Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the lovely compliment. I hope I made it fun, they pick up a book every now and then, and learned to think.

Let's see. . . I recall when the Clan of the Cave Bear came out, people either loved it or hated it. Many of my female friends really enjoyed it. Not sure if it appealed to men. I own a copy but always get side-tracked, although I think I started the book years ago when I purchased it. Can't remember exactly why I never went back to it.

And I don't think I'm familiar with the other title, Valley of the Horses, but it may very well be because I never read the first book.

Perhaps a contest as a spin-off of this thread? We HAVE to read one of our most-despised-never-got-through works? For what purpose? I suppose to be able to say we "did it," and who knows? -- how can all those folks who love a work be that wrong? what did I miss?

For me, I'd have to go back and pick up Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Then, if the poor soul is still living, I could send that college professor a note, letting them know I had finally finished it, but not to expect me to take a test or anything.

Another book comes to mind -- as much as I like Dickens, I never could get through Dombey and Son for some odd reason. Didn't do well on the test, needless to say, or the class discussion(s). When confronted with the question, on the test, "What did the staircase symbolize?," I did try hard to 'wing' that -- the ascention to heaven? a greater understanding to self, for the character? a contrast to his sinking to the depths of *whatever.* Perhaps there is no symbolism, and this is a trick question, Mr. _?_. Could 'wing' the writing assignment, because I could find literary criticism.

Man, but that professor was cruel too. He gave us the title, a date to have finished our reading, and we took a test (largely comprehension) before we ever discussed the work. Talk about tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
Anything by John Norman!!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:26 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
I am sure that there are many titles on this thread that another reader has really enjoyed.

My DH read Auel's series beginning with Clan of the Cave Bears. I always teased him that he was reading them for the wrong reason! He enjoyed them all.

I, on the other hand, did like Heart of Darkness. I usually relish all of Conrad's soul-searching stories.

I think that you had a very wise college professor. I would like to follow the same process if I had a high school literature class. Assign a book to read, give a deadline and then an essay test on symbolism, context, comprehension - let the content slide until the discussion took place.

However, I would then retest, and let the students judge for themselves how much discussion of a book influences the way we see things and how much more deeply we read into a book after discussion has opened up some doors.

I like the idea of reading one book from this thread, as well. I think we would find some interesting "new" comments about some of these dreaded books.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemkeeper View Post
I am sure that there are many titles on this thread that another reader has really enjoyed.

My DH read Auel's series beginning with Clan of the Cave Bears. I always teased him that he was reading them for the wrong reason! He enjoyed them all.

I, on the other hand, did like Heart of Darkness. I usually relish all of Conrad's soul-searching stories.

I think that you had a very wise college professor. I would like to follow the same process if I had a high school literature class. Assign a book to read, give a deadline and then an essay test on symbolism, context, comprehension - let the content slide until the discussion took place.

However, I would then retest, and let the students judge for themselves how much discussion of a book influences the way we see things and how much more deeply we read into a book after discussion has opened up some doors.

I like the idea of reading one book from this thread, as well. I think we would find some interesting "new" comments about some of these dreaded books.
I always preferred essay tests, myself, because it's so easy to bluff. I hated those multiple choice things, because I could make a perfectly good case for all the options.

Essays tests always remind me of one of my HS history teachers - he'd give tests like 'Compare and contrast administration X with administration Y. Be bright. You have one hour.'

Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
movingtohouston -- "Second worst for me was Grapes of Wrath (at least I think it was) by Steinbeck. Anyone who has to take 5 pages to describe a turtle crossing the road just doesn't cut it for me." For the same reason I put Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged on the toss-it-in-the-trash list ... she took more than two pages to describe Dagny Taggert staring through a store window.

Another snoozer for me was Moby Dick. I barely got beyond "Call me Ishmael" before the zzzzzzs hit. However, Melville's short story, The Piazza, was a far different story (pun unintended), and I've read and reread that a bazillion times.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM

128 posts, read 308,197 times
So amen on the Hemingway. I wanted to die after the 22 "and" in one paragraph. Please, use a comma!

I also was brought to tears with Dickens, and not the good kind. I am very picky about my classic lit.

Some modern writers who I can't read are Danielle Steel and Tami Hoag. I tried but failed with those.

My biggest pet peeves are simple sentences and present or present progessive tense. "I go to the store." "I eat pizza." "I'm running in the park."

How about, "please kill me."

Old 03-09-2008, 09:59 PM

266 posts, read 911,420 times
Worst book I ever read was a self-published mystery novel written by an acquaintance. Beware of self-published books.

"The Da Vinci Code" is not the worst book ever, but probably the most overrated. Very average book in terms of writing and character development and horribly inaccurate in what it tries to pass off as fact.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:

My biggest pet peeves are simple sentences and present or present progessive tense. "I go to the store." "I eat pizza." "I'm running in the park."

How about, "please kill me."
[/quote]

It's all context:

"How do you relieve stress?" "I go to the store."

"What do you usually have for dinner?" "I eat pizza."

"Please kill me." "Now or later?"

See?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
Worst book I ever read was a self-published mystery novel written by an acquaintance. Beware of self-published books.
BTDT. [shuddering]

Title was Two Tramps in Jazz Time: A Chapbook of Poetry. Or something like that. And he was sooo proud of it, I didn't have the heart to even mention the word 'derivative' to him. And it was not well-written, either.

And I did not include him in the list of authors I met/knew in that other thread.

Last edited by karibear; 03-09-2008 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 PM

128 posts, read 308,197 times
I see exactly what you meanabout the context, and in dialogue I do think that short sentences work. I was talking about the narration. I once read a book, well, tried to read a book, in which the first paragraph was made up of all simple sentences. For example, "She looked at the roof. It had a hole. She wondered if she should repair it. She thought about the cost of the repairs." It just makes a book incredibly hard to read. But that may be a persons preference, so I shall say no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books