Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which book(s) shall we read?
Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky 3 11.11%
Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver 4 14.81%
Five Quarters of the Orange - Joanne Harris 4 14.81%
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee 7 25.93%
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 5 18.52%
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 4 14.81%
The Power Of One - Bryce Courtenay 1 3.70%
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell 1 3.70%
Cider House Rules - John Irving 5 18.52%
Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen 8 29.63%
The Stone Diaries - Carol Shields 2 7.41%
The Once and Future King - T. H. White 0 0%
Watership Down - Richard Adams 2 7.41%
Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins 1 3.70%
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha - Roddy Doyle 0 0%
The Plot Against America - Philip Roth 2 7.41%
Fall on your Knees - Anne Marie MacDonald 2 7.41%
The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls 3 11.11%
Amsterdam - Ian McEwan 0 0%
Poisonwood Bible- Barbara Kingsolver 6 22.22%
The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards 4 14.81%
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving 3 11.11%
Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini 9 33.33%
Boom - Voices of the 60s - Tom Brokaw 9 33.33%
The War at Home - Nora Eisenberg 5 18.52%
Kaffir Boy - Mark Mathabane 2 7.41%
Box Children - Sharon Wyse 3 11.11%
The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War - David Halberstam 1 3.70%
The Innocent - Ian McEwan 6 22.22%
Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill. 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:30 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times

Advertisements

Great suggestions, all. Now, get thee to the poll (see stuck above) and vote away for one or several of the 30 in this first round where all of the books up until yesterday were gathered. The poll is multiple choice!

If we are all lucky, and I do think sometimes luck counts, we'll have other rounds to add other books, and have other ways to vote.

Happy New Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I have not read Cider House Rules yet, myself, and would enjoy delving into it. Thanks for your list, Cil.

Also, I am a huge James Michener fan and read Poland many years ago (as well as, The Covenant, Alaska, Centennial, et al). It is a wonderful chronicle of Poland's history - written , of course, in historical novel form typical of Michener. Much to ponder in this book.

Night by Elie Wiesel is a book that I read a couple of years ago, but never found anyone else who had read it. I would have loved to have discussed it with others at that time. I look forward to rereading it and have others' impressions of the impact this account presents.

Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth is a book that I just bought for my husband and is the first of a series of two that I am aware of. Hubby is almost finished with it and is enjoying it tremendously. I know just where to find him - in his reading chair with a "Do not disturb" sign, that I am almost certain is imprinted on his forehead, glowing at me!

But, I am ready for any good book - any genre. Perhaps the organizers would want to narrow the list down initially to 3 choices and we can all vote among those 3. It would simplify and shorten the process. JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Okay, I voted. I will say that I have not heard of some of these & voted for one that I thought sounded intriguing by the title : "The Heart -Shaped Box" .
nancy, it's written by Stephen Kings son. I've heard its really good.

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Stoker-winner Hill features a particularly merciless ghost in his powerful first novel. Middle-aged rock star Judas Coyne collects morbid curios for fun, so doesn't think twice about buying a suit advertised at an online auction site as haunted by its dead owner's ghost. Only after it arrives does Judas discover that the suit belonged to Craddock McDermott, the stepfather of one of Coyne's discarded groupies, and that the old man's ghost is a malignant spirit determined to kill Judas in revenge for his stepdaughter's suicide. Judas isn't quite the cad or Craddock the avenging angel this scenario makes them at first, but their true motivations reveal themselves only gradually in a fast-paced plot that crackles with expertly planted surprises and revelations. Hill (20th Century Ghosts) gives his characters believably complex emotional lives that help to anchor the supernatural in psychological reality and prove that (as one character observes) "horror was rooted in sympathy." His subtle and skillful treatment of horrors that could easily have exploded over the top and out of control helps make this a truly memorable debut. (Feb.)

Old 12-31-2007, 05:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Default Late to the Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Great suggestions, all. Now, get thee to the poll (see stuck above) and vote away for one or several of the 30 in this first round where all of the books up until yesterday were gathered. The poll is multiple choice!

If we are all lucky, and I do think sometimes luck counts, we'll have other rounds to add other books, and have other ways to vote.

Happy New Year.
Oh dear. Did not see this til just now. Is admission to the book club closed?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:56 PM

You can still join us, and vote in the poll (sticky above).

I suspect we'll have a changing membership.

Happy New Year, anifani821.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh dear. Did not see this til just now. Is admission to the book club closed?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Default I voted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
You can still join us, and vote in the poll (sticky above).

I suspect we'll have a changing membership.

Happy New Year, anifani821.
Thank you so much - I really look forward to particpating!

Wishing you a Happy New Year . . . and a wonderful 2008 ahead!

Last edited by brokensky; 12-31-2007 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: omission

Old 12-31-2007, 06:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
I agree, despite the subject matter, the give and take online should be interesting, perhaps even enlightening!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:22 PM

If any extra ideas needed:

Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

Old 12-31-2007, 07:07 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Smile Cannot wait to see which book is chosen as the first read!!

I have been so busy over the last two weeks with visiting family that I never explored further than this initial thread on the Book Club Forum.

I am so happy that so many of you have taken the time and thought to come up with so many great books to read. I am so looking forward to this forum.

With so many insightful books already on the list of choices I am sure that we are going to have some fascinating discussions.

It is always so amazing to me that a small group of people can read or see the same material, but have so many interesting takes on it. We will have the opportunity to expand our own personal interests, ideas and even some biases through this interaction of readers.

This will be a wonderful group of folks, I think.

May all of you have a wonderful new year and happy voting.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:25 PM

All our threads are merged together, now, with the exception of our new poll.

I think this will keep us together and not have members wander off to the movie forum.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:01 PM

I am definitely known to wander off! Have been doing it all my life and get scolded constantly by family and friends to "stay together".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books