Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:32 AM

352 posts, read 796,612 times

Advertisements

I remember always having my nose in a book..still do actually. Some of the books I remember as favorites are....
~ "Heidi" by Johanna Spyri
~ "Anne of Green Gables" by L.M. Montgomery
~ " Strawberry Girl" by Lois Lenski
~ "The Magic Garden" by Gene Stratton-Porter

Also, loved the "Trixie Belden" books, "Little Women", "Little Men", and the list goes on...it occurs to me that the books that today's children are reading are so much more advanced in subject matter (to say the very LEAST!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 02:41 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,703 times
Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates

Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
Blubber & Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great & Deanie by Judy Blume

Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Oh, but these titles bring back such memories.

Books, as a child, were so incredibly real to me -- gave me a real sense that anything was truly possible. Among some of my favorites were just collections of fairytales, and folktales, and myths and legends. Those things were real -- still are.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,439 times
Misty of Chincoteague

Old 12-27-2007, 09:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I loved books about animals--the Albert Payson Terhune books mentioned above, Where the Red Fern Grows, Old Yeller, The Yearling, The Black Stallion, White Fang, The Call of the Wild. There was a series of books by Jim Kjelgaard (Sp?) which involved lots of outdoor adventures that I read over and over. Also loved the Little Women series and The Secret Garden. And Half Magic. When I was pretty young my mother gave me a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird and just told me it was a story about some kids. The race and sex issues were over my head, but I loved reading about Scout and Jem and Boo Radley. I read it many times and as I got older the other issues came to the forefront.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:28 PM

321 posts, read 853,550 times
I liked to read the 'Narnia' series but also 'The Silver Brumby' series by Elyne Mitchell. Albert Payson Terhune's wonderful books, and of course the 'Little House' series. In England, books by Enid Blyton were popular and the Pullein-Thompson sisters. I know I read Black Beauty a hundred times because I just loved the story.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:23 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
I was OBSESSED with RL Stine! I've read every single Fear St. book and Goosebump book that came out in the 90's (I think they are still being produced now, but I stopped reading them). of course now I'm a huge Stephen King fan (a natural progression it seems).

also loved "Harriet the Spy", that "Chocolate War" book (exact name escapes me), "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "Bunnicula", "The Adventures of Tin Tin" (got most of those books from my older brother), and "The Hobbit"

Old 12-29-2007, 03:45 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I loved books about animals--the Albert Payson Terhune books mentioned above, Where the Red Fern Grows, Old Yeller, The Yearling, The Black Stallion, White Fang, The Call of the Wild. There was a series of books by Jim Kjelgaard (Sp?) which involved lots of outdoor adventures that I read over and over. Also loved the Little Women series and The Secret Garden. And Half Magic. When I was pretty young my mother gave me a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird and just told me it was a story about some kids. The race and sex issues were over my head, but I loved reading about Scout and Jem and Boo Radley. I read it many times and as I got older the other issues came to the forefront.
Didn't Kjelgaard write Big Red? Another great dog book.

When I think about it, except for Nancy Drew butting in from time to time, all my favorite childhood books had to do with horses or dogs.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:30 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,272 times
Funny, I just started taking out some of my favorite children's books from the library...

Favorites include:
-Anything Madeleine L'Engle
-The Giver
-American Girl books (im in my early 20s...)
-Boxcar Children...although I always felt bad for them living on their own
-There is a book by the author of Island of the blue Dolphin (is that what its called? By Scott O'Dell??? Maybe??) called Walk Two Moons (I think) but it was a native american story that really fascinated me, as did many books in the Native American genre
-Ramona books
-Judy Blume books- I was really obsessed with Starring Sally J Freedman as herself
-Anastasia books
-Mrs. Frisby and the rats of Nimh

the list goes on and on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books