no point in surrounding myself in books I have no intention of reading or reading again. Yes, I do occasionally frequent book stores. Unfortunately, my options are extremely limited aside from Barnes and Noble. There are authors whose books I am more than willing to buy brand new so I can get it as soon as possible.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I do re-read some and the ones I do not plan to re-read I pass on to family, friends or charity. I see no point in surrounding myself in books I have no intention of reading or reading again. Yes, I do occasionally frequent book stores. Unfortunately, my options are extremely limited aside from Barnes and Noble. There are authors whose books I am more than willing to buy brand new so I can get it as soon as possible.
Do you have a Goodwill Store close by? I donate the books I don't keep or give away to Goodwill. Lots of folks in this forum have mentioned finding good deals on good books at Goodwill. Also, before I got Boris the Kindle I would order books I wanted that were for sale by Goodwill via amazon. They always shipped quickly and I know they appreciated the business.

When I was doing my field work in college (social work) I did mine at The Am. Red Cross. The others who were doing field work were stationed at various places and I drove the car with all of us in it and I would drop them off at their destinations. On the way back to campus ( a 45 minute drive on the highway) we would discuss what we had done that day and the girl who was stationed at Goodwill always had a lot to say and I was blown away by what a good organization it is. That's why they get my books and my amazon business.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

That's one of my big fears, actually. I buy 99% of my books in bookstores. I hesitate to say it is because I am supporting bookstores out of a moral high ground since I don't have a Kindle and therefore can't say what I would prefer, not having anything to compare it to but I see a number of problems with electronic books, one of which is that writers no longer have to work at their craft, do the whole rejection thing (builds character, imo), and then eventually, have a book in print by a reputable publisher. Of course that may change over time.

But then the other part of my brain says people were probably having similar complaints when the printing press was invented and everyone could have books instead of the educated and richer elite.

I can certainly see the advantage to a Kindle for people who have difficulty reading the small print in books, and for people who travel as my luggage was always heavy with books but my travelling has been considerably reduced in recent years. But I think I would get a Kindle if that changes. But I really, really like browsing in bookstores. Browsing on Amazon just isn't the same for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books