Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose top KY metro area choices
Louisville 14 31.11%
Lexington 14 31.11%
Northern KY 13 28.89%
Elizabethtown 2 4.44%
Bowling Green 6 13.33%
Owensboro 2 4.44%
Hopkinsville-Ft. Campbell 1 2.22%
These cities aren't large enough for me--something larger than Cincy, please! 2 4.44%
Cities? Yuck. Give me a place with fewer than...any people! 5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:20 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times

Advertisements

Poll is posted. Please choose up to your 3 metro choices.

According to the Census Bureau, the top seven MSAs in the state according to population (within Kentucky state lines) are:
1. Louisville. No brainer here.
2. Lexington
3. Northern Kentucky. Watch out Lexington, at the rate NKY is growing the Boone-Kenton-Campbell-Grant Cos. region will take over soon. (Part of the larger Cincinnati, OH MSA, of course.)
4. Elizabethtown. Yes, it really IS an MSA now.
5. Bowling Green. Just overtook Owensboro.
6. Owensboro
7. Hopkinsville-Ft. Campbell (part of the larger Clarksville, TN MSA)

My list, from most to least preferred, is:
1. Northern Kentucky: lived there before. Enjoyed the people I met. They seemed very friendly and quick to assist me in appreciating their area and its amenities. The people have southern hospitality fused with northern efficiency. The cost of living is cheap there, too, and it's in the shadow of Cincy. Beautiful, historic, safe areas that overlook Cincy on a bluff; gorgeous views! The only place in KY I'd gladly volunteer to live.

BIG DROP OFF
2. Louisville
3. Elizabethtown

BIG DROP OFF
4. Lexington
5. Bowling Green
6. Owensboro
7. Hopkinsville

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-27-2008 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:42 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Poll is posted.

According to the Census Bureau, the top seven MSAs in the state according to population (within Kentucky state lines) are:
1. Louisville. No brainer here.
2. Lexington
3. Northern Kentucky. Watch out Lexington, at the rate NKY is growing the Boone-Kenton-Campbell-Grant Cos. region will take over soon. (Part of the larger Cincinnati, OH MSA, of course.)
4. Elizabethtown. Yes, it really IS an MSA now.
5. Bowling Green. Just overtook Owensboro.
6. Owensboro
7. Hopkinsville-Ft. Campbell (part of the larger Clarksville, TN MSA)

My list, from most to least preferred, is:
1. Northern Kentucky: lived there before. Enjoyed the people I met. They seemed very friendly and quick to assist me in appreciating their area and its amenities. The people have southern hospitality fused with northern efficiency. The cost of living is cheap there, too, and it's in the shadow of Cincy. Beautiful, historic, safe areas that overlook Cincy on a bluff; gorgeous views! The only place in KY I'd gladly volunteer to live.

BIG DROP OFF
2. Louisville
3. Elizabethtown

BIG DROP OFF
4. Lexington
5. Bowling Green
6. Owensboro
7. Hopkinsville

The population of Elizabethtown is not greater than or even near the population of Bowlilng Green or Owensboro.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Default E'town

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The population of Elizabethtown is not greater than or even near the population of Bowlilng Green or Owensboro.
AHHHHH...glad you should bring that up. You're right, E'town proper is much smaller than BG and OWB. However, Hardin County has 97,000 residents, more than Warren and Daviess Counties, respectively. While E'town is the anchor town and county seat in Hardin Co., Radcliff and Vine Grove are also substantial-sized towns. The U.S. Census Bureau has already classified this as a metro area and it *technically* is the fourth-largest metro in Kentucky.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:46 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
My favorite too metros in the state are Louisville and Bowling Green. Both offer a diverse environment, lots of amenities, and are progressive areas.

E-Town? I didn't know its metro was bigger than Bowling Green's. It has too much sprawl and doesn't have some of the amenities that Bowling Green and Louisville offer.

I'm not a real big fan of Northern KY. Its basically a suburb of Cincy...I'm not big on suburbs.

I really dislike Lexington. For its size its a huge let down for me. There's nothing urban about it. It's layout is sprawling and spread out.

Disclaimer: These are my views, others probably like those areas for the reasons I oppose.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
AHHHHH...glad you should bring that up. You're right, E'town proper is much smaller than BG and OWB. However, Hardin County has 97,000 residents, more than Warren and Daviess Counties, respectively. While E'town is the anchor town and county seat in Hardin Co., Radcliff and Vine Grove are also substantial-sized towns. The U.S. Census Bureau has already classified this as a metro area and it *technically* is the fourth-largest metro in Kentucky.

Actually Warren County has a population of 101,000 according to the census bureau.

So it should be Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, E-Town, Owensboro.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
My favorite too metros in the state are Louisville and Bowling Green. Both offer a diverse environment, lots of amenities, and are progressive areas.

Louisville has nice historic and cultural amenities, but some long-time fellow posters know about my experiences with select L'ville folks. Great city but one that left a bad taste in my mouth, and it's a shame really.

Bowling Green does nothing for me at all. Too boring, dreary, depressing, and it would be dead if not for WKU. (I know you're from there, so no offense.)

E-Town? I didn't know its metro was bigger than Bowling Green's. It has too much sprawl and doesn't have some of the amenities that Bowling Green and Louisville offer.

E'town has a lot of sprawl for a town of 22,000, but it is kind of a regional commercial and industrial hub for people that live just south of Louisville but don't want to travel to Louisville.

I'm not a real big fan of Northern KY. Its basically a suburb of Cincy...I'm not big on suburbs.

NKY isn't just all suburbs. There are a lot of unique, historic neighborhoods in Covington, Newport, Ludlow, and Bellevue that overlook the Cincy skyline.

I really dislike Lexington. For its size its a huge let down for me. There's nothing urban about it. It's layout is sprawling and spread out.

You're right. Why does a city of 275,000 residents have to shut down at 10pm even on weekends (w/ the exception of A1A)? I really dislike it too for that reason; plus, the city is the "$30,000 snooty millionaires with massive chips on their shoulders" capital of our state.

Disclaimer: These are my views, others probably like those areas for the reasons I oppose.
My answers are above in bold (I'm just typing this to meet the 20-character outside-of-quote requirement.)

Old 03-27-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Actually Warren County has a population of 101,000 according to the census bureau.

So it should be Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, E-Town, Owensboro.
Okay, so Census upped the anty to 101,000 this year for Warren. Wow, I didn't realize how fast it's growing.

Well, anyway, my list was as it was in early 2007, not early 2008. So, on that note, thanks for the correction!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
Having spent most of my adult life in huge cities, Chicago, LA, Rome, Mexico City, Tokyo ... I'll take the remoteness of the country. Nearly all big city amenities (shopping) is just a click away.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Okay, so Census upped the anty to 101,000 this year for Warren. Wow, I didn't realize how fast it's growing.

Well, anyway, my list was as it was in early 2007, not early 2008. So, on that note, thanks for the correction!

No prob...wasn't trying to undercut you. I was just curious because I had always thought Owensboro and Bowling Green were bigger. Turns out though that you were right about Owensboro...I didn't know E-Town was growing that fast.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
My answers are above in bold (I'm just typing this to meet the 20-character outside-of-quote requirement.)

I agree with you about Bowling Green. It's not even in the same league as Louisville. But on a list of boring, dreary places...I'd rank Bowling Green behind Louisville.

There's been an urban renewal push taking place and there are a lot more bars and restaurants relocating back into Bowling Green's downtown.

I personally don't think KY has any great cities. That's just my two cents though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky