Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:13 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Because if they go much longer I start to get bored and want to move on. It's like after so long the rest just seems like "filler" for page count,or something.

On the other hand I seldom even bother with a book less than at least 224[288 is even better] pages,and less than that should not even be called a "book",but a booklet,or short story! Anything less doesn't have enough character or story development.I used to enjoy books of short stories. I believe the last one was by Alfred Hitchcock. I enjoy romances[historical,regency,western contemporary] and many of those are 224-288 pages.

I also love thrillers of any kind and actually since they average longer,I should have said 288-450 pgs!

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Angels & Demons: A Novel (Robert Langdon) by Dan Brown

The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus by Richard Preston

The Demon in the Freezer: A True Story by Richard Preston

Coma by Robin Cook

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with me/us. I haven't read Angels and Demons but I did enjoy the movie. (Being legally blind restricts my reading to large print books or e-books I can super-size the font of.)

I like anthologies too. Farley Mowat is a favorite of mine, as he writes about the Canadian North, and there's a book (might not still be in print) called The People of the North that I've read too many times to remember.

I also like Dr. Seuss, and in particular, Oh the Places You'll Go!

Most of us don't grown up so much....

Blessings to you,

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
G'morning!

Personally, if I like the story, the longer the story the better. I could have done without Moby Dick, but I feel a little cheated when I'm shelling out $30 and the book is only 400 pages long. You?

Mahrie.
LoL...who buys books?

The library charges the same amount regardless of the length of the book.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
LoL...who buys books?

Good point, but many of us still buy books. (I'd be out of business if they didn't! ) Whether we purchase e-books or hardback varieties, there's nothing quite as delicious as carefully prying open the cover and peeking inside at the world there, wondering where it will take you, and what the journey will mean.

I don't like dusty, second-hand books, they're loaded with germs, mold, and other unfriendlies. Nope, I like to bring my 'treasure' home and devour it there, snuggled up with my favorite cushion and a mocha latte.

Mahrie.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:10 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
I like anthologies too. Farley Mowat is a favorite of mine, as he writes about the Canadian North, and there's a book (might not still be in print) called The People of the North that I've read too many times to remember.Mahrie.
I'm not familiar with Farley Mowat so had to look up. Now I'm wondering if he inspired the Gears' titles in their First North American series of books.

I read a wide variety of books. Books that are 200 pages or less I consider to be small snacks, easily consumed within a day (two at most!) and not as satisfying as a full course meal I prefer the big, thick, juicy books - especially when there are more books of the author to enjoy. While many have heard of Clavell's Shogun especially due to the movie, how many would know that there's Tai Pan or King Rat?

Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 PM

14 posts, read 16,877 times
I love long books, I am always looking for a minimum of 500 pages. If you like long books and fantasy 2 great series I recommend are Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and A Song of Fire and Ice (think Game of Thrones on HBO) by George R. R. Martin. Both of these will keep you reading for months if not a year. By the way, I read both of these series long before they became tv serials. I am currently reading Dance with Dragons weighing in (literally) at 959 pages not counting appendices and preview of Winds of Winter.This is Martin"s 5th book in the series which is followed by the 6th book, Winds of Winter.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:36 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Depends on the genre. I really enjoy huge meaty books if they are full of drama and interesting characters (example: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett), but for a rainy afternoon, give me a good mystery thriller of any length.

However, length is definitely no indicator of quality or potential enjoyment! My favorite book of all time is still To Kill A Mockingbird, which has less than 400 pages.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:25 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I don't like short stories in general. That being said, I like books that develop the topic or plot but are not super long.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:48 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
I read "Wild Swans" that was 800 pages, but while it was a long book it kept my interest because it was on China. Personally, I don't like over 400 pages and find myself looking at how many hours are left in the book, which is how kindle often does page numbers. There are few books that I would love to be longer, "Kon Tiki" could have gone on forever, maybe. I have never liked short stories.

Mahrie, Kurt Vonnegut is a strange bird as a writer. I remember reading one of his books about two guys that were idiots when not together and gneisses when they were. "Slapstick" was the name of that novel. It was a fun novel.

I would consider him somewhat a scifi writer.http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/bo...anted=all&_r=0

Old 04-29-2015, 10:11 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
LoL...who buys books?

I buy books, mostly because I want my favorite authors to keep writing and not have to get a 9-5 job so they can eat.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 AM

12,221 posts, read 2,964,782 times
If it's a really engaging book, long is alright. How many times have you wished a good book wasn't ending? For me plenty of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books