Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times

Advertisements

I probably buy five or six books every two or three weeks. Of course, when Borders has a sale ("Buy four books, and get the fifth free!"), I'm in trouble.

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment, so you can imagine how the books add up. They're everywhere! I went to a book swap almost a year ago... and probably compounded the problem by taking home more books than I brought! That didn't exactly work.

I don't know how many books I have now. That's a scary thought, especially for the day I move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I recognize that trouble. When I lived in NYC and had to pass not one but three book stores on the way home...I bought more than I bought groceries.

(and so good to see ya, SandyCo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I probably buy five or six books every two or three weeks. Of course, when Borders has a sale ("Buy four books, and get the fifth free!"), I'm in trouble.

I live in a 2-bedroom apartment, so you can imagine how the books add up. They're everywhere! I went to a book swap almost a year ago... and probably compounded the problem by taking home more books than I brought! That didn't exactly work.

I don't know how many books I have now. That's a scary thought, especially for the day I move!

Last edited by ontheroad; 03-18-2008 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 10:41 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
SandyCo and ontheroad, does this ever strike a cord with me! I find myself sneaking into the house about 3 or 4 times a month with several books at a time.

I say sneak, because DH is retired now and only gets his books from the public library. Whereas, I find such pleasure in owning my books and lending them that I find a sale too hard to resist! Some books I have had for a year or so and still have not had the time to read them.

Perhaps the first mistake I made was to give my email address to Books-A-Million and Borders! Do they ever go a week without some sale or special?

I can conquer this; I know I can.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:24 PM

323 posts, read 835,060 times
Hello. My name is Bethany and I am a Book Addict. I pick up all kinds of books at yard sales, second hand stores, bookstores, church sales, discount stores, etc. I love them. I collect them. And my friends think it is a strange hobby. I am just old school...I love the simplicity of reading a good book.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 PM

133 posts, read 534,408 times
I buy three or four books every two weeks. I'm a starving college kid, so it would probably do my bank account a lot of good to take advantage of the libraries on campus. But I've always liked to keep the books that I read, even if it's the worst book I've ever read.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
I buy probably 95% of my books at thrift shops. On my birthday, I came home with 12 books. I over probably over 120 books that I have not read yet. I once went to the library and got a book, reading it, enjoying it, turn the page and there's some dried food in it. I've had a serious problem with getting books from the library since then.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:34 AM

5 posts, read 6,877 times
One a week maybe - but that ends up the same price as a 3 for 2 offer or something so it's more like 3 a week. God forbid I get a Kindle...!

The other problem I have is I've signed up to a book site called Bookarmy [http://www.bookarmy.com] where you say what books you've read and are reading and it recommends more - it keeps recommeding books that seems really interesting and I go out and buy them immediately! Oh well, just a pile of books to the ceiling to read this month then...

Last edited by busylearner; 03-19-2009 at 05:44 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Sounds like we're all members of "Book Addicts Anonymous"! When I go to yard sales, thrift shops, etc., I'm mostly looking for books. I utilize our library which sells used, donated books for a fraction of the price. I'm constantly rummaging through the local bookstores, for their sales items. I rarely buy new books for full-price at the bookstores, unless it's something I can't find anywhere else. I scan the bookshelves, take note of any interesting books, write them down, and check out Amazon, as I have found that I can usually get such books much cheaper, and if I spend at least $25, I get free shipping. It's generally worth it, to wait a few extra days to save money.

My bookshelves are so full, that many of my books are lying vertically, because I have no more room to stand them up. I rarely divest myself of any of my books. I just can't bring myself to let them go. I have books that I haven't read yet, though I certainly have every intention of doing so, someday... My preference is for nicely bound books, but, they are expensive, so I'm not a book snob. I will buy any and all, hardbound, and softbound, alike. So long as the covers are in place, and the pages are reasonably intact, I'll buy it.

I've had people laugh at me, because I've often said that if I could have either the internet, or all the books I want, but not both, I'd choose books. Not that I don't like the internet, obviously, but, like Bethany, I love the simplicity of a book. I like the feel of it in my hands. I don't have to rely on internet connections, electricity, or anything complicated to read my books. All I need is decent lighting, and I'm good to go. There is something warm, friendly, comforting, and familiar in reading a book that an internet connection just can't give me.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:07 AM

285 posts, read 616,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Hello. My name is Bethany and I am a Book Addict. I pick up all kinds of books at yard sales, second hand stores, bookstores, church sales, discount stores, etc. I love them. I collect them. And my friends think it is a strange hobby. I am just old school...I love the simplicity of reading a good book.
Hi. I'm Gypsyrhydyr and I'm addicted to the printed word. I do not now (nor ever will) desire to read a book on my computer, cell phone, hand-held gadget or (God forbid) read a "condensed" book. I want/need/desire the weight and heft of a book in my hand. I want to turn the page to see what surprise is next. A previous reader's notation. A turn of phrase, a new idea or thought provoking concept.....

How I do go on.....OK. Numbers. Right this minute my actual number of books is waaaaaaaay down. My husband & I sold our house in December, loaded up the truck (OK, it was a moving van-poetic license) and moved to Wrangell, AK. We were "downsizing" and one of the things I did was get rid of almost all my books. I kept 3 boxes of my very favorite favs but the rest needed new homes.

I sold 630 books to a book dealer who handles first editions, autographed books and specialty items/esoteric stuff. All (most) of the sci-fi & fantasy went to my nieces (782). I donated to our local library 22 banana boxes of paperbacks, textbooks, used books, and book club books (2011). 300 cookbooks were passed out among friends and family. The last 12 banana boxes of miscellaneous books went to the Purple Heart thrift store (1206). That comes to:4629.

I kept (counting dh's books on hunting and reloading) 400. And I've already started adding....I'm hopelessly unable to say no to a book I want. On the other hand, reading DOES keep me off the streets and outta pool halls. And I "justify" buying a lot of my books by buying them at discount tables, resale shops, discards from the library, etc. I only buy new, full-price books if that is the only way to get it...and I can't find it at the library (where I am on a first name basis).

You could say that I'm just a book junkie!

Last edited by Gypsyrhydyr; 03-19-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: bad spellar

Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrhydyr View Post
...We were "downsizing" and one of the things I did was get rid of almost all my books. I kept 3 boxes of my very favorite favs but the rest needed new homes.
Wow! I admire your fortitude! How in the world did you manage that?! I do have my favorite ones, of course, but, good golly, I can't imagine giving up the majority of my books. That would almost be like giving up my kids, or my animals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books