Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Unless you live in a quite large market, it is very unlikely that you have a local bookstore that is not part of a huge national franchised chain.
It actually (usually) works the opposite way. Smaller communities are considered too small for the box stores, so indie stores thrive, providing a richer experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Aside from the Christian bookstores, I have only a Walden and a Hastings within a 2-hour drive. I feel no community incentive to support them.
Yeah... for some reason Texas is kind of a blackhole for independent businesses, especially bookstores. Few and far between. What a different lifestyle... Where's the Texan entrepreneurial spirit?
Here in Colorado, almost every small (and large) town you go through has an indie bookstore, each with its own personality... What a beautiful thing. You want to know the personality of a town you're considering moving to? Check out its bookstores. The selection there will expose the politics, economic concerns, etc. If there are no indie bookstores, rest assured that literacy and open discourse are not core values of that community. If there're nothing but chain bookstores, you could live basically anywhere else in the country and live in that same town. Boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 07:39 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I'm lucky because we live in a town with an excellent library system. Otherwise I would spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
Haven't been to Wal-Mart in almost a decade. Haven't bought a car in almost as long. I don't make very much money at all, but live smarter so that I can support local businesses and my local community's economy, which I see as a moral imperative. I realize that it's about more than me and that I belong to something larger and more rich than I would if I merely based my decision on the contents of my wallet. I'm able to look my friends and neighbors in the eye, knowing that should their businesses fail in these difficult times, it won't be because of me.

You're trying to rationalize your exploitation of local businesses with your own economic sob story, and thereby hugely missing the point.

Call it harsh, if you will. Your behavior speaks volumes.
Ah, well, it's nice that some folks are so much smarter in their economic lifestyle than the rest of us, that it can also afford them to be ugly, in a condescending fashion, towards other folks about how they spend their money. I support local businesses, where and when I can, based on my wallet, not yours. If that doesn't meet your superior standards, that's your problem. And, on that note, I'm done with this discussion.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:32 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
I haven't bought any books for several months. I am a regular library user and use their online reserve system to have the books I want sent to the branch closest to my home. I love the library!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,704 times
I manage to "acquire" by various means probably an average of five books per week. Sometimes more, other times less. I hardly ever buy from big box stores, maybe only once or twice a year, usually only if I'm given a gift card or if it is a "book emergency." I'm a librarian so books tend to literally fall into my lap. People bring me boxes of them. I shop at thrift stores, garage sales, library book sales, and free online book sites. Between these sources, I usually find what I need. Occasionally I'll buy from ebay or use the library. I try to keep my own book pile to about 1,000. I just moved and it almost killed me, two friends, and my vehicle moving the things....Oh well, that is the life of a book junkie.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,120 times
I am a collector of hoping-to-read-them-all books! At the end of the year, my bank sends me all the purchases I have made on my credit card and Amazon (used books) takes up 75%!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,336 times
Over the years I've cleaned out my book collection (not the comic books though!) a few times, and I still have way too many. I buy one book about once a month or two or three, so not all that often, but I tend to hoard them. If my mother has a book that looks interesting and leaves it laying around I'm likely to snatch it up and read it and then stuff it onto my book case for a few years.

I haven't been buying books recently because I can't afford them and I don't have time to read them (especially because I have big expensive college books I should be reading instead). But I seem to have stocked up on old garage sale books over the years to keep me occupied for a while.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Mostly I order books at Amazon. Our local book stores don't have many English books and the ones they have are rather expensive.

I usually order 4-6 times a year and mostly 4-6 books come with each delivery. I also borrow books from friends or download audio books.

My book collection was cleaned out 3 years ago when we moved into our new home and I brought 2 big boxes to a kind of librabry. In February I ordered a new shelf from a store which is specialized in library systems and the shelf will arrive in about 6 weeks. With the new space I might order some more books lol...

Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I haven't bought any books for several months. I am a regular library user and use their online reserve system to have the books I want sent to the branch closest to my home. I love the library!
That is a really great option. Unfortunately our libraries don't offer that and their English collection is rather limited to some love stories or older volumes of fiction.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
I've transitioned from buying a lot of books to simply using the library.

I've tons of books now, rarely look at them after I read them. We lugged them across the country when we moved and I'll take very few of them with me the next time we move, which will be to a much smaller home, someday.

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books